Great North Run 2013

Come one, come all; everyone welcome on this year long build up to the GNR

841 to 860 of 4,716 messages
14/10/2012 at 14:32

XL-man, you're flying!! It seems a shame not to race again for a while when you're on such form but you deserve a break, that's for sure.

Edited: 14/10/2012 at 14:36
14/10/2012 at 14:57

Thanks, Graham. I've always enjoyed easing down between November and February, so I'm looking forward to just enjoying some easy miles over the winter.

I do still have that pesky 20:55 hanging over me at parkrun (since January) - having run 20:56 a couple of weeks ago I am determined to sort that out soon, so I'm not slacking completely.

14/10/2012 at 15:36

CC2 posted on FB and, cos she's on horribly expensive internet, wants this posted on  -       " I suppose it was bound to happen eventually. Bad day at the office for me. Never felt so bad during (or after) a marathon. 3.09.38 on the watch. Not what I wanted and not even a PB."

CC2 -maybe it was just that particularly course, or today's conditions.  It's still an amazing time

14/10/2012 at 16:15

Well done CC2.  I hope you soon get your enegy back.

14/10/2012 at 16:37

XL - You've done wonderful stuff this year.  You'll get that parkrun sorted in no time

Oxford Half - What a perishing cold day. OH had offered to drop me - the car windscreen was really solidly iced!  Heavy mist kept us well chilled.  Baggage drop was slow.  I suppose folks didn't want to abandon their clothes til the last moment but the queue was ridiculous.  9.25 they grabbed every bag which already had a label on it. - Phew! Race due to start in 5.  Fantastic moment as we passed through the start to see Sir Roger Bannister waving us off   What a gem!  Went quite well for the first few miles, a little slower than last week but I still found myself overtaking the 2:25 pacer, and then the 2:20 pacer .  Even crept ahead of the 2:15 pacer   Seemed a comfortable pace but I knew that I would be walking a few bits later on so they would catch me again. Got to 6 in a tad under the hour so was pleased with that. Went by the Iffley Road track (4 min mile fame) on our way towards Magdalene bridge, then left down beside the River Thames (known as The Isis in Oxford) Back towards town via Christchurch Cathedral then onto river path again.That was a lovely stretch but I found my calf muscles tightening.  Hadn't really got back to normal since last week's half (not a good way to taper!)  Was soon overtaken by mr 2:15 pacer man.  Wasn't too concerned. Just wanted to keep ahead of the 2:20 man if possible.  Last bit was tough. Road was very slightly undulating (barely really) but felt like a mountain cos my calfs were now giving me jip. Kassam Stadium in sight, digging deep (mr 2:20 pacer had gone by )  Came in at 2:22:17 which is 4.5 mins faster than last week and only 39 seconds over my GNR PB.  Happy enough with that. . .  Baggage collection  Horrendously long queue - worse than a GNR loo queue!!  Still bitter cold though at least the sun was out.  Started to chill really quickly and decided to summon OH so that I could sit it out in  warm car. Loads of roads still closed so took a while to get there. When we went back for bag they were taking peoples numbers off them and then going to find bags - Your number is the only bit that safely identifies the owner!  Not impressed at all - hope they learn from this.

14/10/2012 at 16:46

Well done RLTW. Excellent time.

14/10/2012 at 18:29
My company is based near Oxford, so good to read your report, RLTW. When I've had chance it's great to run past the Iffley Road.
Sandbach 10 k was a blast - Multi terrain (that'll teach me to pay more attention), so not so fast - not even a PB for a trail, but best time for 2012, and it was tremendous fun. Think I'll be doing more trail after that. Ace goody bag too.
14/10/2012 at 18:37

XL - well done on your Matfen result.  You've had such a brilliant year this year.  Enjoy a nice rest this evening.

RLTW - ditto, very well done.  Sorry to hear the conditions were very cold - when you finish a race you do chill very quickly (I do anyway) so to have to wait for your gear is not good.  But how cool to be waved off by Roger Bannister himself ... that's very impressive.

