Vixx-thanks for emnding the thread that I seemed to have broken earlier

18/11/2012 at 20:20

No worries - sounds like you had a good run today

Anyone else been running today?

19/11/2012 at 08:37

Good morning everyone.

(Hope this does not break the thread!)

Brighton 10K Race Report.

It was a frosty start to the day with a clear sky and virtually no wind.  So it looked like perfect running conditions.  When I got to the coast the sea was really calm and flat and the sea front looked absolutely glorious bathed in sunlight.  So, once I had parked up at about the 1km mark on the course, I thought I would go for a wander and take a couple of photos on my phone.  First one is the iconic Brighton seafront arches with the Pier in the background (been in a few films such as "Brighton Rock" and "Quadrophenia") and then I went up to Marine Parade and took a picture of the Start/Finish area on Madeira Drive with the Pier and Wheel in the background.  I then had a wander around and bumped in to a couple of people that I usually see at local races and so had a chat with them and saw a chap from my local parkrun. 

http://s4.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/430405/gallery/dsc00359.jpg?width=350

http://s4.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/430405/gallery/dsc00361.jpg?width=350

At about 9:20 I had a little warm-up jog back to the car and got ready for the race.  I walked back to the start area and went to the area towards the back of the 50-60 minute finishing times.  Whilst in the penn waiting for the start I saw that Clumsy Anne (from the 2012 GNR forum) had stopped and was talking to the group of people next to me, so I introduced myself, how I knew who she was and then wished her good luck for this race.

19/11/2012 at 08:45

Brighton 10K Race Report (part 2)

The race started at 10am exactly and with the walk to the start line I got across it as the clock read 2:08.  I set off at a pace I felt comfortable with, hoping to get round in just under the hour, and at the first kilometre split I glanced at my watch and saw that I had done it in 5m17s, which would get me round in about 53 minutes.  So I thought, OK keep going at what ever pace was comfortable but I did not look at my watch again for any pace details.  At about the 1.5 Km mark I caught up with Anne and had a quick chat with her again - she said that she had settled into her pace - so I pushed on.  A good thing about Brighton (which some people don't like) is that it is two out-and-backs and so I was scanning the faces of people that I recognise and give them a shout of encouragement.  Saw one of our parkrunners and gave her a shout and a chap from a local running club that I chat to who is in the M70 category still getting round in about 73 minutes. I know that I was well under the 60 minute barrier as the halfway point was well behind me when my Garmin gave me a 30 minute time alert.  I have to admit that after about 7 Km I started to slow a little as I have lost some of my stamina though resting my knee, and Anne came past me at about the 8 Km mark.  I got to the finish with the clock reading just under 57 minutes and so I was really quite pleased as my knee had not caused me any problems throughout the race and I stopped my Garmin on 54:41.  About 5 minutes later I got the official time via text that I had a chip time of 54:43 - I am really quite pleased with this as it was only my third run since 30th September.  I then hung around the finishing funnel and congratulated a few of the faces I recognised.  Then walked towards the car, collecting a bottle of water on the way.

Got home at about 12:15 to be told that I had to get into my gardening clothes as I had to help the other half tidy up the garden for winter.  So I did not really get a chance to stop and write up the report until late last night and earlier this morning.

19/11/2012 at 08:57

P.S.  Thank-you for your best wishes.  It was nice to come home and see them.

Shielsy - Yes, honsetly!  I think it's not a bad name, in fact I quite like it, however number 53 did spring to mind for some reason!

19/11/2012 at 11:55

Had a bit of a nightmare at Luton Marathon yesterday- It is a 3 lap race and is hilly but that is no excuse. was fine through 18 miles and on 3:55 pace then legs just went into a 'vegetative state' and decided that they would not work the way they should - it was not cramp it was just massive aching pain. Anyway that was end of decent time and finished in 4:18 (worst for 4 years). Weird thing is that 1/2 hour after race legs were feeling great no aches and even today I have no aches - it is almost as though I imagined the race and didn't run.

19/11/2012 at 12:52

Well done Bob - great to hear your knee held out and got a fab time!

Sorry to hear Luton didn't go as planned Bearsted Plodder. At least you are not suffering any nasty injury.

19/11/2012 at 13:16

Well done Bob - from your photos it looks like it was really good running conditions.

Hard lines on your disappointing (for you, I hasten to add) marathon time.  Weird about your lack of DOMS.

19/11/2012 at 13:21

Yeah the weirdest thing is the lack of DOMS not only can I come down stairs forwards today (usually takes a couple of days for that) I can actually bound down the stairs.

19/11/2012 at 18:37

Bearsted Plodder - I would be elated with a time anywhere near 4.18 and am always just glad & releaved to get around for a mara. Well done.

Giving club a night off tonight - very tempted but dont want to do the to much too quick thing when just getting back into things. 

Hows everyone today ?

19/11/2012 at 18:51
Yeah I am a firm believer any one who gets around a marathon has done so well but I am always critical of myself and it is 25mins outside PB and my worst since 2005.
19/11/2012 at 20:00

Great race report Bob.  There used to be pub on Brighton front that just played 70/80's rock music.  is it still there?

20/11/2012 at 10:31

Good morning all

Is the thread broken again or is everyone hard at work or asleep today ?

20/11/2012 at 11:25

Morning Shrek

Well Billy and I are signed up for next year. never got the email but sorted now.

Shielsy - well done on the prize

A lot of good running going on while I was away. A lovely week of sunny weather in Tenerife. Lots of lovely  hills for running up and down. Managed about 20 miles when I was away and it was all up and down. Tough especially in the heat.

20/11/2012 at 17:29

I didn't get an e-mail last year and only just realised in time to enter. It seems to be more of a problem this year for members - I just hope no-one misses out by not realising and attempts to enter when its too late.

Hi Fiona - it must have been lovely running whilst on holiday, despite the hills.

I got out today for a nice 6 miler in my new trainers. Very happy to report they felt really comfy and I didn;t get any blisters so all good so far in my change from Adidas to New Balance!

20/11/2012 at 18:50

I haven;t had an email.  I registered for the reminder service and I've got a t least another year on my membership.  Where are you guys going to register?  I signed in on GreatRun but it just offers the reminder service

20/11/2012 at 18:56

I'm not too sure RLTW as I haven't looked at the website as I'm waiting for next months payday before I can afford to enter. There's no real panic as yet, as you have until 18th Dec to enter so hopefully someone else will be along very soon to help you with how to enter now.

20/11/2012 at 18:59

Its really been quite bad this year for members. It makes you wonder if they don't send out a lot of e-mails on purpose so that a lot of members miss out. The organisors have their bonus of nearly £50 a person and if that person doesn't enter then they can just allocate more ballot places???

...........or is that just me being cynical??

20/11/2012 at 19:08

Evening all.

Mandie - this year I did notice that the e-mail stated that there were a set number of ballot memberships, and that the membership thing would close on December 19th "or when the allocated places were full", whichever came first.

Hi Fiona - how are you and Billy doing? Well done on Town Moor  Good holiday?

Hi RLTW and Shrek - hope that you are both well

20/11/2012 at 19:12

Just looked on FB as I recall someone saying there was a link, which there is - but it says to use your original login details and it should sort out whether you are new or existing or deferred.  It keeps directing me to New Member.  I may just contact their info@ option just to be sure. 

1,341 to 1,360 of 4,716 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.