Great North Run 2013

Come one, come all; everyone welcome on this year long build up to the GNR

3,261 to 3,280 of 4,717 messages
30/04/2013 at 14:45

Shielsy - how are you feeling today?

30/04/2013 at 15:05

Hi Fiona

I'm feeling much better, no dodgy stomach, no nausea etc.  Of course, I feel as weak as a  kitten but I'm just happy I'm not walking around the house with a bowl 'just in case'.  My legs feel a lot better too.  

You?

30/04/2013 at 15:25

Actually feeling not bad at all.  My legs are pretty much back to normal and I'm contemplating running tomorrow or maybe Thursday.

30/04/2013 at 15:41

Fiona - would that be another Marathon 'LOL'.

Good to hear you feeling better Shielsy

30/04/2013 at 17:18

Good to see you're feeling better, Shielsy.

also that you're recovering from your heroics, Fiona. are you going to be on the moor on Saturday.

Going out into the sunshine for a bimble later. Looking lovely at the moment.

30/04/2013 at 17:25

Hi folks,

Legs are less sore than yesterday but I feel knackered! Par for the course eh, Shielsy after Sunday . Glad you're feeling better. Was going to swim tonight but have just opted out in favour of a quiet evening.

30/04/2013 at 18:14

Nice 6 Mile walk tonight to stretch those legs out - feel better now

30/04/2013 at 18:26

I'm going for a recovery run in a bit to catch up with a friend who smashed her half mara PB at Stratford on Sunday. She's been trying for ages and it's gone down by about 20 minutes!

30/04/2013 at 18:41

XL - yep I'll be there. Wouldn't miss it. Only21 runs to go till I reach 50. It doesn't seem to be getting much closer.

RtG - glad you're legs are feeling better. That was a great PB By the way.

Vixx - that's a great PB especially if you've been struggling with it for ages.

Bear - that's a fairly long walk.

30/04/2013 at 19:21

I remember it feeling like the 30s lasted ages, Fiona, but then I rattled through the 40s.
Missing the whole of February slowed me down though. Pengwyn will be doing her 50th parkrun on Saturday  

That sounds like a very pleasant way to stretch the legs, BP

Enjoy your trot, Vixx

30/04/2013 at 20:31

XL - I know , I saw that in the results from last week. I best not hold her up this week cos a new PB on 50 would be fab if the conditions are right.

30/04/2013 at 22:26

Thank you - I had a good plod around. Knee felt a bit sitff to start, but was good overall

Fiona - I am chuffed, but at the same time I am now scheming to see when and where I might go sub-5.....

30/04/2013 at 22:30

Karlos - I've run a couple of races for Cancer Research.  They wouldn't stop you running if you didn't raise the money prior to the race as most sponsorship money is expected after you've done it.  I had a couple of polite reminders after as some money came in via Justgiving but the stuff you have to collect in person always takes a long time.  I don't think they would expect you to make up the money so long as you get close to your target, though you should take the agreement seriously and do your best.  I have heard of other charities who are a little more heavy handed.  One that I request a charity place through (something to do with trees) asked for my credit card details before they would let me have the place so they could take the rest if I failed! - needless to say I didn't take them up on their offer.

30/04/2013 at 22:58

She doesn't like to put pressure on herself by aiming for PBs, but Pen is going really well at the moment. I'm sure another sub-27 would be on the cards. She had a none too shabby run last week, in windy conditions.

On the charity point. I ran for Cystic Fibrosis in 2005. They wanted £250, but I managed over £400. They also paid my entry fee, some charities do that, some don't I believe. When I checked in to the charity tent afterwards, a lady asked me how much I expected to collect and was thrilled with what I told her. They gave me the impression that any donation was gratefully accepted, and I saw figures on her list that were below the asking amount, as well as many above.

I know it's a long time ago, so I expect the figure will have gone up, but if I were looking for a charity place, I would certainly check CF out first.

01/05/2013 at 19:05

Am so happy legs are back to normal already I could run down the stairs again at work today. Even managed to do a 5 mile run tonight and feeling good after that. Looking forward to Bristol 10K on Sunday.

01/05/2013 at 19:18

Bear - I contemplated a run but then the rain came on and I couldn't really be bothered so I didn't. As much as I love marathon training I also love having no goals.

01/05/2013 at 20:17

I couldn't resist it the sun was out and it was warm. I have no goals at moment util I start my schedule for York in July I am just doing what I want

01/05/2013 at 22:59

I'm getting ready for Luxembourg

02/05/2013 at 08:08

Is that just because you really love luxembourg vixx or have you done aomething silly like entering another marathon ??

02/05/2013 at 11:58

Vixx - Is that the night marathon?? that is only on June 8th you are mad mad mad

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.