Great North Run 2013

Come one, come all; everyone welcome on this year long build up to the GNR

3,921 to 3,940 of 4,717 messages
17/06/2013 at 22:50

Hi,

ive just been on an alternative run with a bordering club, havnt pushed myself that hard for years, I feel great now but was ready to turn bak after first mile ! It was on a local hill so multi terrain all off road. Think ill ache in the morning, that's if the pain swears off enough for me too sleep tonight !

17/06/2013 at 23:31

Shrek ! wrote (see)

Think ill ache in the morning, that's if the pain swears off enough for me too sleep tonight !

Shrek - is that a freudian mispelling? .

I did the last in the series of 4 Sri Chinmoy races in Oxford so I was racing for the 2nd/3rd V40 place. It was a 4 mile race and as we set off the lead V40 was well ahead but there were 3 of us running shoulder to shoulder for the next 2 miles. We went through 3 miles 30secs faster than I'd run the 3 mile race in the series last month and then one of our group dropped off the back leaving me and the other V40 to battle it out.  He beat me by 5 secs so I got the 3rd place prize for the series but got a PB for the race by 30 secs.  Just shows what a bit of competition can do for you .

18/06/2013 at 07:12

Fantastic running shadowfax, its amazing how the rivalry with someone can drag you round faster than you would ever think ! Ive got a race early next month and me and a clubmate are beginning to ramp up the war of words on who's going to win it !! Its lihgt hearted banter but neither he nor i will give an inch in the race and im hoping that competition will get me round in a new 5m pb and probably sneak through a 5k pb at the same time !!

shrek - brilliant running, well done

Looks like all our thunder runners are coming into some top form just in time, lots of pb's and trail runs taking place.  Ive invested in a new headtorch that is officially brighgter than the sun, a new tent (which i won in a halfords competition!) and some new trail shoes, cant wait for it this year

18/06/2013 at 08:00

OS - Great running that is a massive PB for the race

18/06/2013 at 09:19

OS - well done on the race!  I agree with competition makes you work harder ... I discovered that when doing the Vets relays last week, when I was neck and neck with a lady from Heaton the whole time. She beat me by a few seconds but I've never ran that fast before.

Shrek - well done on your hard session ... good practice for Thunder Run.

mr sj - you have another tent? Didn't you just get one a couple of years ago?  I'm keeping everything crossed that we have lovely weather again for TR24 - it looks like it's going to be a scorcher here today.

18/06/2013 at 11:35

Vixx - this is running replacement. Boring as can be but mostly I watch pointless and eggheads at the same time. On the up side Back feels better!

18/06/2013 at 12:48

Shielsey - a man can never have enough tents ! I won this one in halfords, its not the greatest but fine for the family for a couple of nights, saves having to bring the monster tent with me

Had an absolute stinking horrible day at work this morning, never been so pleased to go home.  Looking forward to going to the club tonight and taking out all my frustrations in my running !

18/06/2013 at 14:17

Another tent?  Does it have high viz, flashing strobes on the guy ropes for Shielsy's benefit though?

18/06/2013 at 19:35

So, yes a typo 

i totally agree, a man can nev have too many tents just like you girls with shoes and handbags !

legs nt too bad now but Mandy was lol this morning watching me hobble about !

last night was all trail running and glorious scenery, unfortunately all I was looking at was the ground as I was concentrating to keep up

19/06/2013 at 07:28

Maybe i should take all 3 of my tents ? Could zip them all together to make a central area and an east and west wing, would end up being the size of the catering marquee !

good session at the club last night, running in the evening sunshine across the beach with a 2.5 mile tempo run to start with and an easy 2.5 run t the end.  Off to work soon for no doubt yet more aggro and then finish, runstraight to the track and blast off some  800's to make me feel better

19/06/2013 at 07:58

Not happy - want to get out running but my chest has other ideas - something I thought was nothing seems to be getting worse to a point where I cannot run. Going to doctors this morning to see what problem is - going stir crazy!!!

19/06/2013 at 08:56

http://s4.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/429414/gallery/tent.png?width=350

sj, is this what you had kind mind, I hope it's got a bar !

19/06/2013 at 09:52

mr sj - hope work is better today than yesterday .  Is it the kids or the staff?

19/06/2013 at 10:09

Shrek- better get there early to put that beast up!  Can I bags the penthouse suite?

19/06/2013 at 13:27

Shrek - now thats a tent !

shielsey - kids, or a particular kid to be precise. Today was much much better though, boundaries laid down and authority restored !

right im off for a run, cant decide if i should go and do a track session or just go for a plod along the coast, or infact skip the run and go out on my bike for an hour........

19/06/2013 at 14:32

Decided on a short track run, mile down there and then 2k on the track and 1.5 mile back home, felt really sluggish and heavy legs, no doubt due to last nights club session.

19/06/2013 at 19:57

Wow love the tent - we could all get in there!!!

Getting giddy now for TR24, but I must warn my team mates that my training isn't going as well as everyone else. I don't seem to have any time these days to get out as much as I would like to, but I am trying my best to get out when I can.

Received my number for the Great Manchester Cycle ride ready for June 30th - 52 miles again, like last year, so hoping that will help with the stamina at least!

19/06/2013 at 21:29

Os, to be fair I think sj deserves the penthouse for erecting that beast !  Pun absolutely intended !

mandy, 52 miles on a bike, good luck within that, hope you've got a comfy saddle !

my knee still sore from Monday so rest now for Sundays little half mara in town. 

Looking forward to having a catch up with Vixx per race

19/06/2013 at 21:58

Shrek - you'll be fine, just take it easy if you need to!

Evening all - will read back

20/06/2013 at 14:08

Afternoon everyone

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.