Greater Manchester Marathon - UK's Flattest Marathon 2014

Whos in - whats your goal

1,381 to 1,400 of 1,862 messages
26/03/2014 at 12:44

roger - yes it would be possible to watch the start, jump on the met at old trafford and get to Alty then get the tram back to old trafford for the end.  it all depends on how busy they are (they will be very busy shuttling people between Alty and Old trafford but you should still be ok).  regarding runner going both ways the best place is Brooklands road where you go past twice at roughly miles 10 and 16 (depending on where on the road you stand).  The top end of the road is right next to Brooklands metro stop so you could watch the 10 mile point, the 16 mile point then jump on the met and watch the finish.  Your only issue will be the metro will be hammered trying to get on there back to the finish as everyone will have loaded on at Alty.

Kirsty - I have exactly the same dilemma.  I have trained for a 3:30 but i know i will struggle for the last 6-10 miles purely due to being fairly new to this running lark and also i just don't have the long term endurance training.  Ive done 3 20 milers plus a 22, but that's it, in my life, ever   I worry that if i follow 3:45 i will find it easy until the last 6 then struggle anyway and may not even hit 3:45 or i follow the 3:30 and hope to hang on but in reality probably tail off and finish in 3:35-3:40.  I think whatever i follow i will likely tail off just down to endurance.

Cake    pirate
26/03/2014 at 12:57

Carter Warnock is a bit like marmite ever you love him or hate him. Think he could do a job for you but personally he annoy's me to much would say that being a wednesdayite through.

Sports massage can be very useful and I try and get one when ever I can in general but if you've not had one before if you have one it will release a lot of build up of rubbish you might have in your muselces and can bruise and make you tender for a day or so after.

Basically I'd have one if you can but don't do it the day before a long run and make sure if you have one it's nowish instead of just a couple of day's before the race. They can make a difference but so can a good chill out in the bath and stretching. Also remember if you have one declare all health problems or history of injures before they get started on you. They can hurt but it's a good pain. I've got a few mates through festival work who do it for a living so if you don't know where to go I might be able to point you towards folks on sheffield.

Kirsty I've used weist bands in the past and useful but I'd treat then as a suppleiment same as a garmin and not blindly follow it. Your going to know how your boby can cope better than a generic guide so if you already have a race plan adapt it around your plan.

26/03/2014 at 13:13

Cake - I've been before to a chap at Birley Chiropractic at Hackenthorpe and he was good.  He does general 'sports massages' but I haven't been able to find one who is, or specializes or understands, runners. If you know of anyone feel free to share with me, cheers

Cake    pirate
26/03/2014 at 13:22

I very good mate of mine called katie might be off use but I'm not sure if she's in sheffield next few weeks I'll text her in a bit and see if she can help.

She is a good mate but so are a few people know and would say they will be just as good as the bloke your already seeing. Katie's special both for deep tissue stuff and also in general.

26/03/2014 at 17:56

Thanks for all the advice guys on the metro. My last experience of the trams outside Old Trafford was a painful one - it was last summer after the first day of the Ashes Test. 

There had been some disruption on the line and the trams back into the city stopped running. No communication at all with thousands trying to get on the station platform.

I ended up jogging back to Piccy along Mancunian Way with a bellyful of beer inside me. And England were shocking that day as well.

26/03/2014 at 19:01
I'm looking at following the 4:15 pacer and hoping I can hold on in the last six miles, or only drop off a bit, to come in anytime sub 4:26, which is my current PB. I'm hoping this should be do-able, (although somedays I think I must be mad and that I'll be lucky to finish!) but who knows what will happen after twenty miles or so. Hopefully by following the pacer it will stop me going off too fast which I've done previously and then crashed....

Did a quick (well quick for me) 4 miles before work this morning, at around my 10k pace of 8min / mile which made me think a) how do people run that quick ( and quicker) for 26.2 miles - you all have my admiration that's for sure, and b) why don't I just run 10k's instead of this madness that is the marathon!!!
26/03/2014 at 20:33

up the boro - I had exactly the same thought today whilst doing my 5k paced 3x1.6k intervals. i ran them at 4.15min/km pace which happens to be my lifelong running goal to get a sub 3 marathon. how anyone can hold that for 3 hours ill never know!  Saying that this time last year i was training for my first sub 50 10k attempt at Manchester and a year on im planning on holding that pace for over 4 times the distance 

26/03/2014 at 21:35

AM - that's a pretty impressive goal. Anyone who can run a sub-3 marathon is pretty serious !

I took advantage of a beautiful spring evening and did a 10 km loop just running at a pace I felt challenging but comfortable without really checking the Garmin. I came in at 48 mins, or just under 8 mins/ mile which surprised me a little.

27/03/2014 at 07:25

Redjeep - its a lifelong goal, doesnt mean I'll ever get close to it  We can all dream though. Who knows what the next 5-10 years will bring. 

27/03/2014 at 07:26

PS, 10 Days!!! Argh!!! 

27/03/2014 at 08:16

Bring it on !!

27/03/2014 at 08:18

Aaaah - I went to my running club's club run last night and my buddy had got me a marathon present! It's a bag of Jelly Babies and a 4hr pacing wristband! I love running buddies - they understand...

So that's my time decision made - will aim to follow the 4hr pacer and keep an eye on my wristband but if it feels like it's too fast or unsustainable, I'll drop back on the pace. Main goal is to finish and walk less in the final 6 miles rather than go all out for the elusive sub 4, and to enjoy my home marathon (I know Bournemouth now has its own marathon and I've lived here for 10 years now but Manchester is always home). Finishing in any time under 4.15 is a bonus.

PS - who said ten days to go - shush that man! I'm in denial about how near it is and you're not helping

27/03/2014 at 09:02

Sorry Kirsty- Does 240 hours sound better?

27/03/2014 at 09:04

OMG! I'm off to hide behind my sofa and rock gently...

27/03/2014 at 11:24

It's weird how you get random aches during taper.  Had them last year and the night before the marathon, my legs went into a weird spasm and my missus had to give me a full sports massage to sort it out for the next day.  Started again this year, just an odd pain yesterday in a part of the leg that i've never had pain before.  Seems fine again today.

Just goes to show much much of a re-adjustment your body goes through after 18 weeks of hard marathon training.

27/03/2014 at 12:26

SB et al - have a look at this, you may be familiar with some, or all, aspects of this !   http://www.runnersworld.com/race-training/taper-traps?page=single

Cake    pirate
27/03/2014 at 12:29

Are we nearly there yet?

Carter just about to message you a phone number, I'm not sure if the message me thing is working this month so if it doesn't I'm work something out. Would rather not give out a phone number on a open site there are nutter's out there and all that.

27/03/2014 at 12:47

Hey, who are you calling a nutter ??!! I got your message and have replied cheers mate

27/03/2014 at 12:48

I added you on Farcebook ages ago so you can always post the details to me there if that's easier

Cake    pirate
27/03/2014 at 13:01

Did you sorry mate I dont use farsebook enough to remember whose on there.  

1,381 to 1,400 of 1,862 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.