Great North Run 2013

Come one, come all; everyone welcome on this year long build up to the GNR

2,541 to 2,560 of 4,716 messages
04/03/2013 at 11:31

Mandie, that's a very good run on the back of not a lot of training recently. You must have a lot of natural stamina. I bet it all looked beautiful there in the good weather - a lovely course.

04/03/2013 at 13:30

Thanks for all your lovely comments - legs are a bit tired today so, now I've done my bit at the kennels and walked the dog, I'm going to have a sofa-afternoon!

Bob Parr - good for you for all your volunteering. The penguin programmes were just wonderful - they are amazing animals, and yes, I'm looking forward to Crufts, especially the terriers (having a Westie, I'm always a bit biased towards them).

Sorecalf - well done on your 10k - don't be disappointed with your time at all - you did really well. Your gym sounds great and if you can get out running with the group on a regular basis I'm sure you'll soon find your times improving.

Andy Smithsky - well done on your 12 miles, pity about the cramp but with a time like that, you should be on for a new pb very soon!

04/03/2013 at 15:01
Welcome back bob parr !

Well ive just entered another couple of races so think im pretty sorted for the year now, still debating a couple of events around nov and dec and toying with the idea of alnwick half in june but not sure yet. Really looking forward to thinder run yet again, taking on daley thompson in the kielder duathlon and the GNR obviously !
05/03/2013 at 00:23

Great run Mandie- you'll be whizzing round the TR course!

Bob -that's a lot of volunteering at parkrun.  We have one runner who's done 74 out of our 87 parkruns and never volunteered once- I guess you make up for characters like that.  I think he must be very thick skinned.

05/03/2013 at 13:18

Hope this works!

Me!

05/03/2013 at 13:18

Yay!!

05/03/2013 at 13:22

Yeah that works - great pics and what scenery - you know how to make a born and bred northerner who has lived in South for far too many years feel jealous about what he is missing out on as far as scenery goes. Great tribute to Mick as well.

05/03/2013 at 13:33

Mandie - that's a fab picture and the other one of Steve is also good too.

05/03/2013 at 13:43
Great picture. No surprise you got chatted up!
05/03/2013 at 14:01

Nice pic mandie!

05/03/2013 at 15:39

BP - It is just beautiful up there, and to think its just over an hour and a half from my front door! (sorry to rub it in some more )

SoreCalf -

Thanks Fiona and Vixx.

05/03/2013 at 15:50

Mandie - spent many a day and weekend there when I was a kid and remember it so well.

05/03/2013 at 17:16

Great photo Mandie, found this one of You and Steve in that collection too.  I've looked on the SAFC website and they are selling this years shirts for £20 so I've ordered one.  Best I start to look at events to enter so I have somewhere to wear it!

05/03/2013 at 19:17

Cheers for the heads up Bob Parr - I need to order me one too! Hope they have at least an XL! (But not a camel shaped XL  )

05/03/2013 at 22:39

Terrific photos Mandie and well done on a cracking time.

06/03/2013 at 21:15
Nice photo Mandie,how did you manage a smile at the top of that hill
07/03/2013 at 00:32

Mandie- looks like you were enjoying that hill far too much

07/03/2013 at 22:59

Hi everyone! How's the training going? I'm feeling a bit sore as I write this, I had to compress my midweek runs into back to back sessions yesterday and today, I prefer to have a day's gap, but work got in the way

Happily I did manage to join the gym running group again this lunchtime, we did a tempo run for about 20 mins and then a really interesting sprint session - several laps of a circuit, sprinting the first 20%, jogging the rest and then doubling the sprint distance on each successive lap (theres probably a name or easier way to describe this activity?) it was a lot of fun and without doubt I worked harder than I would have done just doing my usual lunchtime 5K. (maybe even harder because I was the only guy in a group of 10 rather athletic young ladies )

I was planning on doing a night time 6k trail race up a local hill on Saturday night, but I think I'll give it a miss - my legs are feeling a bit tight this week, so I'll rest until Sunday and do a moderate 10-12k . I'd hate to tear my calf again.

Anyone used a foam roller? The sports massage girl at the gym recommended I bought one - I'd be intrested in hearing about any experiences with them.

07/03/2013 at 23:27
Sorecalf,well done on the lunch time run,wish I could do that at my work. I was shown a foam roller while getting physio last year,fairly uncomfortable but worth it in the end.I had a few issues with a tight itb band and a torn hamstring,think its pretty much sorted now.
08/03/2013 at 07:51

Sorecalf - yes got one and certainly works if as spongecake does say painful.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.