Great North Run 2014

Oggy oggy oggy, oi oi oi !!

601 to 604 of 604 messages
29/08/2014 at 17:22

wow, it's really quiet in this forum, guess everyone is overcome with excitement!! Hi

Ali, glad to hear things going well! I suppose you haver to decide what you want out of each race, Edi was your 1st full if I remember correctly so hopefully you'll be looking to improve on that but LN a wee bit hillier so you don;t want to knacker yourself, like GP said. You could always have a wee 3 miler before GNR  (run from 3 miles out back to the start - you'll probably also get on the telly or barred!) and then race the half, in my mind that equates to an LSR of 20 but then my mind is a bit leftfield! Or you could do a very easy 20 this weekend and an easy GNR - just depends if you're "going for it" or not!  I'm not going for it , found out a mate of a mate is doing it (his first ever half!) so going to pace him to get under 2 hours hopefully, he's just about there. My injury's healed nicely but not in time for me to race to so I'm just going to enjoy the day and soak up the atmosphere and hopefully help someone else reach their goal. Good luck whatever you do anyway!

Yesterday at 18:46

"Easy 20" - what is that? 20 mins, yes, 20 miles no. Decided to just get myself out this am. Managed somewhere between 19-20 (Garmin doesn't take into account my undulating route and x country forays so I'm cutting myself a bit of slack). Found it quite a tough plod then took a bit of a funny turn when I got back. Reckon I didn't fuel enough en route then jumped in shower too quickly when I got back. Light- headed and nauseous wasn't the feeling I was aiming for but I'll give myself an easy week and should be raring to go come Sunday! 

Yesterday at 19:29

Looking forward to my first GNR- sounds like a good event reading from previous runners

Does anyone know how the best way to get back to near the start at the finish? Would I need to carry some cash with me or buy a ticket beforehand?

Yesterday at 22:37

Dipesh - best way back to start is by using metro, it is direct South Shields to Newcastle (Central Station, Monument or Haymarket). Haymarket is closest to the start.

you can buy a ticket at the metro station with cash or credit card. Think you may be able to buy tickets in advance, if you google "metro nexus" you will find more info.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
601 to 604 of 604 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.