Sorry to hear that Munich was not all CC2 had hoped.  Her time is of course, ridiculously brilliant to us lesser mortals, but she takes her running so seriously and if she'd hoped for a better time then I'm sorry it didn't work out for her on the day.  That said, it still is an amazing time!

I went out this afternoon and did 9 miles and I was blimmin' freezing.  Wore my jacket and gloves and took them off after a mile, but it got so cold later on that I was pulling them back on again - brr!

Now off to watch Strictly and X-Factor results.  And maybe have a glass of wine whilst OH makes the dinner.

14/10/2012 at 21:10

Thanks Shielsy and well done to you too   9 miles by choice is amazing

I wish they had managed to include the Iffley Road track in our run.  Suppose that could have been tricky but it wasn't even celebrated when we got there.  I suspect many could have missed it altogether.

14/10/2012 at 21:21

CC2- sorry to hear of your disappointment but that's still an impressive time.

Nice to see you today RLTW - the baggage reclaim was unbelieveably bad.  Maybe they should learn from the Town and Gown system which works well.  It would have been seriously dangerous if the weather had been wet and cold after the race and then you had to queue forever to get warm clother, food etc.  RLTW- here you are at 11miles looking fresh:

http://s3.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/433328/gallery/img_6121a.jpg?width=350

Edited: 14/10/2012 at 21:21
14/10/2012 at 21:28

Awesome Pic there! Were you running too OS? How did you do?

Evening all

14/10/2012 at 22:23

Hi Vixx,how did you get on?

Personally,everything was on track until mile 17,twinge at the top of my right groin and right ankle being sprained from Monday,both niggles got alarmingly painful,Half in 2:16 and 20 miles in3:47,but the last 6 miles I could hardly run,crossed the finish line in 5:28.10.Not too downhearted because I loved the event and there are always other runs for quicker times.

Great running again XL and well done RLTW.

14/10/2012 at 22:28
Well done RLTW,another good run from you.
Good 9 miles Shielsy.I can't wait to get out and enjoy the cooler weather.
Well done Robbie,sounds like a good race.Last trail race I did I got lost with about ten other runners,ended up doing a couple miles extra,most of it in knee deep mud.loved the race though.
Vixx,another great effort at Liverpool Mara,hope you enjoyed it.
I can hopefully start little plods at the end of next week if physio keeps going well.
14/10/2012 at 22:33
Cracking effort Dasher,takes alot to finish when your in agony,plenty of rest for you.
14/10/2012 at 22:35

Cheers spongecake.Can definitely cope with lots of rest at the moment.

14/10/2012 at 22:38
Rest and alcohol to dull the pain;-)
14/10/2012 at 22:52

OS - that was a sneaky pic - i didn't see you taking it - makes me look quite slim  though, not sure about the frresh bit. My calf muscles were threatening to seize up at that point   Glad the sun was out this morning, took the edge off it,  even though it was still incredibly cold.  How did your OH do?

Dasher - Really well done.  Sounds rather painful.

14/10/2012 at 23:35

Nice photo, RLTW!

Dasher - well done on finishing the marathon in what sounds like painful circumstances.

Well done to Vixx also.

15/10/2012 at 06:02

Well done Vixx and Dasher

15/10/2012 at 10:06

Now I've read back - well done XL!

Dasher - well done in the circumstances. I had to stop for a stretch around 19 miles as my hip muscles were playing up. That really helped, but I was on a run-walk strategy at that point anyway. I did actually see you at the baggage buses, but I was putting something in my bag and when I looked up you had gone, otherwise I was going to say Hi. I thought Liverpool was a great event, well organised and well supported in the main. The bits between 19 and 22 were a bit sparse for support and a bit demoralising in that respect, but I'd do it again. It also helped that lfc runner took me in, and when I finished 'family lfc runner' were all waiting for me at the finish

RLTW - I think that's a great pic of you! Good action shot.

Thanks everyone for the Well Dones.

How is everyone today?

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.