Great North Run 2013

Come one, come all; everyone welcome on this year long build up to the GNR

1,281 to 1,300 of 4,716 messages
13/11/2012 at 22:13
Evening all,

Shielsey - did you find out what tour prize was for ? Was it top 3 finish for your category or team prize ?

Im just back from my clubs winter grand prix, wasnt sure if i should do it as knee been very sore but being the stubborn fool i am, i ran ! Went off pretty hard and he group i started with stayed together for re first 3/4 mile and then me and another guy pulled away, he stayed in front of me and i tucked in behind and stuck with him for the first half of the race, we were averaging 6:50 mile pace.

On the way back (out and back race) i pulled ahead of him and thankfully we had the wind at our backs, i sensed someone right behind me and knew it was him and then with about 400m to go he went past me, i let him go for 100m and then had a change of plan and thought 'sod that' and went after him, he beat me by 2 seconds !! Results not out yet but i ran a pb of 24:30 for the 3.56 mile course and looks like a top 20 finish.

Knee was ok but im expecting it to hurt tomorrow
13/11/2012 at 22:17
Well done mr sj
13/11/2012 at 22:34

Well done, mr sj.  I hope the knee isn't aggravated tomorrow.

I think the prize was an age category thing.  I even got a mention in the Shields Gazette tonight about it (admittedly it was a miniscule mention, and they did spell my name wrong, but whatever).

14/11/2012 at 09:33

Shielsy - a miniscule mention in an article in the paper is much better than just appearing in the "list of finishers".  I still like to get the papers with the list of finishers and send it to my Dad to say "look, I made the news!".  Well done on your 3rd place.  I see the race got a mention in the BBC News web page for the false start.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-20312678

Also, well done on your club session, sounds hard.

Vixx - sorry that your op has had to be delayed.  It's better to wait and have a completely successful op than one that you end up not really happy with in the end.

Mr SJ - excellent race there.  Hope the knee is not grumbling too much today.

Snoopy - How is Cooper getting on?  I hate it when people let their aggressive dogs off the lead and so don't control them properly.

Mandie - How is Bobbi getting on too?  I'm presumimg that no news is good news.

I was Volunteer Coordinator at parkrun last weekend and then I helped to enter the results after as I am getting shown more of the "responsible" tasks at parkrun.  Our pregnant parkrunner turned up but did not run and later on that night she had a boy.  I had a quick chat and she did joke that if she did run and it bounced out, she'd just scoop it up and carry on!
I might have to pop out at lunch for a run as I've got a flat 10K race this Sunday and I need to test my knee over about 5 miles before I commit to going to the race.  It will only be my second run since the end of September when I picked up the injury.

14/11/2012 at 14:34
Afternoon all
14/11/2012 at 21:25
Evening all
14/11/2012 at 22:30
Night night all
14/11/2012 at 22:33

Did someone speak?

14/11/2012 at 22:34

Well done on you race mr sj

14/11/2012 at 23:02

Shielsy - I enjoy being educated by the fairer sex  Cant image anyone enjoying the feeder thing - hey ho - whatever pleases !

Ps - was the custard tart nice ?

mr sj - well done mate on the race

Why am I up at past 11pm on a schoold night ? I am knackered but cant sleep, whats that all about ?

14/11/2012 at 23:51

Overtired Shrek!

14/11/2012 at 23:55

Think so Vixx - you too ?

15/11/2012 at 03:11

Now O know so - still awake & have a long day ahead

15/11/2012 at 07:28
Phew, thank god it wasnt me starting with 'good morning all'. Thought i had well and truly broken the thread !!

So...........

Good morning all
15/11/2012 at 08:29
Good morning.
Shrek,think your going to need matchsticks for your eyelids today.
Managed a session in the gym yesterday,cycle machine,run/walk on the dread machine,leg weights and rowing machine.Leg and knee feel ok so I may be on the mend.
15/11/2012 at 09:51

Morning everyone.

Bob - how did the 5 mile test run go?  Hope it went well and you're fit for Sunday.

Shrek - the custard tart was lovely - I could eat another one now.

spongecake - really hope you are on the mend.

mr sj - how was the knee after your club race?

Is anyone doing the Saltwell 10k on 22nd December?  I really want to do it - it's a tough one, but a nice way of kind of justifying over indulgence with your Christmas dinner.  Trouble is I've a feeling I'll be panicking about things I haven't done in preparation for Christmas and will feel I have to miss the race to paint a room, or something.

15/11/2012 at 11:15

Luton Marathon on Sunday - just got over chest infection in time - short 3 mile jog tonight then race on Sunday

15/11/2012 at 12:40
Shielsey - the back of my leg was completely seized up yesterday morning and up the side of the knee but then it eased off during the day and feels ok today, off to see physio on friday and hopefully get to the bottom of it.

Im not doing saltwell, did it about 3 years go and hated every second of it ! Swore i'd never do it again
15/11/2012 at 14:32
mr sj wrote (see)
Im not doing saltwell, did it about 3 years go and hated every second of it ! Swore i'd never do it again

Great to hear you're ok - don't overdue it at the club though (if you go).  Lol, yeah, I half hated/half loved Saltwell when I did it years ago - all those hills - but the year I ran it the park looked so pretty (bright sunshine but frost everywhere) that it really got me into the Christmas spirit.

15/11/2012 at 14:43

I'm probably doing Saltwell. Never done it before though. The hills are a plus as I can forget about PBs and all that stuff and just run as I feel on the day to enjoy it. 

I did 23m 54s at the NSP Grand Prix on Tuesday so quite pleased with that, especially with the headwind going out. Looking forward to the cross-country on Saturday.

1,281 to 1,300 of 4,716 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.