Halstead & Essex Marathon

201 to 220 of 346 messages
29/04/2010 at 07:59

WHAT'S THE CONSEQUENCE FOR WEARING AN MP3 PLAYER, OR IS IT JUST ADVISIBLE NOT TO WEAR ONE.?

29/04/2010 at 08:04
If the marshalls are being strict then you could be disqualified.  
29/04/2010 at 08:19
I've left my ipod at home for my last couple of long runs actually found i quite enjoyed it .and it was easier to keep an even pace without the drum and base oh and tracey i think i must be more than a bit sad i keep all my race numbers
29/04/2010 at 08:39
Ruzz - you are not sad. We have enough stuff in our house with out adding race numbers too.
29/04/2010 at 08:48
I am another 'saddo'. I have all my marathon race numbers except the one I wore the day I got my p.b. That would be a collector's item now as it was so long ago. I think it was on papyrus paper!!!!  I also lack numbers from a couple of French races I did. Despite endless pleading in my best French the folk across the Channel just wouldn't let me keep the numbers they said they needed  to verify results. I was distraught watching them spike the numbers. Maybe now that chip timing has been discovered the French are a bit more tolerant in letting you keep your race number? But the Halstead numbers are a bit special, designed to retain as a memento of a(hopefully) special day.
29/04/2010 at 09:07
Tracey G wrote (see)
adrian - no MP3 is something we all have to get use to in races from now on.

But why...?     Unquestioning acceptance of bad ideas is a bad idea (!)

I'm not aware that deaf people are banned from entering races in which mp3 players are banned so where's the logic?

Or what about people who aren't fully deaf but are very hard of hearing?  I can tell you for a fact that I can hear far more of what's going on around me whilst wearing an MP3 player at low volume, than some folk I know (including runners) are able to hear naturally.

It may not be the organisers fault (I don't know whether it's an insurance requirement).  Either way it's unnecessary nannying of grown adults. 

29/04/2010 at 11:17

Got my number yesterday love that fact is has my name on it.

Don't think it is sad keeping race numbers, I have all of mine. Friend of mine has them all as well. However, they are sad. They keep them in plastic wallets with a piece of paper with all the details (date, time, weather condition, how it went, etc) filed in date order.

Adrian - MP3 players are banned for a couple of reasons. Firstly, health and safety so you can hear marshalls, traffic (especially we the roads are not closed), other runners (had to push past people in the past because they can not hear me asking to be let through), get yourself or others tangled in the cables, etc.

Secondly, some people use them for pacing and have a click track or music at a set BPM and some consider this as cheating (a UKA rep told me this).

I ran Brighton a couple of weeks ago and this had an MP3 ban. Loads of people still wearing them and not aware of anyone being disqualified. Maybe health and safety overload. However, rules are rules so if you choice to wear one and get disqualified you can't really complain.

Edited: 29/04/2010 at 11:21
JG2
29/04/2010 at 13:46
Just in case it's not already been put up, the Kings Head pub at Pebmarsh between mile 4 and 5 is closed, and is very unlikely to be open on the day of the race.  Anyone hopeing to eat or drink there would be best advised to make other arrangements.
29/04/2010 at 14:26
JG2 - so the BIG support aread is now gone
29/04/2010 at 14:41
I wonder if there's much hope of a coolish day.   May can be a scorcher usually, but the long-range weather forecast is encouragingly bad just now.   Long range weather forecasts ain't that reliable tho', although a forecast of poor weather is possibly more reliable than a forecast heatwave....
29/04/2010 at 14:53
T-G spectators could still gather there, they just won't be half cut, unless they bring their own.
29/04/2010 at 15:00

Now there's an idea Jelly Bean. Why don't the spectators gather outside the pub and, if it's a half decent day, they could have a barbecue and a few crates of ale. I know it wouldn't be everyone's choice of "water station" but a few of us , I'm sure, wouldn't say no to a few sips of beer. Halstead to become England's answer to the Medoc Marathon? 

29/04/2010 at 15:55
Peter - would drink ale make you run faster
29/04/2010 at 16:58
Tracey - It couldn't make me go any slower!  I ran the Maas Marathon a few years ago - Meuse if you prefer French to Flemish. That starts at Vise in Belgium, goes up one bank of the river, over the border into Holland, round Maastricht and down the other river bank back to the start point. In addition to water you can have a small glass of Belgian beer every 5 Km. You can have your number stamped to confirm that you have imbibed each time you have a drink.  I managed to hold out till the 40Km mark before succumbing to a small tipple. Belgian beer is not not to be taken lightly.  A mate of similar ability to myself, who shall remain nameless, had his number obliterated by stamps when he came over the line- 20 minutes before me!!! So I do wonder whether beer's stimulating effect can sometimes outweigh its harmfulness to the runner. I haven't yet put it to the test. But one of these days........................!
29/04/2010 at 18:14
Guess its Adnams up there?
Now, if it was Harveys.....
29/04/2010 at 18:41
Peter - I could put some thing instead of water in my camelbak
29/04/2010 at 20:31

Anyone else still waiting for their number?

29/04/2010 at 22:26

Theresa Punch

James has probably hidden your number for fear you'll finish quicker than him. Has he got his number?

30/04/2010 at 08:36

Alas Pete his been away on business all week so I can't blame him.  No he's not received his number either.

See if it comes today/tomorrow if not will be contacting the Race Director.

30/04/2010 at 08:54

Has anyone who ran Brighton done Halstead in the past?  If so, how would you compare the courses in terms of hills?

thanks

201 to 220 of 346 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.