Great North Run 2013

Come one, come all; everyone welcome on this year long build up to the GNR

2,721 to 2,740 of 4,716 messages
25/03/2013 at 21:03
Where you going for your run Fiona
25/03/2013 at 21:18

Sorry to hear about your Mom Bearsted

Mandie - I stopped wearing the top initially because the lycra was making me look like a very oddly shaped sausage but with a t-shirt over the top I don't feel so odd.  They are good products though!

Hope you feel better soon CC2!

Where are you away to Fiona?

Hi mr sj

I wonder if Stringy got the parcel I sent him yet.....

26/03/2013 at 20:08
Having to try and remember run routes from 30 years ago to do this week when I am up in Stockton. I think I can remember a route I used for my training in 1981 for the first GNR.
26/03/2013 at 20:47
Bear - sorry only just got back on the forum. Most likely I will do a mind numbing run from Benton to the town moor then 3 laps of the Marathon route round there and then home.

Vixx - my sister gave us a voucher for some hotel in Yorkshire somewhere and this weekend was the only time they had availability which was handy so I don't need to take any days off to go.
26/03/2013 at 22:09

Have a good time then Fiona

How's your Mom doing Bearsted?

27/03/2013 at 07:37

Morning everyone

Bearsted - I hope your mum is doing better.

CC2 - look after that cold and don't be tempted to get out for a few miles too soon and set yourself back.

Really busy at the moment in work and home, but getting out more for my runs now which is finally starting to help my fitness. I did 4 miles with the club last night without the need for any walking and my knee didn't give me as much trouble as it has of late. Off to the doctors tomorow to try and get it looked at properly though.

27/03/2013 at 08:28

lfc - sounds bit better news on your knee here's hoping

On my way up to Stockton today will go and see my mam this afternoon and try and speak to doctors as it seems they are not surre what is fully wrong yet and what the growth is that is causing the obstruction.

Thanks for all the concern it is much appreciated. I may be getting a bit paranoid but my father died 18 years ago from cancer and that was only 2 months after going into hospital and being diagnosed. Stupid thing about that was he was a hospital chaplain and had known within himself that he had a problem with his prostate but told no one and waited until he retired to go and get it seen to by which time it had spread.

29/03/2013 at 10:46
Just a post to get the thread back where I can see t instead of having t trawl pages. Still trying to come up with a route for my 20miler tomorrow but.think I might be there now.
29/03/2013 at 11:34

How is your Mom Bearsted?

29/03/2013 at 11:53
Just heard this morning - but further info difficult to find out - that she is to be operated on. They did not want to do this as she has a lung issue which might cause issues with surgery. I will know more later today as they can't tell me when the operation is even. I dispare with NHS hospitals they seem to big to be able to coordinate anything
29/03/2013 at 14:21

BP - I hope your mam's operation goes well.  Parents are such a worry.

Not been on the thread for a while as I've fallen a bit out of love with running at the moment and the marathon training has kind of fallen apart.

I'm just sick of running in freezing cold conditions all the time, it just seems like never-ending snow and wind. Coupled with the fact that I have pain behind my left knee most of the time, and I've just got some Nimbus 14s which I don't like ... they don't seem to have any bounce to them and are making running even more of a chore than it is already given the injury and cold conditions.

However, I'm just back from Elswick's Good Friday Road Relays, which I quite enjoyed.  Plus I got a 'Come on Jarrow' from Steve Cram as I ran past.

29/03/2013 at 15:45
Shielsy - try and get the mojo back - weather for you lot in North has been foul. I have experienced the worst of the NHS today - one part
Doesn't know what the other has said. When surgeon came to talk to me he mows says no news to operate at moment - this is second time this has happened in a week as though my mam is not under enough stress. What's made it worse was he could not see what problem was.
29/03/2013 at 15:59

Bearsted - log everything that's discussed as if you need to make a complaint then you have all the evidence ready to hand, rather than having to think about what you were told and when.

I'm getting messed around so much that I log things and take a witness with me to my appointments, plus my main doctor has now insisted that ALL correspondence is copied to me because I am not getting letters either

Generally, I think the NHS is fantastic, but there are areas where the left and right hand need to know what each other is doing.

Shielsy - sorry to hear you aren't enjoying your running at the moment. Wouldn't it be great though if you had a fantastic day at the marathon after all the hard hours you have logged. I'll bet MtM will be smiling down on you on the day

29/03/2013 at 16:22
Vixx - totally agree with you on NHS as a whole then it is let down by bad communication and arrogant doctors who don't realise they are there to help the patients
29/03/2013 at 16:44

Shielsy- hope that Steve's support (isn't he Stringy's friend?) will have re-invigorated your mojo.  Its not long to go now and we are tapering after this weekend- the best part of marathon training .  Just think what you achieved already in the last  months training.

Bearstead- hope things progress well with your mum.

29/03/2013 at 17:10
Cheers OS
29/03/2013 at 17:56

OS - I have to say, I think that after some of the training conditions we have all had to endure, the race itself will be much more bearable

29/03/2013 at 20:42

Vixx- I quite agree.  Assuming that the conditions DO improve in the next 3 weeks

29/03/2013 at 20:47

If there's no snow on the ground it's an improvement!

29/03/2013 at 21:46
Shielsy,Stringy and Mr sj will be gid jealous.
BP,hoping your mam has a swift recovery.
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.