Great North Run 2013

Come one, come all; everyone welcome on this year long build up to the GNR

1,521 to 1,540 of 4,716 messages
12/12/2012 at 08:25
Graham - it wasnt too bad on the course, very surprised they didnt miss the bay out as that was pretty slippy across the bottom although the ramps up and down were ok. Very few people there compared to normal and it was absolutely freezing !!!!

Very average run for me again, 3.56 miles in 24:27, just cant seem to get into race mode at the moment and seem to average the same pace for any race i do from 5k-10k !
12/12/2012 at 11:20

mr sj, thanks. The cold itself wouldn't normally put me off - I've been there on some very bitter evenings. I also thought they might have missed the bay bit out as they have done on previous occasions when there's been ice around. Well done for turning out but I think I did the right thing for me. I broke my shoulder back in June in quite a nasty fall and just don't want to take any unnecessary risks just now. A gentle training run where you can be careful is one thing, charging along at racing speed is another. As for your running, maybe you need to mix it up a bit in training? I also felt in a rut earlier in the year and decided to go to the gym once a week for core and leg strengthening work and also to the track regularly for quick interval sessions. Anything to vary the old routine.

12/12/2012 at 14:36
I think youre right graham, i go to the club twice a week and we tend to do the same things time and time again and 2 longer runs each week at around 8 min mile pace.

I need to do some strength and core work and i may even force myself to run without the garmin once in a while !!
13/12/2012 at 21:07

Hello.

http://s4.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/393956/gallery/reindeer.gif?width=350

13/12/2012 at 22:04

Hello stringy!

13/12/2012 at 22:04
Evening stringy, just remembered i havent replied to your text but my phones all the way in the kitchen and i cant be bothered to walk tha far. Sorry but cant do sat morning, no longer have a helmet as upon closer inspection mine had literally cracked in half !

Had a great session at the club tonight, we did 13 x 250m with 150m walking recoveries. Did the first 8 at 52secs, next 3 at 51 and the last 2 at 48secs. Have now run 970 miles this year and only 30 left to go to hit my 1000 target, shoul achieve it a week on sunday !!
13/12/2012 at 23:42

Evening.
No probs SJ.

Hi Vixx. 

14/12/2012 at 10:32

Stringy - that's a very festive post.

Mr SJ - is santa bringing a new helmet?

Vixx - how's things?

14/12/2012 at 14:10
Fiona - cant wait for santa as i need it for work so mr postman will be delivering it some time tomorrow hopeully !
14/12/2012 at 14:40

Afternoon all.

Hi Fiona.

mr sj - how are your bumps and bruises now?

I've just (finally) entered next years race, seeing as today is payday for me

Having said that, still no running from me. I daren't even try and count up my total for the year as this must be my worst one since I started. At this rate I'll be starting from scratch when I finally get out there again.

14/12/2012 at 14:45
Afternoon mandie, bumps and bruises are fine thanks, shoulder still a bit panful but i can handle the pain !
14/12/2012 at 14:49

That's good mr sj - hope the helmet does arrive tomorrow and you can get back out there.

14/12/2012 at 16:31

Mandie ~waves~

Mr SJ - needs must I suppose.

14/12/2012 at 18:08
Very true fiona but its an expense i could havedone without, but never mind at leadt the ladt one did its job and kept my head in one piece
14/12/2012 at 21:10

If not your fingers

14/12/2012 at 23:03
Lol, yes thats true but i would like to blame the very sensitive and stupidly small ipad keyboard and my enormous chubby fingers !!
15/12/2012 at 18:48

Evening everyone.

I haven't posted in what seems ages, as I haven't run since a week gone Tuesday ... largely thanks to the bad weather and the fact that it's nearly Christmas and I've got 100 + 1 other things to do.

However, that changed today as it was our club's turn to host the cross-country.  No hills, but plenty of mud!  Thought I was going to lose a shoe on more than one occasion - lord, running in thick mud doesn't half take it out of your legs.

Came home and hosed myself down in the back garden (brrr!), rustled up some home-made mince pies, stood under a hot shower for about half an hour, and have just tucked into one with some double cream and real coffee - perfect!

15/12/2012 at 19:11

Another one who did the cross-country today. Shielsy's right about the mud, lots and lots of it after yesterday's heavy rain, but I was told by some club mates not to complain as you had to have been at the cross-country in Hartlepool last week to truly know what real mud's like. Pleased I missed out on that one then. I took my shoes off at the front door and then trod in muddy footprints off my socks! Not having a hose-pipe, I took a bucket of (hot!) water outside with a large sponge to get the worst off before a bath. An enjoyable well-marshalled race though. Some results already out, which is impressive.

Edited: 15/12/2012 at 19:12
15/12/2012 at 19:27

Hi Graham - I thought I saw you there when I finished.

Yes, everyone was going on about how awful Hartlepool was last week, I was pleased  I couldn't make it.

I heard that one chap fell in the mud from head to toe ... I know it sounds awful but I would have loved to have seen that (as long as he was ok ... which I'm sure he was with such a soft landing)

16/12/2012 at 21:19

A whole day without a post??  I guess everyone is busy wrapping my pressies.

We had our club's Christmas pud run (a half mara) today.  I found it ridiculously hard for some reason and kept getting stitches, but it was lovely day for running and as someone else pointed out, I wouldn't have run 13 miles today otherwise!

1,521 to 1,540 of 4,716 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.