Great North Run 2013

Come one, come all; everyone welcome on this year long build up to the GNR

2,301 to 2,320 of 4,717 messages
11/02/2013 at 13:23

K80 - welcome

14 miler for me today - thats after my new i-phone arrives so I can sign for it, bet that will be 5 O'clock!!

11/02/2013 at 13:23
Mr SJ - ta

Shielsy - that is the first 20 miler but I do feel like I've been doing a lot of running! I hope it all pays off!!!!!

Just on case anyone is interested I'm doing VLM for HeartUK. This is a charity which supports people with inherited high cholesterol conditions and raises funds for research. I work in this area so seemed sensible. I am again hoping to break Guinness record for fastest female dressed as doctor (sub 4 hours). If you wish to sponsor me I' ll add site address shortly.
11/02/2013 at 22:05
14miler done late this afternoon first 8 miles weather ok then last 6 miles cold sleet into face. Never mind run done
K80
11/02/2013 at 22:51
Thanks everyone for the welcome

There are some serious miles being trod on here.

I managed to do 16k yesterday (my longest run for months). I got lost again. You'll hear that a lot from me
11/02/2013 at 22:58

K80 - don't worry if you get lost on the day just follow the signs for South Shields

Nice run there Bearsted!

Nice run Fiona

12/02/2013 at 00:26

Good luck with the VLM Fiona. Unfortunatly I won't be there to watch in London like last year, but i'll be fixed to the TV instead.

12/02/2013 at 10:39

Stringy - I'll just think of you as I whizz past the 24 mile marker.  Or more likely try not to collapse.

As I said here is my sponsorship page:

http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/FionaSmith4

if anyone feels that they would like to sponsor me.

K80 - just ignore all the high mileages, a few of us are doing spring marathons this year.

Vixx - how's it going?

Bearsted - did the iphone turn up at a reasonable time?

12/02/2013 at 11:03

FJ - yep it arrived at 2:50pm so was out running just after 3pm which meant all the run was before got dark. I will go onto your sponsorship page at sometime it is for a great cause.

12/02/2013 at 11:05

Very quick visit from me - just wanted to share my first TR24 nightmare with you all from last night.

I dreamt the location was changed to a little village and there was no camping, everyone was staying in the houses around the course. i somehow got split up from everyone else and when I finished my lap there was no-one to hand my wristband to so I went to my house to find i was sharing it with my ex husband!! . This stopped me from having a shower as I didn't want to undress in front of him and then I couldn't find the food tent.

I eventually found everyone else, who were staying in a big house all together, only to be told Shielsy had moved to the Willy Wonka team which meant the Thunder Crackers had less time to recover in between laps!!!

I was panicking and XL was there and calmed me down (in true XL- way, always says the right thing at the right time, love him).

Anyhow, I woke up in a right tizzy so just wanted to share it with you all !!!!

Got to dash - work calling - speak soon! xx

12/02/2013 at 11:11

Wow - and all that in one dream - wish I had such dreams

12/02/2013 at 11:54

That dream has made me laugh out loud!  Especially the bit about me joining the Willy Wonka team ... as if they'd have me!

(is it too early to start getting excited about TR24?  )

12/02/2013 at 13:17

Mandie - when you have these dreams do things usually turn out wel...or is it a bad omen???? XL - might not be too keen on the idea of being present at an endurance event methinks.

12/02/2013 at 14:26
Mandie - being the amateur dream analyst that iam, i believe that dream signifies you are properly mad bonkers.

Shielsey - you would always be welcome as part of the wonkas ! We would just need to ensure you keep a 2 feet exclusion zone round all guy ropes

Im already in planning mode for tr24 ! Need a new headtorch this year and planning on when to buy my new road shoes so my current ones can become my tr24 ones !!

Club grand prix tonight, last one was cancelled due to ice so looking forward to tonights, 3.55 miles and current pb of 24:2? , aiming for a 23 something tonight
12/02/2013 at 15:45

Mandie/Shielsy - I'm excited about TR24! And I am doing the Lightning Run too  Don't worry about the nightmares Mandie - I'll be having them once we get the London Marathon out of the way....

I need a new head torch also mr sj - need to find one that is nice and bright....  Good luck with the Grand Prix tonight

Fiona - there would be nothing to stop XL coming down just for the craic if he so wished!

Hi Bearsted

12/02/2013 at 16:49
mr sj wrote (see)
Mandie - being the amateur dream analyst that iam, i believe that dream signifies you are properly mad bonkers.

I agree. As mad as a box of frogs.

12/02/2013 at 17:31
Right you lot I seem to have an injury I have not had before and I need to know what t might be. It is a sharp pain when I run just to the left and slightly below my left knee cap - it's almost as though I just want to click it back into place. I am hopeful it is not major but I am a little nervous on that.
12/02/2013 at 20:32
Bearsted Plodder wrote (see)
Right you lot I seem to have an injury I have not had before and I need to know what t might be. It is a sharp pain when I run just to the left and slightly below my left knee cap - it's almost as though I just want to click it back into place. I am hopeful it is not major but I am a little nervous on that.

I've been getting a little knee niggle which sounds a bit like that too, BP.  Nothing so bad that it stops me running though, but on my long run on Saturday I felt a sharp stabbing pain which thankfully only lasted a few seconds but in that time I did think my knee was going to buckle.  I was fine after that though.

How's the achilles, XL?

Hill session tonight with the club - 12 times up and down, no recoveries.  4.15 miles in total.  I didn't go all out because of the Royal Signals relays at the weekend, so Vicki and I just ran it steadily together (though I was still shattered by the end.)

12/02/2013 at 20:37
Shielsy - that is some session well done. I have an awful idea I may have an ITB issue as pain is there all the time when running. I will start to do the stretches needed to see if I can release it. Failing that it will be a physio to see if that is what it is and then the very very painful ITB strip
12/02/2013 at 21:23

Bearsted - I'd go with the ITB strip before it gets more painful than it is.....

Hi Shielsy!

12/02/2013 at 21:46
Cheers Vixx - I am going to stretch for next 2 nights with rest and then try my long run Saturday and if no good then I will go for strip
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.