Great North Run 2013

Come one, come all; everyone welcome on this year long build up to the GNR

1,541 to 1,560 of 4,717 messages
17/12/2012 at 13:31
Afternoon OS and everyone else.

Very quiet on here recently, i enjoyed a nice 12 miler yesterday morning, only intended to do 9 but tried a new route and it worked out a lot longer than i had envisaged ! Was averaging 8:09 pace and felt very easy the whole way round, a very enjoyable statt to a sunday morning.

I am now on 989 miles for the year and just 11 to go to hit 1000 !!!! Was planning on hitting it this week but a horrible cold has developed since yesterday afternoon and may have to give club a miss tomorrow night, short club session on thursday and then hoping for another long run on sunday with a few clubmates and that should hopefully be it !
17/12/2012 at 21:00

You'll hit your target no problem mr sj. Great achievement.

Is anyone else getting irritating pop ups on this page?

17/12/2012 at 21:12

Yes, me. Annoying to say the least....

How are you OS?

18/12/2012 at 10:51

OS - no thankfully, but I noticed a new thread started yesterday with that complaint.

Vixx - very seasonal.

Today I start my marathon training programme .......and stayed in bed.  Will need to do it after work instead. 8 miles with 4 at HM pace - it's going to be a shock.

18/12/2012 at 11:04

Another marathon Fiona?  Which one is it this time?

I'm not thinking about marathon training till I've got Christmas out of the way.  And I keep forgetting I'm doing the Brass Monkey in January.  Seems like ages since I went for a long run - work and Cross country is really playing havoc with my 'proper training'.

Off to club tonight for the last session of the year (other than the club run we have on Boxing Day).

mr sj - hope you're feeling better soon.

18/12/2012 at 12:17

Shielsy - I got another ballot place for VLM.  I couldn't believe it.  I didn't think there was any likelihood so had decided not to do a marathon next year and concentrate on speedier stuff - had a rough plan sorted and everything and then I got a place ........

Mr SJ - I'm sure 11 miles can be divided into several short slow runs compatible with the bug.

18/12/2012 at 13:42

I'm doing London too Fiona

Hi shielsy - how are you?

Hope you get your mileage in mr sj

18/12/2012 at 14:32

Next year will be my third year without doing a marathon - not sure if I'm happy, sad or relieved about that

Shielsy - I'm sure the xc will be doing you more good than harm - tough in all that mud but great for the fitness!

Well I've finally run!!  Only a little 3 miler to test the legs but it was actually quite nice to get out there again and hoping to do a couple more of the same this week before building back up for Haweswater in March.

18/12/2012 at 16:28

Vixx - finally!!!!!

Mandie - glad you enjoyed getting back out there.

18/12/2012 at 21:14

Ooh, London - how exciting.  Hope both your training goes well (Fiona and Vixx)

Club session tonight wasn't too bad, but I found it quite hard going, despite it being my favourite session.

I'm now officially counting down the days until I break up for Christmas (Friday).  This week is absolutely dragging.

18/12/2012 at 21:42

What time did you put down Fiona?  I might try sticking the same as you down next year to see if the faster categories will have me     

Hey! Where did all these new smilies spring up from ? 

18/12/2012 at 22:08
Drift - I would have put 4 hours I think. You could argue that I was rather unlucky. But wasn't going to pass up the chance. I think next year I'll not apply.
19/12/2012 at 09:15

Hope everyone is well.  I feel like a fraud as I've not run since the Brighton 10K.

I've requested to actually run this Saturday at parkrun, dressed as Santa.  I've been at parkrun every Saturday and I've now done almost every volunteering role.  I was the Run Director (and to go with that the report writer) a few weeks ago and the only "issue" was the megaphone was not very loud!  Thankfully I had to do the short run brief as it was one of the chilly mornings and so we don't like people getting too cold whilst waiting for us to waffle!

Mr SJ, I hope that you make it to your 1000 miles for the year. That's some achievement.

Anyway, I just wanted to wish everyone a really Merry Christmas and a very Happy New Year. 

Bob.

19/12/2012 at 22:17

Same to you Bob ... hope you have a great Christmas.

19/12/2012 at 22:27

Fiona and Vixx- i'm doing London too. My training plan, just as it happens, starts on 31/12 so I intend to fill up my stores over Christmas with lots of calories to keep me going for the next 4 months.

Pleased to see my pop ups have popped off.

We are still waiting to see if our parkrun can be held- its not looking good at the moment.  The course was runnable this morning, but its been raining since and a whole lot more rain predicted tomorrow too.  It will be our 4th in a row we've cancelled .

20/12/2012 at 00:46

Hope your local parkrun can be held his week OS,we have our  festive optional fancy dress parkrun this week.Santa will be there,hopefully two or more.

Edited: 20/12/2012 at 09:22
20/12/2012 at 10:48

Bob - have a great parkrun

OS - fingers crossed the parkrun is viable. You'll be much faster than me or Vixx at VLM I suspect.

Shielsy - I really enjoyed VLM last year, but it does work out rather expensive.

I think we are a fancy dress parkrun as well this week so I might have to hunt out the santa hat.  and look like this ......or maybe  if I try to go too fast.

20/12/2012 at 13:36

as long as I beat 6:22:41 I'm happy

Hope everyone is well

20/12/2012 at 16:34
I was thinking of parkrunning this weekend in my christmas jumper but its heavy thick wool and not sure i could manage 5k wearing it !
20/12/2012 at 21:24
mr sj wrote (see)
I was thinking of parkrunning this weekend in my christmas jumper but its heavy thick wool and not sure i could manage 5k wearing it !

and if it continues raining like it has been today - you'll end up finish parkrun weighing 2 stones more!

1,541 to 1,560 of 4,717 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.