Great North Run 2013

Come one, come all; everyone welcome on this year long build up to the GNR

2,241 to 2,260 of 4,717 messages
06/02/2013 at 08:09
I think the 18 place thing was purely to hurry people along and get club entries in before the masses started applying.

Good morning everyone, yet another cold, windy, miserable day outside but dont worry surely it cant get any worse, oh actually it can, snowstorms and freezing frost due all day today, fanbloodytastic.
06/02/2013 at 10:48

As much as I miss the North East (and will move back there some day) the South has one (and only one) advantage THE WEATHER - still managing to get most of my runs in outside at moment

06/02/2013 at 15:33
26 miles today then Sheilsy ! That's dedication !
A Rare day off today but no running as had to hold big meeting in Manchester yesterday and so still very tired and battling the snow again wasn't much fun. My poor Irish colleagues didn't make it as they weren't landing aircraft at Manchester yesterday.. Thankfully it's all gone now.
Will get out on Sunday for a cheeky few miles I hope
Hope you're runs go well stringy and well done all n the on line entries, sounds fun
06/02/2013 at 21:04
Hi all, just wondering. Apols if this has been asked before.

This is year 2/3 for me on the great north run membership. After next years run, can I renew this (for a further three years) or is it back to the ballot for me? Just wondering like.....
06/02/2013 at 21:07
Yes you get option to renew each 3 years
06/02/2013 at 21:15
Sweet. Didn't fancy the ballot much

Didn't realise this thread was so full of local Newcastle runners - good to see! Foud a nice route on the coast road today that goes into a lovely path that leads to Silverlink. Wagon ways I think it's called. Nice 10 mile route....anyways. Cheers!
07/02/2013 at 10:13

Hi Adrian and welcome.  It's always nice to find a new route isn't it.  Sometimes it gets boring running along the same roads so finding somewhere new doesn't make it seem as much as a slog ... until the novelty wears off .

I should have done a 9 miler last night but wasn't able to.  For one thing it was bitingly cold up here and windy so it would have been just horrible.  Plus, I was expecting an electrician mate of ours to pop round after work as one of our RCDs keeps tripping (usually when no-one is in the house, so no appliances being used).  I told him I'd be available from 4pm onwards.  At 7.30pm he called to say he couldn't make it  so it was too late by then to get out anyway.

I'll try and get out tonight instead.

07/02/2013 at 10:27

I quite like the Coast Road. The monotony of the run feels like a good test as the miles pass by. Can't beat the Quayside and Tyne Bridge though - love running up throuhg town and past St James - good hill work out!

Long run at the weekend - 21 miler - so may see some of you oooot and aboooot.

07/02/2013 at 12:41
Afternoon shielsey, enjoy run later, its freezing out there again but no wind for once !

Adrian - welcome to the thread, theres loads of north east based runners on here, we stretch from whitley bay down to teeside !
07/02/2013 at 13:43

Afternoon all

I must be finding some mojo at last as I'm looking forward to tonight's run even though the wind is blowing and it's quite cold. No snow or ice, not that we've had much here.

Mrs LFC got her redundancy notice from the council she works for the other day. The good news is, she had a redeployment meeting and has been offered another job, still within the council, just for less hours. Better than no hours.

07/02/2013 at 13:46

lfc - good and bad news on Mrs LFC but in todays climate work is a bonus. Good to hear your Mojo is back

07/02/2013 at 18:29

ballot results being emailed as we speak, im in, who else???????

07/02/2013 at 18:35
Hi everyone!

I'm in! Just recieved an email confirming my place through the ballot. It's my first time, I'm a fairly new runner and to say I'm excited is an understatement!

I've got rhuematoid arthritis (in my ankle- erk!) but have had the all clear to run from my podiatrist, physio and rhumatologist this week which is handy.

Currently up to 7miles on the long runs and hope for less pain once the warmer weather comes. But it hurts to walk, so I might as well run, don't you think?
07/02/2013 at 20:39
My daughter failed to get in via ballot - luckily we had a charity place for her if this happened so I will still be able to run round with her
07/02/2013 at 21:32
Evening everyone, just got my email and thats 6 years on the trot im in through the ballot !

See you all in september
07/02/2013 at 21:35
SJ - can I have this weeks lottery numbers please - although I am member so get in every year I always miss out on London ballot and first time my daughter tries she fails as well. Well done SJ
07/02/2013 at 21:38

Well done to everyone who got places in the ballot.  Hard lines about your daughter, BP, but at least with the charity place you can still run it together.  Maybe we might get to meet you both in September.

Blimmin' freezing again tonight.  Wrapped up warm and went out after work for a cheeky 9 miler that I should have done yesterday.  I was dreading it but actually quite enjoyed it.  

My skin was the colour of salmon once I got home.

07/02/2013 at 21:41
Skielsy - will definitely try to meet you and th rest. What time will you be running GNR in
07/02/2013 at 22:51

BP - I did the GNR in 1:46 last year, but that was a total fluke, dunno where that came from.  I'd be happy with 1:55 - 1:50.

08/02/2013 at 07:17

Hello all, I just got my email, and I've been accepted!

Im a first time half marathoner and would like to ask a question, how does the GNR course compare to other HM courses? Is it fast? 

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.