Halstead & Essex Marathon

261 to 280 of 346 messages
04/05/2010 at 12:41
Is it very hilly?
04/05/2010 at 12:55

Really looking forward to this and to hopefully meeting some you .

04/05/2010 at 13:04
I'd say the course was like a rollercoaster, Flynn could give a better mile by mile breakdown on Halstead, where are you Flynn?!
I much prefer this type of undulating run than the flatness of London.
There are two (hills) I remember, one at about 3 miles and one about 16 (someone correct me if I've got that wrong) but they are over and done before you have time to think about them.
It's such a lovely course, running on country lanes, through villages, fantastic marshals, great supporters. You can even put your own prefered brand of sports drink out at the water stations!

Can't wait for Sunday!

04/05/2010 at 13:10
Thanks Stet.  Maybe see you there - I've got to talk my husband into letting me do it first!
04/05/2010 at 14:41

Hellooo,

Anyone interested in a practically brand new pair of black Adidas running shorts (male, medium size)?They're cut in at the sides and I think they're just a bit too semi-pro for my style of running.   Will just put them on e-bay if need be.  Felt self conscious when my wife was a bit lost for words! Have now bought a less flash pair and am now ready for Sunday!

Good luck everyone.

04/05/2010 at 14:50

Im up for this, I ran the Shakespeare Marathon last weekend and found it realy tough in the heat.

There are a few of my club mates running this so i thought it would be great to come along and give it a go

04/05/2010 at 15:05

this probably sounds odd coming from me, but WCD, if you raced london then you might find another marathon so soon is surprisingl;y tiring

you MIGHT do a better time, but be prepared to alter plans on the day and adjust time expectations

I know lots of us do weekly marathons, but it did take me a while to get used  to it

04/05/2010 at 15:26
Hippo - you did get me a faster time than London last year.  Hubby is moan the weather is not going to be warm enough to support me.
04/05/2010 at 15:30
we dont like warm
04/05/2010 at 16:32

Hello you two

I might be forced to come to support.

xx

04/05/2010 at 16:36
Snaps - I thought you was going to run it then. I got all excited, but supporting is good, we like supporters.
04/05/2010 at 18:51

snappy

05/05/2010 at 09:31

Plodding Hippo - hello and thanks for the advice.   I probably won't do any better time though I'd hardly say I 'raced' London, I should have been doing 8.35 miles (as I had been doing in training) but my splits were all over the place - partly due to the congestion and partly because of the massive blisters I had which came on from the third mile.  I was happy with my time of 4.05.48 initially but those 6 minutes are bugging me (I had really wanted to just get inside 4 hours) and other more experienced runners than me have said I should take advantage of being marathon fit.  I realise it's probably madness to do 2 marathons in a fortnight particularly when I'm not used to it but Halstead is literally 10 minutes drive from me so if I got going and decided I couldn't finish it's not such a big deal in terms of getting home etc. 

My husband has booked us an all inclusive hol to Turkey for end of May and I expect after a week of eating, drinking and doing not much else I won't be particularly fit and also I'm useless at running in the heat so I don't want to wait until later in the year to have another crack at it.    Isn't it just like when one week in training I did 22 miles and the next week I did 23 with lots of miles in between which obviously there hasn't been since London?  What do you think?

05/05/2010 at 09:50
If you feel recovered, WCD, do it. 2 other points: you won't be bothered by crowds here! Secondly, how did you get blisters after 3 miles? - something wrong there that needs to be fixed otherwise the same thing will happen again.
05/05/2010 at 10:18

SBF - not sure about the blisters, something I didn't suffer with in training even up to 23 miles.  The only think I can think of is that my feet were soaking wet before the run started because of the downpour.  I could feel that I was getting sore little toes from about the third mile but fortunately I didn't take my shoes off until about an hour and half after the finish - if I had I'd have thought my toe was gangrenous and about to drop off - it was completely black with a blood blister which made my little toe 3 times its normal size!

I feel absolutely fine in myself - perhaps a little sluggish with having done nothing at all last week but a few runs this week would freshen me up.  I was aware of my quads whilst running yesterday that's all.  I know it's not a crowded run so that should help - I just don't want to waste all that fitness and have to start again from scratch next time I decide to do a marathon and I definitely think there will be a next time.  I got up at 4 yesterday to enter the ballot for London next year!

05/05/2010 at 12:52
Better start my taper  after a season best 5k on Saturday and a 10k PB at Breckland on Monday, followed by track intervals last night
05/05/2010 at 21:09

At the risk of being shot down in pieces, I'm far from convinced about the benefits of tapering or carb loading.

Perhaps it's just one of those things that works for some people & not for others but it definitely doesn't seem to work for me.

05/05/2010 at 21:39
I suppose it depends how good your body is at storing glycogen?
Edited: 05/05/2010 at 21:39
05/05/2010 at 21:44

WCD I'm with you, am thinking that with all this fitness - my last long run being 26.2 in London! - that another marathon would be nice to do.  It's not that far from me either (I live in Chelmsford) and I think it'll be interesting to do a different marathon without all the razmataz & congestion etc. that you get in London.  My legs feel fine, I feel slightly sluggish too but am hoping I can shake that off with adrenaline!  And if I dont get a pb, or even decide to call it a day after 13m then it's still a pleasant run in the country & will give me a feel of going for it next year.

Lets do it! 

05/05/2010 at 22:35

That fighting talk Elizabeth & WCD.

We are going for it. Shit or bust.

261 to 280 of 346 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.