Great North Run 2013

Come one, come all; everyone welcome on this year long build up to the GNR

781 to 800 of 4,717 messages
07/10/2012 at 21:27

I fancy a crack at the junior one this year. I can do probably do a 1500 in 5:00-5:05ish, does anyone think sub 15 (for a road 4k) is realistic since I'll be a year older with more training?

07/10/2012 at 22:02
Mandie R wrote (see)
 Loving Strictly already too! I dont know what it is, but Brendon Cole really does it for me these days!!! 

Should that not be Brendon Foster in keeping with the thread ???

Cracking race report there MrSJ, awesome effort.

Ran my 1st sub 24 min 5K of the year today...followed it with a 24:24 - my fastest 10Km for well over a year (48:16). Finally getting there.....just before I wreck my legs again.

Isaac Allen - it`s lots of things but mostly the training.

07/10/2012 at 22:13
Nice running mr k !
07/10/2012 at 23:41

Evening everyone.

Well done at Kielder, mr sj.

Happy Birthday to your 12 year old, XL.

Mandie - I really like Brendan Cole these days.  He's mellowed since marrying, I think.  I can't get into the show this year though.

I, too, would like to know what the heck a brick session is?

08/10/2012 at 06:20

I thought I would have trouble with the characters this year too Shielsy but I really enjoyed Saturday night.  I think Lisa's ChaCha Cha was excellent.  Mainly because she enjoyed it so much. Jerry got on my nerves a bit...but its early days.

Well done MrSJ

Hope your daughter had a great day XL

08/10/2012 at 07:48
Brick session is when you do a long ride and then tag a run straight onto the end of it, gets your legs used to the bizarre sensation that is running after being on a bike!
08/10/2012 at 07:50

Mr SJ - Cracking Duathlon & report.  I'm sure that you'll crack the 2:30 if you figure out why you get the cramp.

XL-man - I do hope you don't get into trouble!

Shielsy - A brick session is a Triathlon training session that contains two diciplines, so you get used to the transition from one to the other.  An introduction to it is here.

Vixx - he is a nice little dog.  A Battersea rescue that we were very lucky to get as we applied just as he was about to come up for adoption and we had just lost our previous dog of the same breed.

Mr K - looks like you are getting back to your fighting form.  Surely to keep up the white noise we should be talking about Mr SJ's mate Stewie Cram and his friend Brendon Fraser.

08/10/2012 at 09:39

Morning all

Mr SJ - well done on the duathlon. A good time despite the cramp by the sounds of it.

XL - did your daughter have a good birthday.

Stringy - isn't it nice to be home.

What a lovely weekend it has been. After parkrun on Saturday we went to the coast. It was so warm and there was absolutely no breeze. You could see for miles. Small amount of carb loading done at local cafe in the form of coffee and walnut cake which was excellent.  Then 22 miles yesterday in 3:33 something. Didn't feel too bad at all and the glorious weather did help. It was a bit chilly to start off tho but didn' t want to take gloves as would have had to carry them for hours.

Definitely needed them this morning tho' - autumn is definitely upon us.

08/10/2012 at 10:19

Well done Mr. SJ at Kielder!

Hi everyone,

[long boring race report warning]

I ran the Chester Marathon yesterday. It was probably the best race conditions I've ever experienced - sunny, cold and practically no wind. The course was quite hilly for a southerner. The race started on the horse racecourse which was a bit boggy and passed through the town centre and into the countryside. It was a very rural scenic route. I'm not sure how many took part but it wasn't very crowded like London or Edinburgh. I wasn't too stressed at the start. These marathons are (almost!) starting to feel like half marathons. I hate tapering. It makes you doubt yourself and you feel really fat and unfit. My plan which I'd recommend to anyone is to break the distance down into 3 x 6 mile runs (which I did at Thunder Run) + 2 miles, + 1 x 6 mile run. After much thought I decided to start slow not caring what pace I did and wind it up to marathon pace between 2-3 miles. I wanted to run the whole marathon around 8:30 - 8:50 pace. I had already managed 20 miles @ 8:30 on a LSR so thought on a good day I could sustain that pace all the way. I have to say I had one of those runs where I kept thinking 'I can't believe this feels so easy'. Well, up to 23 miles. Actually I did have a little blip at half way when I had my first energy drink. Oddly I slowed down. I had to give myself a good talking to before slipping back into marathon pace. The race passes through a number of beautiful little villages and the support from the locals was amazing. I love marathons because they bring out the best in people. Just like in the Olympics and in the search for poor little April, the British people are amazingly supportive and kind. It makes you realise that the news is not really representative of the vast majority. I love seeing grannies and little kids who high-five you and people handing out jelly babies and all the hand-made signs. It's odd you don't think much running. It takes a lot of concentration to just move one foot in front of the other and avoid pot-holes, curbs and other runners. After my little wobble at 13 it felt great to know we were now running back towards home.  I was on my third 6 miles and all I thought about was maintaining my pace until then. Away from the crowds it was quite a quiet run. We shared a few laughs along the route but on the whole everyone was pretty quiet lost in their own thoughts. I loved the meandering roads. They always keep you wondering what is just around the corner. I had consitantly kept to around 8:18/mile so knew I was going to do well. I  hoped to hit 20 at 2:50 but think it was more like 2:46. Mentally I had in mind that I only had 6 miles which would take 50 minutes so I would finish around 3:40! Knowing myself I knew I wouldn't let the last 50 minutes come between me and a pb providing I didn't overcook it getting to 20. My legs started to feel heavy around 22 - the hill at that point certainly didn't help. Looking forward to seeing Marie at 23 really kept me going and when I saw her and her mum was a welcome distraction. The last 2 miles were the hardest with 3 merciless hills. Thankfully all incredibly well supported. The last mile goes up along the riverside, under the road and into the racecourse. I suppose I should have given it everything at that point but I was really tired. The last turn into the racecourse was such a welcome sight. The finish line was only 400m away and such a welcome site! Marathon 7, 3:41:23!!! A 5 minute PB

I am planning to run Liverpool Marathon next week but I'm not racing it!

