Greater Manchester Marathon - UK's Flattest Marathon 2014

Whos in - whats your goal

1,821 to 1,828 of 1,828 messages
Cake    pirate
16/04/2014 at 17:51

Tish if any help I used to be fastish back in the sands of time. But after a while it was just to much of my week to do 80/90 miles a week each week so set myself different goals. Sometimes I wish I could mix it up but not often, Not just look at endurance racing and being a old fatty much about at other races.

I would take a break and think about what goal you want could be shorter distances could be endurance stuff. It's all equally valid and keeps us sane/insane depending on your point of view. ((((((((((hugs))))))))

SKD fell racing is the path to the dark side which one you thinking?

16/04/2014 at 18:58

Hi Carter & Cake, it would be an easy one the Rivington Pike race 3.2 miles 700 ft of ascent, weather looks good, quite dry conditions. I am from Horwich and my brother lives on the route and I'll be there this Saturday, no match at the Reebok, so no excuse. Oh and I said on many occasions that I've never do something so stupid,looking on Youtube seems I'll be in good company, l need to start doing some hills as my autumn aim is SNOD. I was brought up near the Pennines so I'm well used to hill walking.

17/04/2014 at 11:07

skd - I fancied the Rivi race this year but have ended up booking a long weekend down in London so wont be around for it.

I am looking into the Rivington trail half mara in October though.  That would be a good run out.

17/04/2014 at 11:11

Cater - no i havent run Chester, Manchester was my first.  Its one i looked into though if i was going to do another marathon this year (which i'm not now).

I'm doing the half next month but that will be it for Chester

Cake    pirate
17/04/2014 at 12:44

Skd nice one If you deside you like it and get into a little dirty fell action just remember gravity is your friend on the down hill's and try not to snack yourself on a rock.

17/04/2014 at 13:05

SKD - make sure you get some suitable trotters for the fell race, some with plenty of grip to slow yourself down when you get steaming down those hills and as Cake says to avoid rocks, tree roots, other runners, dogs etc !

Cake - I've just entered the Long Tour of Bradwell in August and I'm also thinking about the Intro Ultra Tour of the Peak District (Whirlow) in June. Both 50km with a few thousand feet of elevation. Do you fancy any of them ?

AM - best of luck at the Chester half, are you chasing a PB ? 

Cake    pirate
17/04/2014 at 13:32

At the moment I’m still eyeing up a Ironman in august but the way it’s going I might not be able to get enough bike time in to play if I can’t I’d be very up for ever of those. If I end up doing the ironman I can just sit on the grass and heckle you instead.

If your interested there is Eyam Half coming up next month as well it’s on road but nice and hilly.  

17/04/2014 at 13:37

Carter - Yeah ill be gunning for a PB.  Currently at 1:41:06 but would like to do a 1:38 with the marathon training behind me.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
1,821 to 1,828 of 1,828 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.