Great North Run 2013

Come one, come all; everyone welcome on this year long build up to the GNR

1,461 to 1,480 of 4,716 messages
05/12/2012 at 22:32

Evening - your running sounds to be going great currently, nice one! Certainly making up for the bad times.

05/12/2012 at 22:54

Quick visit from me (feel like thats all I do on here at the moment )

Lovely to 'see' you James.

Shielsy - you really do seem to have come back better and so much stronger!

Hi mr sj!

Its looking like I'm going to be running the Stockport 10 on very minimal training this weekend. My cold/man-flu/whooping cough is dragging on and although I'm feeling a bit better today I just haven't got the time between now and then to fit in any longish runs. Hey ho - Looks like I'll be plodding round this one!!

Hope everyone is ok and looking forward to Xmas!

05/12/2012 at 23:21

I thought about doing Stockport 10 Mandie but decided against it. Have you done it before? I hear there are a couple of "cheeky" hills in there?

06/12/2012 at 10:57

Morning peeps.

Well I managed 4 miles around the skating rink that is our local area last night. I was really wanting to do 8, but it was late by the time I got out and I did fancy staying out longer.  The worst bit of the whole thing was trying to get out of the drive way where our flat is.  It was even worse this morning so I'm not quite sure how I'll manage tonight .....but I hate the treadmill.

06/12/2012 at 12:50
It is very very icy out there, i decided to leave the bike at home and walk into work this morning and then run home. The walk in was pretty bad but the run home was crazy !! Couldnt get any grip and feet all over the place.

Got some yaktraxas on order and hopefully they'll arrive in next day or two, no way im missing my 1000 mile target whenim this close to it !!!! Run ing club tonight should be interesting
06/12/2012 at 13:15

Well done in getting out in the conditions,Fiona and mr sj.At the moment we seem to be lucky with the weather,four miles this morning in cold but not icy underfoot.If you are running be careful out there.

06/12/2012 at 22:23
Shielsy wrote (see)
Old Shadowfax wrote (see)

Since young OS ran the same course for the U13 race but only 1 lap, I calculate he ran it at a pace of 4min/km .

Wow, that is some going, OS!

And he wasn't the fastest either!

Evening all.  I ran to check out our parkrun route yesterday- but its still flooded so its cancelled for the 3rd week in a row . I then tried to suss out a route for the county road relays next year and that was flooded too.  And icy.Hopefully the ground will continue drying out now...

07/12/2012 at 09:13

Still horribly cold and icy up here this morning.

No running for me last night after work.  I was hungover from my running club's Christmas meal so just wasn't up to it anyway, but even if I had been trying to run any distance on icy pavements in the dark would have just been madness.

Tonight's it's my work's Christmas party, so that's probably tomorrow's running written off as well.

07/12/2012 at 10:55

Shielsy - that is one heavy week on the partying front.  At least it is Saturday tomorrow so you won't have to get up so early

I managed 8 miles last night and I must say it was much better underfoot last night.  Unfortunately it did rain for 5 of the 8 miles, but I can't really complain.  Must be thankful for goretex trail shoes tho' as my feet would have been extremely wet without them.  Hopefully I'll be at parkrun tomorrow then I have to finish the Christmas shopping so that it can all be delivered next weekend to various people.

OS - I take it there is no alternative for your parkrun then?

07/12/2012 at 12:58
Afternoon all,

I decided to skip running club last night and just went out by myself for a 5 miler, meeting stringy in the morning for a ride upto toon and then will be partaking of a parkrun, havent done newcastle for ages so quite looking forward to it.

Had planned a little speed session on the track today but cant be bothered ! Very unlike me but an afternoon cleaning the house is sooo much more fun
07/12/2012 at 13:33

mr sj - its still cross training in our world!

Still lots of great running going on despite the weather - I'm very jealous.

I see the Xmas parties are all starting too now which do tend to get in the way somewhat.

News from my end - Bobbi has been given the green light to increase her walks so I can finally take her back to the park to see her friends. Nothing major at first, just 10-15 mins, but its the next stage of her recovery and hopefully in 6 weeks time she'll be allowed off the lead. Also, for those not on fb, I've had a little accident and got my finger slammed in a metal door and broken a bone clean in two!! Its black and blue and rather painful at the moment, and I've had to go out to buy myself a pair of mittens as I can't get gloves on whilst its strapped to the one next to it!

So still no running for me then, and not sure if I'll be doing the Stockport 10 on Sunday as, daft as this might sound, my finger hurts when I try and move my hand as if I'm running - it throbs like mad, so may have to defer.   

07/12/2012 at 13:39
Afternoon mandie,

Good news about bobbi and your fingerlooks nasty !!!! Hope it heals soon.

Well the cross training has so far consisted of putting some washing in and sitting on the settee all afternoon watching reruns of DIY SOS, now that is what i call rock'n'roll !! I might get up soon and do something,or then again i might not bother
07/12/2012 at 13:42

LOL!! I really should be getting on with a pile of ironing or writing some Xmas cards.....somehow its just not happening.

07/12/2012 at 14:01
I got up, put some washing on he radiator, ate some of the kids selection boxes, made a cup of coffee and now sitting back down again, phew that was hard work
07/12/2012 at 14:10

I've brought the ironing board downstairs which is now leaning, folded up, against the living room wall. Don't want to put too much strain on my finger too soon do I?

07/12/2012 at 14:40
Very sensible mandie, save the excitement of ironing until your finger feels better
07/12/2012 at 14:41

Fiona- we do have a B route to use when its icy (the road by the lock gets lethal) but the B route is more flooded than the A route still.  And last nights rain/ sleet won't have helped the river level either.

Mandie- you and Bobbi must look like train crash survivors when you are out together. Are you safe with an iron? - i'd stick to card writing/ day time TV if I were you.

07/12/2012 at 15:04

I am so pleased I'm not the only one who puts housework off in favour of slobbing in front of the telly watching crap.

07/12/2012 at 15:17

I know the feeling - I still have a huge pile of holiday ironing and cards to write and presents to wrap, but I'd still sit and watch House on DVD - I'm, up to the beginning of season 4  still a long way to go.

Mr SJ and Stringy - hopefully see you tomorrow.

Mandie - Ouch I had a similar problem with my toe when I dropped that drawer on it. And no it doesn't sound silly that it hurts when running.

OS - unfortunate. I think you need a plan C.

07/12/2012 at 19:06

Fiona- we had the same thought!  Even the carpark we use was flooded for the 1st 2 cancellations...

1,461 to 1,480 of 4,716 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.