Great North Run 2013

Come one, come all; everyone welcome on this year long build up to the GNR

1,701 to 1,720 of 4,717 messages
04/01/2013 at 21:05
I'm feeling faint reading about these jammed fingers!

Remember when I bruised my thigh falling at the GNR? I've still got a lump there + in recent days it's started to really hurt again, which is weird.

No running tonight - felt exhausted all day and fell asleep in front of Emmerdale.
04/01/2013 at 21:19
Spongecake - you have to download them directly from sufferfest.com, they are an american company and they work out at between 6-9 quid for each one, depending on how fast your internet is they can take upto 2 hours to download and they are absolute killers !
04/01/2013 at 21:20
Shielsey - did you ever go to the docs about it ? I still have no feeling in e side of my head from when i came off my bike ! I blame stringy for it.
04/01/2013 at 21:37
Shielsy may be worth getting it checked out.Deep bruising can take a long time to clear.
Mr sj,bloody good job you had a helmet on that day.Think I'll download one onto my laptop,do they transfer easily once downloaded.
04/01/2013 at 22:19
Yeah it downloads as a zip file and then you can copy it and move it around no problem, i watch them on the laptop and also stuck one onto a dvd to watch in the kitchen when on e turbo.

Ive got 'there is no try' which is a good speed session with lods of efforts ranging from 15secs to 2 mins at increasing levels, good and hard going.

'a very dark place' which is another speed one with 5 min intervals with 3-4 min recoveries, seems easier than the last one because of longer recoveries but still very hard going

'the hunted' this is a climbing one and a total killer ! Did it fr the 2nd time tonight and it has increasing intervals and then builds up to a 20 min climb ! Pretty steady but gets harder and harder and then a ast downhill and then 10 mins of increasing pace !!
04/01/2013 at 22:40
Blimey they sound horrible,think I'll go the three set option.My turbo is in the garage and ive got an tv/DVD player to watch.should liven up the sessions a bit introducing some pain,and beats looking at brick wall.
05/01/2013 at 09:53
In my ignorance I actually thought Sufferfest was a new computer game like Halo or something when you were talking about it on FB.
Edited: 05/01/2013 at 09:53
05/01/2013 at 11:29
Spongecake - ive just sent you a link on FB for a 10% discount on sufferfest, may have to order another one now for myself !

Shielsey - they are nowhere near as much fun as a computer game ! An hour of pain and sweating like a madman !
05/01/2013 at 11:38
Thanks sj,will order on the laptop later,phone isn't letting m
e.
Shielsy,I thought the same when I first heard about them.
05/01/2013 at 13:00

A belated Happy New Year to all my friends on the thread!  Sorry not to have been around recently - up to my ears in UCAS applications at work at this time of year.  The little darlings always leave it to the last minute.

Started 2013 parkrun this morning with a good one - dry conditions, record attendance, not a pb, but my 3rd best run ever.  My mileage is up this winter and the running is going well.  40 parkruns today (how are you doing RLTW? - Who will be first to 50?)

Mandie - what a lovely post you did on your summary of a year that started off unpromisingly for you, and has just gone from strength to strength.  How lovely!  It gives hope to us all.  And, I agree with one of your highlights - Blaydon was a fantastic experience this year, which I think cemented my optimism about my running and was fantastic to share with my running friends.

Happy 2013 to everyone xxx

05/01/2013 at 16:16
Afternoon, a very quick visit.

XL - yes up in Dundee since Thursday so currently partaking of free wifi in cafe Nero.

Happy New Year to all.

Pengywn - 40 parkruns. I think next week will be 20 for me.

I think I'm up to 40 miles for the new year already.

Shielsy - I also thought sponge was on about some form of game. Sorry to hear about your uncle.

Mandie - the black nail will probably be there for ages yet. My toenail is still black from august when I dropped that drawer on it.

Hello to everyone else.
05/01/2013 at 17:36

Hello everypeople,

as Pengwyn said, great start to the year at parkrun this morning. It was the best conditions we've had on the moor for quite sometime. That, and no doubt a few New Year resolutions contributed to our biggest ever turnout at 403 ! (If that seems a lot, spare a thought for the results team at Bushy, Herts who saw 1,051 parkrunners cross the line this morning!)  I got nowhere near my PPB (or even my 3rd best time) but was pleased to get under 21:30 for the first time in ages.

Hi Fiona, 40 miles already? Wow - I guess that's marathon training for you. (Insane ) Hope you've had a good weekend in Dundee.

I have entered my first races for 2013 - the Run Northumbelrand 10k series. Five races (an extra on in Ponteland having been added) this year, between April and October. Still dithering about spring half marathons; Haweswater on March 3rd, Kirkley Hall on 10th, or both ? North Tyneside will be sooner than usual this year too, as Easter Sunday is on the beautifully pallindromic 31.3.13

Edited: 05/01/2013 at 18:10
05/01/2013 at 19:09

pengwyn wrote (see)

40 parkruns today (how are you doing RLTW? - Who will be first to 50?)

You will Pengwyn.  I've done naff-all recently.  We were away over Christmas and New Year and I was working today from 8am.  I haven't got an excuse for every week - but it's been hectic and I have a serious case of cba

Happy New Year to everyone and welcome to all the new folks who have been popping in during the ballot entry.  Good luck all.

Edited: 05/01/2013 at 19:09
05/01/2013 at 19:40

Aww - don't give up on the race, RLTW... although I have been there and know how you feel!  As Brucie would nearly say... "Keeep Running!" x

05/01/2013 at 21:07

My total is 35 so I have a little bit of catching up to do. Well done on your 40

06/01/2013 at 17:01

Afternoon everyone.

Well, all the Christmas decorations are taken down at last and are back  in the loft for another year - the place looks so drab without them  .

Out today for 14 miles.  It looked gorgeous before I left the house, so left my gloves and ear warmers at home, but realised quite early on that it was colder than it looked so could've done with them.  Since it was the New Year and I'm officially starting marathon training I thought I'd try running a new route, and it was quite pleasant to be running somewhere different to what you're used to.

Was shattered by the end of it though.  I'm now technically tapering for the Brass Monkey half in 2 weeks - but I'm starting marathon training now too, so it's a bit confusing.

Hope everyone's well.

06/01/2013 at 17:45
During marathon training I never taper for a half I just include it as training and always use one half as a speed run
06/01/2013 at 18:00

Well done Shielsy! Have you warmed up yet?

I've done 6 today, and it's nice to feel that the treatment I am now on appears to be working as that's the fastest 6 miles I have done for a long time, and it didn't even feel too tough

Hi Bearsted - how are you?

06/01/2013 at 18:52
Vix - great to hear you are getting better and back running relatively freely.
As far as me now I have been told that the issues I have had are not related to my heart and that my heart is strong I can now concentrate on my Marahon training. Still don't know what is causing problems but may be exercise related asthma so will get an inhaler from doctor and see if tht helps. Hope your recovery keeps going
06/01/2013 at 19:32

Thank you Bearsted.  Am glad to hear that there is nothing wrong with your heart! Which mara are you training for?

1,701 to 1,720 of 4,717 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.