Great North Run 2013

Come one, come all; everyone welcome on this year long build up to the GNR

4,701 to 4,716 of 4,716 messages
16/09/2013 at 22:34

1st Gnr and wot a fab event. Crowds were awesome and I admire them for standing out their in the wind rain.Came through in 1.26 so a good work out for Berlin in 2 weeks. Thanks to the people of Newcastle for  great event and well done to all who took part ..

16/09/2013 at 23:18
CC2 - Speedy Goth wrote (see)

I was in Newcastle city centre doing some shopping by 12.45pm. 

I still had about 3 or 4 miles to go at that time!

My return to Newcastle  was slow. I have used the shuttle buses latterly, on the basis that by the time I finish the queues are always enormous whichever method you choose.  So the principle is, why walk in the wind and rain then queue when I can stay here and queue. I always go to the charity tent first to get a glorious cup of tea and a few treats before heading off.    This year there was an incident needing an ambulance which prevented all the shuttle buses getting back to the finish for about an hour - then 10 came at once!  I was back at my hotel by 5.30pm

Arrived home to find my next race pack had arrived  Oct 6th Royal Parks half.  Really looking forward to it.

17/09/2013 at 08:54
17/09/2013 at 11:33

Great write-up, Deidre

17/09/2013 at 12:05

Yes great write-up Diedre

Steve J great running

17/09/2013 at 12:56

1:28:49

Broke that 90mins barrier

17/09/2013 at 13:11
What a weekend! I'll definitely be back for more,atmosphere was electric! I was going for sub 1.50 to just enjoy it,but it flew by and before i knew it i was at the boost zone with 3 miles left. Never felt that fresh at that stage. I slowed a bit to soak up the last mile and all the crowds and still took 3 mins off pb to finish in 1.42. The only thing then that i kind of wish i did different was realise i was on for sub 1.40 and push on in the last stretch. Still had an amazing time,best running event I've ever done by far!
17/09/2013 at 13:11

The pictures are now up on the Marathon-Photos website.

They are also at a Marathon-Price too....i think that the only picture i would want would be from the end in front of the official background board.

A shame really... ah well good job Mrs KPO took loads with her Camera Phone.

Maybe with next year, you might get one photo to download..

Edited: 17/09/2013 at 13:12
17/09/2013 at 13:14

krom310 - well done

RunnerBMW - great running

17/09/2013 at 14:37

Thanks bearsted, it was a great day. 

Keepploddingon - there is a free medal photo option for every runner from Sunday, the one in front of the official background board. if  you click on the medal pic,you'll see the free download option on list list on the right. 

17/09/2013 at 14:41

Well, after joining this forum months ago - this is all over now. Only 6 weeks ago I was buzzing and felt great then got a knee injury which put it all in doubt. Jump forward to Sunday morning - terrible nerves and edgy until I got in a taxi with 6 other guys who had all run before. They calmed me down - and from there I began to enjoy it all. Still struggling to put into words how great it was to be there, and really proud of doing it in 2hrs 41 for my first half marathon. Will be there next year all being well, but next time will be able to really look forward to the day knowing what to expect. It was amazing to be in that run with so many people - all positive, smiling (grimacing on occasion), helping each other, with thos wonderful spectators out to spur us on.

I've learned a huge amount out on the road and on this forum....keep it up guys....see you next year!!

17/09/2013 at 14:52

Well done on all those great times and glad to hear of the happy times had as well.

Blade41's post is a really good point to invite everyone to the 2014 forum here...

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/forum/events/great-north-run-2014/262819.html

where the witty banter, sound advice and occasional tiffs continue unabated.

18/09/2013 at 10:20

Thank you to everyone who offered advice on here in recent weeks.

I was struggling with a groin strain 5/6 weeks ago and thought I might not make the run, but having listened carefully to advice posted (and my body), I managed to massively surprise myself and smash my PB by almost nine minutes to hit 130.53 in only my fourth half mara (and first in three years).

I might take this running lark a bit more seriously now...

18/09/2013 at 13:02

As ever it was a great event and reading the board a lot of happy people helped by the GNR weather Gods keeping the rain at bay as long as possible although it was tough when it hit me at about mile 4ish. I was running to raise funds for Diabetes UK in memory of a friend and his parents had travelled to stand with my wife at the finish. Training had gone well but a foot injury for 10days before the start left some anxiety but I had managed a fast 5k on Wednesday. Sub 2 hours was the target and I set off on my own race, not getting caught up with others, through 5 miles just outside my best 5 mile pace and through 10k in 52mins as I found the first half surprisingly comfortable. Hitting 15k in 1:19 and I was sure that if nothing went wrong I would hit my target and then shortly after 10m the painkillers wore off and I could feel the foot injury and changing stride affected my calves but then I had put alot into the race as well. Gritted teeth and a slower pace ensued but as I saw my wife and friends parents 200m from the finish I had a huge smile and crossed in 1:55:41, mullering my half pb by 9mins and GNR pb by 13mins and I know that without the injury this could have been even better but save that for next year. 

I must say a huge thanks to the people of the North-East for turning out in the predicted awful weather which fortunately wasnt too bad, soaked to the skin at 4-5miles but dryish by the end in the strong wind.

Caught up with Shrek, Mandie & Stringy, hope to see everyone else next year.

18/09/2013 at 14:33

Andy - great running

24/09/2013 at 10:29

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
4,701 to 4,716 of 4,716 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.