08/10/2012 at 12:06

Russell - that most certainly was not a boring report!! Congratulations on your pb - Fantastic!!

I loved the way you described the public and how they all pull together. Sadly, in my job, I see very little of that true British spirit and its easy to think that the majority of people just keep Jeremy Kyle in full time employment! This year has definately been a year we cal all be proud of. As you say, the Olympics, Paralympics and the Jubilee have all been a huge success and  its been just wonderful to see people standing together in difficult times too, like the search for April and the two funerals last week for the Police Officers in Manchester.

Hope you have a nice, relaxing week before Liverpool. at least it won't feel like you are tapering for that one!!!

On the subject of the GNR, I found my membership card in my purse last night. i thought this years race was my last one but my card says it starts in 2011, so I'm wondering if I've got another year to go??

Liz - I thought Lisa was excellent too - she looked like she was really enjoying it!!

Bob - your dog is gorgeous. Sounds like perfect timing for him to meet you and find his forever home!

Great running Fiona!

08/10/2012 at 14:17

Lawks! I only popped downstairs for a cuppa nad there are a million new posts!

I spent about 2 hours at Belfast airport last week, and half caught up with the posts, but I cant even find where I got up to.

Been a busy week, so no runs betwen last sundays 10 km up a muddy canal towpath (in preparation for Hell Up North in November) and yesterday, when I popped out for a road based hour in readiness for Sandbach 10K next Sunday. I got stopped at a level cropssing, and was freezing by the time I got going, so decided to cut my planned route a bit short, adn was very disappointed with 6.16 miles in 66 minutes by the time I got home,

I finally got round to uploadign my Garmin today and was very happy to see I'd gone 7.16 miles in 66 minutes!

When I get past a sudden rush of work I'll backtrack and find out what you've all been up to.  Cheery pip.

08/10/2012 at 14:36

Thanks Mandie! I made sure I thanked all the police on the route. They probably thought I was mad but they have been real heroes with the police shootings and looking for little April.

08/10/2012 at 14:50
Brilliant running there russell, well done !
08/10/2012 at 15:11

Russell - fab race report and well done on the PB. Hope the legs hold out next week.

Robbiedoux - the posts really do mount up if you can't keep reading. I hate when you can't remember which page you were on and have to hunt for what you read.

Mandie - ~waves~ how are things with you?

08/10/2012 at 17:24

Hi Fiona ~ waves back~ I'm very well at the moment, thank you, although not doing as much running as I should. I need to really kick myself and find some time to get out now that my mornings at the kennels are taking priority to my training. Looks like I'm going to have to force myself out later in the day in order to fit everything in!

08/10/2012 at 21:16

Fab report Russell!

08/10/2012 at 23:10

Evening all

A lot of good running and cycling (Mr SJ) going on.

Thanks for the words of support CC2, XL, Vixx, Bob Parr, Shielsy. Just a club run tonight 6.1 miles. I can definitely ramp it up a notch in terms of effort though and move up a couple of groups to match what I have been doing on my own as got back and felt like I could do it all again. I am loving running with others which is something I never thought I would do and definitely growing in confidence in my own ability as when i first went to join the club I felt like first day at Secondary School. luckily though there wasnt any flushing of heads down toilets

09/10/2012 at 10:15
Well done for your race Mr SJ and I enjoyed your race report. Really seems as though for that one the mental toughness required is equal to the level of fitness needed. Hope you get your cramp issues sorted soon and am sure you'll smash it next time!

Enjoyed your race report too Russell, have never run a marathon (can only dream), but I really felt I was there with you. Sounds like you had a great run.

The sun is shining on North Tyneside but had to pull the gloves out this morning. Learnt my lesson yesterday! Nice and fresh. Shower and cup of tea and I'm ready for the rest of the day.

Snoopy - you must have gone to my school!
09/10/2012 at 12:38

Goodness me it was cold this morning. Hat and gloves required for me.  Unfortunately my tights developed a hole en route and I now have a nasty bit of chafing which is very uncomfortable

CC2 - is it this week you are off to Berlin?  I was wondering how long before did you stop the caffeine so as to get the effect when re-introduced?  If it is this week, best of luck (I'll repeat the sentiment next week if need be)

Snoopy - which club do you go to?

Muckers - a bit chilly today certainly.  I hate having cold hands when running.

09/10/2012 at 16:43

Positively baltic this morning mind I did go to work when the moon was still out so well done anyone that braved the cold - whether you were in "holy tights" or gloves impressive effort.

Muckers - Gotta be honest I never had the misfortune to see the inside of an armitage shanks  but the verbal threat was always there. I was going to suggest it was an urban myth that head flushing went on till your post.

Fiona - i have just joined (well when they get me to fill in a form at least) Gosforth Harriers

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.