Great North Run 2014

Oggy oggy oggy, oi oi oi !!

81 to 100 of 662 messages
18/09/2013 at 08:56

May I ask a question from someone who is looking to do this for the first time next year.

I am planning on getting a hotel in Sunderland, driving to the finish line in the morning and then the metro or bus to the start line.

If I did that what time approximately would I need to arrive at the finish line to park my car, have time to get to the bus/metro in order to the get to the start line on time.

I am looking to book my hotel today so I would welcome your thoughts on whether my plan would work, as I am getting all a little lost as to what to do, as hotels in Newcastle cost a fortune etc and I want somewhere nice.

Thanks.

18/09/2013 at 09:10
Thanks for that Bearsted - I'll have a think about it!
18/09/2013 at 12:43

Hi JJ8  -  we parked at the finish line for 08.30, queued for 45 minutes to get on the bus, walked across Newcastle to the start line and got there at 10.15, which was ok but I always worry that we're not going to get to the baggage buses on time.  It can take a lot longer than you think driving into South Shields (obviously, given the traffic) and part of the fun of the day is the twitchy adrenaline fuelled camaraderie in the starting pens so you woudn't want to miss that!

Yours is certainly a sensible idea and prevents having to queue for buses back to the beginning when you've finished and all you want to do is fall in a heap but do make sure you give yourself plenty of time, plus a bit for mishaps

but whatever you do, do do it!

18/09/2013 at 14:44

JJ8 - If I were you I'd park at a Metro station on the Sunderland - Newcastle - Airport line, catch the Metro to the start (I caught one at 09:20 this year from East Boldon Metro Station), gets you to the start for around 10:05. Then you return on the Metro from South Shields, change at Pelaw back on to the Sunderland - Newcastle line (the Green one on the Metro map) and you're back at your car and better still clear of all of the post run trafic and straight on to the A19 or A1 south.

18/09/2013 at 17:59

thanks folks, makes sense and puts my mind at rest that it will work.

18/09/2013 at 18:54

As far as hotels go, not doing it next year, but the last couple of times I ran 3 and 4 years ago, made use of the Newcastle University accomodation.

It cannot be booked straight away, normally new year time? 

But benefits from being 1,2 or 3 night stays, very close to the start line - 10 minute walk.  Breakfast included, very cheap.

Spent about 6 years being ripped off by B&Bs / Hotels that would only accept 2 night or more stays.  Only needed the 1.

Would recommend contacing the uni to see if things have changed or if they can give you a waiting list, but if I was running, would make use of it.  Hope this helps.

18/09/2013 at 19:34
Stephen Mackin wrote (see)

JJ8 - If I were you I'd park at a Metro station on the Sunderland - Newcastle - Airport line, catch the Metro to the start (I caught one at 09:20 this year from East Boldon Metro Station), gets you to the start for around 10:05. Then you return on the Metro from South Shields, change at Pelaw back on to the Sunderland - Newcastle line (the Green one on the Metro map) and you're back at your car and better still clear of all of the post run trafic and straight on to the A19 or A1 south.

But that means you would still have the hassle of walking to the metro Station (well over a mile away) and then the potentially massive queue to get on a metro. I think I'd rather just jump in my car at the end - at least if it starts pelting down you're snug and warm and not stuck in a long queue?

18/09/2013 at 20:08

7 miles tonight. Still got the race in my legs, so it was slow and heavy going, but good to get the first one out of the way. Can start thinking about the next race now.

18/09/2013 at 21:01

As ever it was a great event and reading the board a lot of happy people helped by the GNR weather Gods keeping the rain at bay as long as possible although it was tough when it hit me at about mile 4ish. I was running to raise funds for Diabetes UK in memory of a friend and his parents had travelled to stand with my wife at the finish. Training had gone well but a foot injury for 10days before the start left some anxiety but I had managed a fast 5k on Wednesday. Sub 2 hours was the target and I set off on my own race, not getting caught up with others, through 5 miles just outside my best 5 mile pace and through 10k in 52mins as I found the first half surprisingly comfortable. Hitting 15k in 1:19 and I was sure that if nothing went wrong I would hit my target and then shortly after 10m the painkillers wore off and I could feel the foot injury and changing stride affected my calves but then I had put alot into the race as well. Gritted teeth and a slower pace ensued but as I saw my wife and friends parents 200m from the finish I had a huge smile and crossed in 1:55:41, mullering my half pb by 9mins and GNR pb by 13mins and I know that without the injury this could have been even better but save that for next year. 

I must say a huge thanks to the people of the North-East for turning out in the predicted awful weather which fortunately wasnt too bad, soaked to the skin at 4-5miles but dryish by the end in the strong wind.

Caught up with Shrek, Mandie & Stringy, hope to see everyone else next year.

18/09/2013 at 21:20

Narrow feet know what you mean did a speed session last night on treadmill and was OK but a tempo 9 miler tonight was very hard the quads would not work so every other muscle had to work differently and it all felt weird 

18/09/2013 at 21:40

No running for me as yet, but walked 10 dogs at the shelter today (including jogging a little with some of them to stretch their legs). Am giving myself this week off proper running so that will have to do for me.

18/09/2013 at 21:43

I did 5.5miles yesterday.  I have a plan for next year.

How is everyone? Missing the adrenaline?

18/09/2013 at 21:52
I don't have am option got York Marathon in October - 22 miler at weekend
18/09/2013 at 23:14
alexandra ruffer wrote (see)

. . . . . . . .  My grouch was not being able to find the shuttle bus back, and waiting  for over an hour in the queue for the metro, being very cold and wet at that point.But Hey - still loved it

That could depend on what time you were looking for one.  There had been an incident up the road which needed an ambulance and there was about an hour when no buses could get to us at the finish - then 10 arrived!  That's not normal at all and they would usually be turning up constantly. 

I haven't run again yet either but I did do a 2-3 mile walk the next day and a couple more brisk walks since.  I have another half in, wow, 3 weeks  (I had thought it was 2!)

19/09/2013 at 06:59

Vixx, what's the plan ?

is Mo your pacemaker for '14 ?

19/09/2013 at 08:45

Shrek - only if I am going to be dragged face-down by his shoelaces to South Shields

19/09/2013 at 13:26

I've got a question. Rather than head back to Newcastle fairly soon after the race next year, we're thinking of hanging around in South Shields for a few drinks and maybe a curry. Anyone know what time the metro queue has disappeared by and whether the restaurants along Ocean Road take bookings for the early evening?

19/09/2013 at 13:57

Afternoon all, hope everyone has recovered well. Just in from a 5 mile easy run. Slightly put out from the review I left about the hotel we stayed in over the weekend, saying it was supplied by a mature person. I just about qualify for life assurance of Parky.

19/09/2013 at 14:36

Cracking 24 mile bike ride this morning in the lashing down rain. Only got lost once

StringysRunningBlog has my GNR 2013 race report.

19/09/2013 at 15:16

And it's a fantastic race report

81 to 100 of 662 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.