Great Welsh Marathon 2013

81 to 100 of 130 messages
17/04/2013 at 14:11

I'm going to have to pull out of this I'm afraid. Struggled on Sunday at Brighton with a tight chest and coughing, and now been diagnosed with bronchitis. Oh well at least I have a good excuse for being so slow.

17/04/2013 at 15:57

Douglas - that's really bad news, sorry to hear that. It's bad enough having to pull out with a running injury but coughs and colds are just as bad if not worse. Best of luck with the recovery.  

legend - I worked out the numbers based on the list of entrants on the main site page. There were 60 pages of names @ 10 per page. I agree, it does sound like low numbers for the half but maybe they are trying it out as a combined event this year and wanted to keep them low.

You're right, full marathon runners have white numbers and half marathon runners have red. 

Edited: 17/04/2013 at 15:59
17/04/2013 at 16:42

Hi Malcs,

Good luck for this weekend.  Only 600 runners, it's going to require some extra grit and determination but I'm sure your up for it.  If you read Dannir's recent comments about the supporters then you'll understand how important they are, this is the great advantage of the bigger events, although I'm sure all the people of Llanelli will be shouting for you.

I loved my HM with only a few hundred runners, there were moments of solitude as we were spread out on the course but this was made up by the warm welcome at the finish.  I was looking at a local marathon next May which will be no bigger, now I'm thinking of bringing the date forward to November and there are 2 other local events at that time.

Hopefully the GWM site will be quickly updated with the finishing times and I am one of several looking forward to the race report. 3h29m38s is the time to beat , unfortunately it wasn't my time !  If not, remind Ady that he finished 7897th whereas you'll be in the top 600 !

GOOD LUCK TO EVERYONE

17/04/2013 at 18:59

Ha! In fact a top 400 place is all but guaranteed as 200 are doing the half marathon

Thanks for the good luck wishes - very much appreciated!

It's two laps so hopefully that will make it easier for the support. If my lot stay in the same place then I should see them four times at the very least.

If it's a nice day there will be plenty of people on the coastal path and even if they haven't come out specifically for the race I'm sure they will show their support. 

I will let you know how it goes.

18/04/2013 at 08:22

I've found the marshalls very supportive in the other coastal path races I've done over the past couple of years at plenty of support around the start / finish line which as you say, the marathon runners pass 4 times. Ideal if anyone is going down with you as they can hand over drinks / gels as you pass.

A few dog walkers / cyclists to contend with along the way as the path is open to the public, but don't think this has caused any issues in the past. Also, despite the low numbers, your rarely on your own due the out and back nature, if there's not someone close behind or in front, then there'll be someone coming towards you the other way.

19/04/2013 at 16:57

Has anyone had their race pack for this??  Mine hasn't arrived yet.  Only tomorrow morning to go now.  A little bit shabby.

19/04/2013 at 17:24

Mine arrived a couple of days ago. I would email or call them T Rex.

19/04/2013 at 17:58

I've bombarded them with messages via contact us on the website and email and left a message on their answerphone.  That should do it.

A little chaotic in the admin dept.

If it was my first marathon I'd be a little bit unnerved, but it isn't - it'll be my 83rd. 

Hope everyone's resting and seriously indulging in carbs.  Don't forget to clip toenails as short as possible.

19/04/2013 at 20:26

83rd??? That's a seriously awesome stat!

Douglas, so sorry that you can't take part, hope you feel better soon.

T Rex, hope they contact you, they did say there would be race numbers at the start for those whose had gone missing.

Well, I'm number 529 for the Half, it's red, which will clash beautifully with my purple hair . Not sure what number my running partner's number is (he signed up about a month ago), but HBA said on Facebook there were 700 people in total signed up and they expect around 500 to take part.

So. I have been absolutely bouncing with excitement about this for months, even this week with dropping the mileage and feeling a bit lost. But, today, BAM. Absolutely sick with nerves . I know I have done the mileage, followed a plan, followed all the good advice. I can, and will finish, no matter how long it takes; but this feeling has really caught me by surprise! Please, someone tell me it's normal?

Must not lose sight of the fact that the only reason I am doing this is because I simply love running, especially since I was such a late starter.

20/04/2013 at 07:06

T Rex - didn't they send you a half entry for their other race by mistake?  Maybe forgotten to put you back on the list.

My 285th tomorrow

Tina - you will be fine and yes. all you are going through is absolutely normal.   You'll have a brilliant run, you'd done the training, just don't go off too fast.

20/04/2013 at 08:06
Agree with Shades Tina. It's totally normal to feel like that in the days or even weeks just before a race. They call it taper madness. Mysterious pains can appear from out of nowhere. You can find yourself questioning every aspect of your training and panic that you've done too much or too little.

Try and relax. Think back through all the good work you've done and be confident that you are well prepared and will have a fantastic race.

My white race number goes rather well with m grey stubble
20/04/2013 at 12:11

285th? seriously awesome!

Went for a very short run last night, as per The Plan. Totally rubbish, legs of lead and tummy of jelly. Got home and thought about it, and realised even at that speed I can still do it in under 3 hours, my nominal target. Also had a long chat about it all with hubby (also doing Half, only in about 1 hour 30 he thinks), and as he pointed out, I have power walked 26.2 twice, so I know all about pacing and endurance, I just need to realise that.

Anyway, feeling much happier this morning, so thank you for your words of advice. Going off too fast has always been my biggest worry, so going to be a bit of a slave to the Garmin for the first couple of miles, just to be sure.

This time tomorrow, even I will have finished!

20/04/2013 at 14:57

Hi Shades.  That's an even bigger total than I thought!!  I only do about nine a year (mostly ultras) so I'm never going to catch you up. 

Yes, I've got to register on the day. Admin made a mess of my entry.

Keep drinking that water today but go easy in the morning pre-race.

Did my last run, an 18-miler, on Thursday which went reasonably well.  Practised my marathon pacing: first half 9:12, second 9:05 which hopefully should get me in in four hours.

No, don't go out too quickly.  There is a rule for newer runners that for every minute of "cushion" that you've built up compared to your target time at half way you lose two minutes by the finish.

20/04/2013 at 18:15
Good to hear you're sorted T Rex. Bit of a pain having to register though.

This will be only my sixth marathon. I feel inadequate
Edited: 20/04/2013 at 18:16
20/04/2013 at 18:32
Good luck to all running tomorrow. Especially those doing their first half or full marathon. Looking forward to it.
20/04/2013 at 19:13
Only my sixth as well malcs I'm a relative amateur in the field.
Good luck to all though if it's your first or hundred and first marathon.
See you all at the start line.
20/04/2013 at 19:44

It's at marathon #6 that you realise your potential at the distance.

This one should be a good one.  Could be a little damp as the morning wears on?

See you all there.

I'm the rather tall chap with small arms and only two fingers on each hand.

20/04/2013 at 19:57
Ha Excellent.

Damp is fine by me. Better that than today's weather - my feet don't blister but my head certainly does!

Best of luck all.
Edited: 20/04/2013 at 19:58
20/04/2013 at 20:49

don't forget the 29mph gusts of wind

I will be a/ at the very back, not getting in anyone's way, and b/ wearing lime green to tone with my purple hair and red face.. Runing buddy is a tall chap in a blue top. We should pretty much blend into the background I think.

21/04/2013 at 13:53

That. Was. Awesome.

81 to 100 of 130 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.