Great South Run

Cold, wet and fun

4 messages
23/10/2006 at 15:07
What a difference from the last two years, I ran a PB based on the thought that I had warm dry clothes at the finish.
Luckily I was in the orange wave and managed to get near the front so I didn't get caught up with the "walkers". It is a great run though. I think it could be better if the waves were organised by estimated times.
Another bonus, the trains were running this year too.
23/10/2006 at 15:53
I imagine this could have been a good run if organised better. Starting in the third wave was terrible if you were looking to run, with so many walkers and slow runners from the first two waves I gave up on a good time after two miles. Thought the route was also fairly dull but maybe this was due to the bad weather.
Frankly I found it quite boring and poorly organised, not a patch on the GNR and in future I think I'll stick to the far more enjoyable locally organised 10 mile events.

Plus I got injured when someone through a water bottle on the floor with its lid still on right in front of me.
23/10/2006 at 16:21
Yeah, you didn't see Portsmouth and Southsea at it's best and perhaps the GSR is getting a bit big, and people who don't intend to try too hard should be a bit more thoughtfull, I was running for a local charity but I was also trying for a PB.
23/10/2006 at 16:53
Just like to add that this was my first 10 mile race and was runing in the green wave but hoping for a good time. Wouldn't say I enjoyed it more that I endured it. It was great to see some cheery spectators who were enthusiastic in their encouragement, some however looked wetter than I was and completely miserable. Thought the last two miles were an absolute killer with that wind and torrentail rain. All in a wet and truely memorable day. Enjoyed it really!

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
4 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.