Great North Run 2013

Come one, come all; everyone welcome on this year long build up to the GNR

4,121 to 4,140 of 4,717 messages
11/07/2013 at 08:17

Morning everyone, well my legs are oficially trashed ! Feel like i did after doing last years GNR, quad muscles are killing and the stairs are a littlw tricky ! Im guessing its just down to legs feeling tired and heavy before the race and feeling totally drained after it.

Sunderland 5k on wednesday so im taking it easy and skipping club tonight and maybe an easy parkrun on sat if i feel like it.

Anyone else doing sunderland ?

11/07/2013 at 19:56

Good evening, everypeople

I have to say, that despite the heat, I really enjoyed Tuesday evening.
My previous two races had been disappointing, 45:17 at Bamburgh 10k on 16th June, then a worst for two years 46:24 at Kirkley on June 30th. I'd done hardly any decent mileage, due to my Achilles, and last Saturday's parkrun was miserable with a 3rd mile of 7:45

So, there we are, in the sweltering heat of Newcastle, with palm trees, sand and everything, and I had a simple race plan; run to how you feel, and, very low expectations. I set off comfortably, and could even see Graham, not too far ahead, for about two miles. Clocked 13:54 at the two mile point, but started to slow; not drastically, but steadily.

Given that my parkrun pace on Saturday had been 7:13, I was more than happy with a time of 34:56 (7:11 per mile) and even had a little left for a bit of a kick to the finish

[Splits 6:52 , 7:02 , 7:22 , 7:22 & 7:11]

Going to have a last push at parkrun on Saturday, then have a fortnight off running. I hope I can shake off the problems once and for all.

Great to see and speak to so many from the thread. Anne-Marie, Vicki, Mr sj , Graham and Kelly. Lovely to have Pengwyn's support, too, and thanks to her for the photos. I particularly like the one of Anne-Marie going past the bloke she mentioned earlier. The look on his face is priceless

Edited: 11/07/2013 at 19:58
11/07/2013 at 20:19

By 'Anne-Marie', he means me, lol 

Excellent running XL!

11/07/2013 at 20:21

Oops, that's a sign of the swing from RW to FB - sorry

11/07/2013 at 20:22

and thank you. It went much better than I expected. No more 10ks until September now. I will try to get back to sib-45 shape by then.

11/07/2013 at 20:47

XL well done I know you're feeling I have had so many bad 10k's thear year I need to go back to trying to break 45 mins and then build from there again back towards 43 mins

11/07/2013 at 21:05

It's frustrating, isn't it, BP? At least I know what the problem is, so hopefully I can look forward to a better autumn. Is it injury with you, too?

11/07/2013 at 23:43

That was a great pic of Shielsy! Nice one

Well done to all who ran yesterday

XL - how are your calves (and I don't mean the camel ones)?

12/07/2013 at 05:00

ok i think my body clock is officially messed up

been up since 0330 and just can't get back to sleep, bad day ahead I think !

still cash cab is on TV so can't be all bad !

12/07/2013 at 07:45

XL - not injury as such just been having issues with my breathing which doctor now thinks is pollen related asthma so hopefully new inhaler will help. Its seems to be helping a bit but I also think I have lost some fitness so got to build that back up again and then we will see.

12/07/2013 at 20:10

Well, I've been dipping in and out of the forum to keep up to date, but not posted - sorry.  Some good running going on and some people on the injury bench, which I hope get sorted quickly.

