Great North Run 2013

Come one, come all; everyone welcome on this year long build up to the GNR

2,781 to 2,800 of 4,717 messages
31/03/2013 at 21:54
Have rounded off a great day with a fantastic turkey dinner courtesy of my mother in law!
Thanks so much for all the congratulations, am still feeling on a high, and you're right Fiona, am already beginning to plan new target! Am beginning to feel a little more confident that I can go faster.....
Hope those lungs feel better in the morning CC2, a little grim but think I can imagine that horrid, metallic taste you're getting right now.
So, who's out for a run tomorrow?!
31/03/2013 at 22:11
Me !
31/03/2013 at 22:14
Great running Graham I hope I can be running as well when I reach an older age
31/03/2013 at 22:45

Cheers Bearsted Plodder. I think some older runners have a job keeping their motivation as times inevitably decline with age, but I didn't start until 59 so don't have any quick times to look back on earlier in life.

01/04/2013 at 13:32

Finally finished a weekend of night shifts, I believe Easter was in there somewhere but I seem to have missed it.

I'm so thrilled for everyone - you all sound like you had an amazing race yesterday - Well done everyone!

CC2 - you really are so lovely the way you encourage/motivate people - it sounds like XL still has you 'on his shoulder even after 12 months and I'm sure mr sj will hear your voice for a long time to come too!

Shielsy - so sorry to hear of your nigggles. Here's hoping thats all they are and that you recover soon. I'd be gutted for you, if you had to pulll out of the marathon after all your hard work.

Well no running for me again this weekend due to shifts, i'm afriad to report, and its not looking good for this week either. I'm not too worried at this stage as, when I do get out, I seem to be running quite well at the moment and my next event is TR24 so I have a few weeks before I need to pick things up again.

Edited: 01/04/2013 at 13:32
01/04/2013 at 21:43
Hi. Can I join this? Running my 3rd GNR this year. Run it when severely unfit last time so determined to get in shape this year.
02/04/2013 at 08:01
Good morning everyone and welcome to the forum claireruns
02/04/2013 at 08:45

Claireruns - welcome

02/04/2013 at 10:32

Good morning all and welcome to claireruns.

Just back from a steady (i.e slow!) 10K but it's the first half decent run since we became the southernmost tip of the Arctic circle!

Not a bad day in Huddersfield - plenty of sun today but still icy cold.

Edited: 02/04/2013 at 10:33
02/04/2013 at 13:31

Afternoon everyone - and welcome Claireruns.

My knee, whilst still a bit sore when it's extended, is feeling a lot better today than it did after my 19miles on Saturday.  Of course, I'm now sorely tempted to go out for a run tonight after work - I miss not running, and especially now that the nights are lighter.

But I'll try and be good and leave it.  See how it feels tomorrow.

I did however wake up this morning with a very bad back, until I remembered that I spent a good few hours yesterday in the garden, raking up leaves and trimming back hedges etc ... the first time I've had an opportunity to get out into the garden when it hasn't been raining, snowing, or just generally hideous, in ages.

Someone go out tonight and do a run for me, will you?

02/04/2013 at 13:56

Shielsy - I have 5x600 m intervals at 5K pace tonight, will that be sufficient. You can think of my pain and be relieved it's not you.   I hate that low back pain and backside ache you get when you spend hours in the gardens bending and stretching over when weeding.

Claireruns - welcome to the thread. We will make sure that you are totally prepared this year for GNR.

Roy - the weather has just turned beautifully in the last few days although it is still pretty cold.

Mandie - do you have a few days off now?

02/04/2013 at 14:29

Shielsy - like Fiona I have an interval session tonight 4x 1mile at 10K pace. Rest the knee as much as you can better to not run until say Thursday - but if you like me that will be hard but I did it earlier in March and it worked and I do not feel guilty now.

02/04/2013 at 14:47

I can't help you tonight, Sorry Shielsy. I'm off to my mums for a couple of nights.

Fiona - got a busy couple of days off this week. In the morning I'm taking my mum and her other half for a mystery day out. I'm treating them both to a day at Highclere Castle, where Downton Abbey is filmed (don't tell them tho as they haven't got a clue where we are going!)

I booked the tickets last November after one of my work colleagues told me it was in North Wales near Caernarfon (1.5-2 hour journey) and it was only when I looked properly at the website that I realised it was nowhere near there and that its actually in Berkshire (3.5 hours away!!!). My colleague got his facts wrong as the owners are titled as Earl and Countess of 'Carnarvon' - Doh!!

Hey ho - it should hopefully be a lovely day, if not a bloomin' long one!

02/04/2013 at 15:04

Have a great time Mandie

02/04/2013 at 16:22

Mandie - have a great day. Hope your mum doesn't follow the thread

02/04/2013 at 16:49

Is it mad that I'm actually jealous of Fiona and BP's interval sessions?  Hope you enjoy them.

I'll try not to run tomorrow (though it's a big ask, especially if the sun is shining).

Mandie - enjoy your day out tomorrow ... sounds amazing.  Let me know how it went!

02/04/2013 at 20:22
Interval session really good tonight - the same session 4 weeks ago was so hard in comparison - starting to really get my confidence back after my poor early year runs. 4 weeks to Marathon here's hoping no injuries and who knows what time may be possible
02/04/2013 at 20:57

Just a  flying visit.

For those who are interested, and haven't found them yet; NT 10k results

http://www.northtyneside.gov.uk/pls/portal/NTC_PSCM.PSCM_Web.download?p_ID=543670

02/04/2013 at 21:45
My intervals were pretty good too. I actually had one interval with a pace containing a 6 .

Shielsy - it's always tough when you can't run.

Bear - well done, fingers crossed for the marathon.

XL - Ta for the linky.
02/04/2013 at 22:20
Evening everyone,

Shielsey - you are welcome to a section of my run tonight, it was ridiculously hard going after sunday.

We did 4 x 1k at 3:46 pace !! With 90sec recoveries, started in a group of 6 and after the 2nd one we were reduced to a group of 3 with 3 guys lying on the grass trying not to vomit ! But im amazed to say i stuck with it and ran a 3:45, 3:44, 3:48 and a 3:44.
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.