Great North Run 2013

Come one, come all; everyone welcome on this year long build up to the GNR

1,681 to 1,700 of 4,716 messages
03/01/2013 at 14:22
Tanlash wrote (see)

Good morning & Happy New Year everyone!

I was just wondering if anyone has received a confirmation email to say they have entered the GNR ballot?

I entered last night, money 'taken' from my account  - checked on my great run account and it says I have entered the ballot! In previous years I have received the confirmation email quite quick.

I have checked my inbox and junk but still no mail  

Bit concerned, only a bit!!

I entered the ballot yesterday and got an email confirmation pretty much straight away.

I'm a bit concerned you say money was "taken" from your account as the confirmation email says that the race entry fee will only be deducted from your account if your name is drawn out of the ballot. 

Made it out last night for the first run of 2013. Managed just over 5 miles but damn those mince pies & chocolate over the holiday break

03/01/2013 at 17:00

I havent had an email confirmation either, but according to their FB page if it says you are entered on your profile page then thats fine.

Payment is deducted from your available bank balance immediately, but only processed if you get a place.

Good luck everybody!

K80
03/01/2013 at 18:17

Oooh panicing then because I thought peeps were being notified of their success - and i wasn't... again

1st run in absolutely months today. Only 5k and it took almost an hour. But it was through bogs and stuff and included 301m elevation gain (Moel Arthur).

Couldn't believe the state of my face when i got back in the car, I looked like the Ribena men.

03/01/2013 at 18:23

Sorry Andrew what I meant by 'taken' was that there is a £49 deficit in my credit limit at the moment so it hasn't been deducted yet( but I hope I am successful and it will be )

Thanks Oscarsmum for confimation - feel better now

03/01/2013 at 20:08
BP,Hope your tests come back ok,my family has a poor history for heart problems so I've had a lot tests.
I got a confirmation email to say been entered in the ballot.
Got a canny pair of adidas response trainers up at Dalton Park in the sale 20 quid bargain.
No training yet,after a hangover yesterday,woke really snotty and full have cold today,looks like I've caught the lurgy that everyone at work has had.
03/01/2013 at 20:32

Blimey Spongecake, that is a bargain! Sorry to hear you have caught the lurgy, hope you are feeling better soon (hot toddies are highly recommended!)

03/01/2013 at 20:43

Evening everyone - and Happy New Year to one and all .

I've just checked my mileage for 2012 and it was 578, which doesn't seem a lot but I was barely running at all until May so it wasn't too bad I suppose (for me).

Best of luck to everyone entering the ballot.

My first run of the new year tonight after work - just 6.5 miles.  The first 3 miles were great, the last 2 were a bit tougher, but I was pleased with my pace.  Now it's a case of ramping up the miles and training for the Sunderland Marathon in April (I still think I'm kind of in denial about it).

Was supposed to go out running yesterday, but attended my uncle's funeral.  He was 96 and his death got a lot of attention in the local news as he was the last surviving Jarrow Marcher.  Well, technically he wasn't a 'proper' Jarrow Marcher, as he only joined the Crusade once they got down to London - he was working down there so accompanied my grandad (who was one of the marchers) on the last bit of it.  He was a real character, travelled all over the world in the navy, had tons of stories and has often appeared in documentaries about the Jarrow March over the years, including a 3 part programme about the British working class fronted by Paul O'Grady that's going to be shown some time this year.

03/01/2013 at 20:48
Shielsey - sorry to hear about your uncle, i was reading about him in the paper the other day and telling miss sj about the jarrow march.

Just been out for my first run of the year, went to the running club and got promoted to the fast group (due to limited numbers of people attending) ! It was a killer, we did 400, 800, 1200, 1200, 800, 400 and all at 21 secs per 100m !

I made the first 400 and 800 but was slow on the two 1200's and then was clinging on for dear life on the 800 but managed to hit the pace for the final 400, killer of a session but exactly what i need to hit some pb's this year
03/01/2013 at 20:57
All my heart scan tests proved good so no heart issues. Consultant now decided that due to no history in family the chances of a heart condition are virtually nil. She believes that there is every chance that it could be a case I have got asthma brought on by hard training over a short period and coupled together with work stress. I need to try an inhaler for a short while to see if this helps.
03/01/2013 at 21:12
Mandie,Thanks for the hot toddie advice,but I'm not going near a drink for a while,had way to much on new years day.Its useful having size 14 feet,you can get some right bargains.
Shielsy,condolences to you and the family.I read of your uncles passing in the paper and wondered if you were related when I saw the name.When I worked in the factory,quite a few lads were from jarrow and were very proud of there history.
Mr sj,sounds like a brutal session.
03/01/2013 at 21:14
BP,good news glad your ok.
03/01/2013 at 21:34
Shielsey - condolences to you and family as well, but a great life to have lived to that age and been part of a major issue in history
04/01/2013 at 10:42

To anyone interested, the entries are open for the junior and mini GNRs now. I was expecting a reminder email which never came - must have entered wrong email adress or something. My 6 year old has been nagging me ever since last year when some of her friends turned up to school on the Monday after with their medals.

Last day for the Mirror ballot for the main event as well.

04/01/2013 at 11:58

Shielsy - sorry to hear about your uncle. I'll keep my eye open for that series to start. It sounds like it will be a very interesting programme (and I just adore Paul O'Grady).

mr sj - nope.....you are still not selling those club sessions to me!

Bearstead Plodder - that must be such a relief for you and your family. Hope the inhaler does the trick for you.

Hope you are feeling better today, Spongecake.  

04/01/2013 at 13:14

Mandie R - Cheers - as soon as I got back from hospital yesterday I went on the treadmill and did a speed session just to get my mind back in gear that I was not going to keel over - it felt so good. now the hard work of 16 weeks training for the Manchester Marathon.

04/01/2013 at 16:49
Hi
Mandie,Hows the finger doing,has it healed yet.
I'm feeling pretty rough,had to go into work as we've only got a small team and I couldnt get anyone to cover my shift.
04/01/2013 at 18:20

Spongecake - thats a bit rubbish that its down to you to find cover when you are not well and all you want is wrap yourself up on the settee. Take care of yourself tho, won't you?

Finger is starting to feel a lot better now, thanks, although its still feels very tender to touch and the nail is still black.  

04/01/2013 at 18:50

Thanks Mandie,The person I was going to ask for cover was my boss but shes ill as well.I'm sure i'll survive.

Your finger looked really sore in the pics,it must of been painful when you did it.I once trapped my fingers in a hatch door on a ship and three nails on my left hand were throbbing like hell,In the end I had to have pins heated over a bunson burner,and pushed through the nails to relieve the pressure.Sounds horrible but was such a relief after procedure had been done.

04/01/2013 at 19:22

Yuck - you were braver than me then, I just couldn't have done that!

It didn't actually hurt when I did it. I think my finger just went into shock and shut itself down. Its been damn painful whilst its been getting better though, its amazing just how many times I bang it on something! At least it has stopped throbbing when I run now as i felt such a baby saying couldn't run because I had broken my finger!

04/01/2013 at 20:10

Your on the mend thats the main thing  

mr sj,Where did you get your sufferfest dvds from.Been looking at clips on youtube and they look like fun in a sick kind of way.

1,681 to 1,700 of 4,716 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.