Great North Run 2013

Come one, come all; everyone welcome on this year long build up to the GNR

1,441 to 1,460 of 4,717 messages
01/12/2012 at 17:34

Yes, I have some Yaktrax. You can only use them when there is no tarmac visible at all though - so snow or all ice. They feel a bit odd under your feet but they do mean you can get out for a shuffle when otherwise you'd be confined to the house. No use at all for patchy ice though. I was eyeing up Icebug shoes that have little studs in them and you can use in mixed conditions, but they're ever so expensive. They have them on Amazon. 

02/12/2012 at 08:11

Morning all. Father Christmas suit on,so all ready for the Liverpool Santa dash this morning.I know Santa is jolly and round but seriously these trousers must belong to Giant Haystacks.

02/12/2012 at 09:56
Thanks cc2
02/12/2012 at 17:39

Hope the Santa Dash went well, DD.  At least you'll have been nice and toasty in your Santa suit!

Unlike myself - managed to do 11 miles in very cold and very icy conditions today.  Found it rather hard going, my legs felt like lead after a week of non-running, but I'm hoping that was partly due to the usually soft and yielding cinder paths being rock hard underfoot.

Amazingly though, I never slipped once.  Running on icy paths is very good for encouraging a more flat-footed running style, because if you hit the road heels first you run the risk of doing the splits!

02/12/2012 at 19:13

*pops head round door*

I almost feel a fraud posting as I haven't even run across a road for a week and a half! (not the best training for next weeks Stockport 10, I know, but shifts and a streaming cold have put paid to any thoughts of me stripping down into running gear in this weather)

Hope everyone is having a lovely weekend. You have my upmost respect for those who have got out in the cold - I've no idea how I ever managed to train for a marathon in the past at this time of year. 

02/12/2012 at 19:34

Mandie - don't feel bad for not running if you've been poorly. I didn't run all last week, but I don't have the excuse of being sick.

The weather's been rotten though, so if you're not going to run, we might as well have not run this week .

02/12/2012 at 21:39

Hope you feeling better soon Mandy

I havnt been able to spare any time for a run for over a week either, work commitments for me - dont expect to run till after Christmas now

I have bitten the bullet and renewed my membership tonight - £94 is extortion, if this was for a city Mara it wouldnt be too bad but the organisers know we will pay so they charge what they feel they can ... and we pay !! Are we stupid ?

This is such a great race / experience I couldnt sit at home and watch it on TV now - I have to run it until I am no longer able to - hope thats a long way off

Vixx - nice photos

02/12/2012 at 21:47

Well done on the 11 miles Shielsy.Santa Dash was fun and enjoyable,meeting and greeting other Santa's in the pubs of Liverpool seemed the norm after a while,hope the cold disappears quickly Mandie and the Stockport 10 is a breeze.

02/12/2012 at 22:15

Evening all

Thanks Shrek (There were a couple that I didn't put on as I took a few of the sunrise this morning and when I looked closer at the one you could see a reflection in the glass).

mr sj - if you have a mate with a costco card, they are selling something similar to Yaktrax - two pairs for about the same amount you'd quoted for eBay for the Yaktrax. Just a thought.

Dasher - hope that the Santa Dash went well. I was interested initially until I realised I'd be down here in London.

Hi shielsy, fiona and CC2

Mandie - hope you feel better soon!

03/12/2012 at 13:15

Shiesly - it was pretty cold yesterday wasn't it.  I managed 12 miles and I have to say if wasn't as slippy as Saturday, but bad enough and certainly freezing.  I was supposed to do another 2 miles, but I'd had enough.

dasher - did the suit stay up for the entire run?

Shrek - that really is the problem....how could you not do it.

Vixx and Mandie ~waves~

03/12/2012 at 23:00

We had our 2nd cross country race yesterday in the series.  It was the 3rd incarnation of the course cos the usual one next to the Thames was flooded and then frozen, but they still managed to put in some hills. Since young OS ran the same course for the U13 race but only 1 lap, I calculate he ran it at a pace of 4min/km .

04/12/2012 at 06:55
Old Shadowfax wrote (see)

Since young OS ran the same course for the U13 race but only 1 lap, I calculate he ran it at a pace of 4min/km .

Wow, that is some going, OS!

Morning everyone.

04/12/2012 at 22:24
Shielsy wrote (see)

Morning everyone.

Seriously??  No-one??

Ok, will talk to myself.  Running club after work which meant running up and down a local, deserted(ish) road.  Distance = 0.7 miles, 6 times with 90 second recoveries.

It's my running club's Christmas night out tomorrow, so I'm really looking forward to that and at least I can eat my meal feeling that I've worked for it.

No doubt I'll be wishing myself another 'good morning' tomorrow   

05/12/2012 at 07:47
Morning shielsey

Running club for me last night, did 7 x 500m with 30sec recoveries. We were supposed to do each 500 in 1:58 but we did them all under 1:50, most of them were under 1:45 and thoroughly enjoyed it !!

Im now 58 miles away from hitting my yearly target of 1000 miles ! Cant believe im actually going to hit it after years of trying and injuries thwarting me !
05/12/2012 at 08:27

Morning mr sj 

Are you going to celebrate when you hit 1000 miles?  Are you planning all your runs now, so that you know exactly what your 1000th mile will be?

I'm in awe of people who can find the time and energy to run so much over the course of the year.

05/12/2012 at 08:35

Just looked back, and I might have hit 1000 miles myself last year actually (London marathon training)

It was going really really well until last July and that tent guy rope .

That and my dad's death and then the house stuff and just generally being in a bit of a slump, physically and mentally, meant I didn't really start running regularly again until this May.  And ironically it's gone really well ever since then *touches wood*

Maybe next year.

05/12/2012 at 16:10
Im not sure when i'll hit it exactly as my runs vary week to week but as a rough idea im looking at 5m each tues and thurs at the club, 7 on a fri, and 10 on a sunday.

So working on that basis, i might hit it during my club session on thurs 20 december, will have to check what session i have that day, may have to do a little jig to celebrate as i run !!

My best year before this was only around 700 miles so ive smashed that target
05/12/2012 at 21:14

Good to see some familiar faces around here still! I know I keep popping in and out but I have now bookmarked this page so I promise to keep posting.

05/12/2012 at 21:25

Wheres the "like" button for posts?

05/12/2012 at 22:24
Evening james
1,441 to 1,460 of 4,717 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.