Great North Run 2013

Come one, come all; everyone welcome on this year long build up to the GNR

4,181 to 4,200 of 4,716 messages
24/07/2013 at 11:56

Bear - nah. Just too much other stuff filling the brain! That's my usual excuse anyway.

24/07/2013 at 15:26

Thunder run is just around the corner now guys & girls 

looks like we may have thunder at the thunder run this year ! Could be fun.

tent all checked over and in the boot, just need to sort out a new pump fans some extra food supplies and will be ready as ever for another awesome weekend with some good friends doing what mad folk do best..... run !

hope everyone is good and looking forward to the weekend

24/07/2013 at 15:34

See you there shrek

24/07/2013 at 16:28

Good luck to all in the Thunder Run.

What is the protocol if out running and caught in a thunder storm? May be useful over the next few days!!

24/07/2013 at 18:57
Narrow feet wrote (see)

Good luck to all in the Thunder Run.

What is the protocol if out running and caught in a thunder storm? May be useful over the next few days!!

That happened to me tonight!

I left the house in vest, racing shorts and a smile ... after a mile I could hear thunder rumbling, and by 2 miles it was absolutely lashing it down.  I couldn't see where I was going so took refuge in a bus shelter.  After a couple of minutes it seemed to ease off so I set off again ... only for it to immediately start lashing it down again (and I was 3 miles from home!)

However, just then my OH passed by in the car after visiting his parents so I flagged him down and just went home.  Only managed 2.3 miles and was absolutely drenched.  I'll have to try again tomorrow.

Of course, now it is beautiful and sunny again!  

24/07/2013 at 20:31

Shielsy - I would take running in rain at moment just done a 7 miler tonight in 28oC and no breeze. Tell me again why I am doing an October marathon - oh yes we don't get warm summers anymore, except this year of course.

good luck to everyone at weekend at TR24 - will have to do it one year

24/07/2013 at 22:20

Tent is in the car and am almost ready for the awesome TR once more.

have juse been out carb loading with a juicy steak and chips in a stunning steakhouse overlooking the river. I did manage to stay t total with an event at the weekend.

FYI, running in thunderstorms - we will be fine as we are THE THUNDER CRACKERS 

24/07/2013 at 22:51

Started throwing some camping gear together this evening and checked the tent out last weekend.  The running gear is easy- just empty my running gear drawer into a bag and take as many shoes as I can find.  And some food would be useful too...

24/07/2013 at 23:12

I see we will have a little competition this weekend, both liz and martin yelling entering teams in thunder run

25/07/2013 at 10:11

mr sj - they are 'has beens' you can beat them!!!!!

25/07/2013 at 19:02

It's probably the hot weather with running being the last thing on most sane people's minds, but I can't believe the amount of 'runner abuse' I've had over the last couple of weeks. Unintelligible shouts from white vans, the old classic 'knees up!' and one man literally laughing at me as I run past him and his can of budget special brew. It's years since I've had any of that. Anyone else found the same?

25/07/2013 at 20:36

Mr sj, we will have to hunt down the yellings and make sure you beat them them !

anyone else famous going to be there, apart from your good self obviously !

shocking news, morrisons are out of flapjack  

25/07/2013 at 21:18

Narrow feet - when im out with the club along the seafont we always get abuse from the boy racers but cant say ive noticed any more than normal

26/07/2013 at 19:59

Does anyone know where these miraculous extra places have appeared from for this years gnr?

27/07/2013 at 19:43

Hello everyone, hope you don't mind me joining the chatter?! Did GNR in 2011 and have a place this year... Training has been rubbish but managed 10 miles last week and no DOMS which was very welcome! Last time I booked everything though Nirvana this time I'm going to chance it and DIY, the transfer back from SS to where we stayed wasnt worth it in my opinion as we sat in traffic for almost an hour!!

im planning on getting the Metro the the start and also back. Does anyone have any advice re thservice??

Cheers 

27/07/2013 at 21:37

Killer minx - I would definitely just get the metro. Just be prepared for it to be very packed and give yourself plenty of time especially getting to the start as the metro can be quite held up when busy. Otherwise very straightforward.

28/07/2013 at 17:24

Hi all I've done the GNR past two years but can't remember not having my number by this time does anyone know when they get sent out? Thanks in advance

28/07/2013 at 19:23

David - I think it's still a bit early. They will probably be sending then soon tho'.

28/07/2013 at 19:34

Thanks Fiona was beginning to panic as had to get a charity place this year but that put my mind at rest

28/07/2013 at 19:45

Thanks BP and Fiona J for the tip about porridge pots - love porridge and a very suitable high carb choice - why didn't I tthink of that

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.