I did my third run in my Mackem shirt on Wednesday with one of my local 10K races.  It is a really nice evening run to and from Priory Park in Reigate.  The first four kilometers are not too taxing and then in the fifth you get the first up hill bit but there is a nice killer hill in the eigth kilometer for good measure.  I have not really been able to do much training for this - one run a week - but I still got round in just under 59 minutes with many of the people I over took in the first 5 kilometers getting past me as I ran out of steam at about 7K.  I then had to walk part of the hill when I got to it as I had started to get a stitch - for the first time in a really long time!
Anyway, here's a link to one of the photos of me.  The photographer has allowed free downloads of the medium resolution images from this race, so if anyone wants to download photos, click the "Download" button above the photo (right click has been disabled on the gallery) and you don't have the watermarks on the photos!

http://gallery.sussexsportphotography.com/a.tlx?l=rWc8rom3&pictureid=17933722787

An odd thing happened on the 3rd July when I was out for a lunchtime trot.  I was running towards town from the railway station and a lady with a clipboard asked me "Excuse me sir, do you smoke?".  The answer was almost an obvious "No" but it looked like she was trying to do a survey and what runner would want to pause for a survey?

13/07/2013 at 00:26

Nice picture Bob.You look as though you are really enjoying your run. I love going out for a bimble on warm summer evenings, just as the heat is reducing from a sunny day.

There are always either charity collectors or people brandishing questionnaires on Northumberland Street, the main shopping street in Newcastle. It's on my route home from work and I almost dare them, with a stern glare, to try to stop me for a donation or ask a stupid question while I am running past them.

Had a good 8 miles with friends last night around Jesmond Dene. Down at the cricket in Nottingham this weekend, so no running likely due to beer!

13/07/2013 at 09:23

Bob - Great photo

13/07/2013 at 10:32

Great photo Bob! As Narrow Feet says, it does look like you are enjoying it

How are you doing Shrek? Not up early again today I hope?

How are you doing Bearsted?

13/07/2013 at 14:42

Well, that's me done for a wee while.

I decided, after the relative success of my Bridges of the Tyne run, to take things easy at the parkrun this morning. I volunteered to pace 25 minutes and enjoyed a steady 8min/mile trot around a gloriously sunny town moor. I think I helped a bloke to a PB, too, which is good going for him in the tropical conditions.

Heading to Scotland fro a week next Saturday, so here's hoping that two weeks from now, my niggles will be gone,

I hope things get easier for you, BP. Take it easy building back up.

Well run, Bob - and a great photo too.
"Excuse me, Madam, do you think?"

It's quite an art dodging those folk on Northumberland St, NF - I should imagine it's a bit easier when you're running, is it?

14/07/2013 at 06:26

Morning all - just about to go out for an 11 miler before the serious heaat builds up - still 19oC already though

14/07/2013 at 08:40

11 Miler done - HOT HOT HOT

14/07/2013 at 10:01

XL - the problem with running down Northumberland street is avoiding people full stop!

Bear - well done on the 11 miler.

I'm about to go to the gym for another hour or so of the cross trainer. 

14/07/2013 at 11:04

Good mornin all

sleep is much better now thanks VIxx, helped by a few pints in the sun yesterday 

pout for a 5 miler this morning along the river watching the posh kids from Shrewsbury School rowing, past the car park of the boathouse full of Mercs, Bentleys, and the odd Jag ! Ahh, bless them !

heat is a killer and I feel like I've been in the sauna for hours but showered now so out to enjoy the sun some more.

have a great day folks, and Thunder Runners in 2 weeks ! I hope it's not this hot then or those showers will be fun

15/07/2013 at 13:05

Thank-you all for your nice comments about the photos.  I really have been enjoying my running recently.  In fact, all the races that I've run in my Mackem shirt have been enjoyable as I've stopped chasing a time and just been out to enjoy the run and the spirit of MTM. 

My next race is a little five miler around the Queen Elizabeth Park in Stratford this coming Sunday.  I am doing the National Lottery Anniversary Run which finishes with a three quarter lap of the Olympic stadium.  The only drawback is that it starts at 10am and so it will mean an early start (ok for me but my OH does not usually get up that early!).  Last years National Lottery Olympic Park Run did not start that early as I remember having sausage and chips as my pre-race fuel!  I will probably bimble round the course with my camera to take some photos of the venues, etc. just like last time!

Hope everyone has fun out running in the warm weather.  I expect that the Thunder Runners would like things a little cooler for a couple of weeks time.
XL - I hope you have a great time in Scotland.

Edited: 15/07/2013 at 13:06
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.