Halstead & Essex Marathon

321 to 340 of 346 messages
09/05/2010 at 17:09
Great race in near perfect conditions, thanks very much Halstead Road Runners..

09/05/2010 at 17:21

I absolutely LOVED this!

Did a PB of 3:24:19 (previous best was 3:44:40 at Brighton) so am bouncing off the walls just now.

Personally I found the undulations much easier to deal with than Brighton, there were more of them & a few were steeper but none of them lasted very long.

Will do a review of the race in more detail, now of to get gloriously drunk.

I was the stocky-ish runner with a shaved head wearing a light blue Harlow top if anyone happened to be near me.

09/05/2010 at 17:23

absolutely loved this race met some great people ,the organisers deserve a massive pat on the back in all departments,and i knocked about 11 Min's off my Pb 

was about 3mins behind you adrian you past me on the long hill about22/23mls

Edited: 09/05/2010 at 17:25
09/05/2010 at 18:30
What a great day. Hadn't trained well so had no expectations, apart from FINISH. Cramped up after 16 miles but could run about 60 paces followed by a walk of about 120 paces. Hope I didn't get in anyone's way on that last 10 miles. All that, and I finished only 4 mins outside my PB. Better training and I'm sure I can beat 4 hours

Organisation and marshals superb, weather much better than 2008, thanks HRR

And Chelski just tonked Wigan 8-0 to win the Prem. Tired, emotional and liver working hard again.
09/05/2010 at 18:46
adrian - was it you I shouted the time to in the later stages of your race?
09/05/2010 at 18:50
Well I went into Halstead wanting a totally different experience from the 2 London marathons I've done - and I absolutely loved it! Scenery, organisation, marshalls, people in general, all fantastic; I also had no ipod (banned) and no garmin (flat!) so it really was a different day out for me! Thoroughly enjoyed every minute, even the hills which helped iron out a slight injury by not constantly plodding on flat surface - despite being happy to walk at the drinks stations I knocked an incredible 16 mins off London coming in at 4.24.10 (ish) - to say I'm over the moon is an understatement!!

Thanks to you guys on here for talking me into it, I'm so glad I listened to you & went for it - just sorry I didn't get to meet anyone here (as spent my time wisely staying warm in the changing rooms!)  I did meet lots of other lovely people though

Liz

p.s the grassy hill at 25.5m was taking it a bit too far tho ....
09/05/2010 at 18:57
Congratulations Elizabeth
09/05/2010 at 18:58

Unofficial PB of about five minutes and a -ve split

Crackin' course, loved it.

No cramps, even better.

Fantastic day out, London v Halstead - no contest.  Halstead wins easily.

09/05/2010 at 19:10
Elizabeth, you passed me on the last few yards as I cramped up on the run in! I finished in 4:24:15 (ish)

Glad you enjoyed it
09/05/2010 at 20:20

Thanks  once again to Kingdora for driving to the rescue of the London public transporteers after a bout of frantic texting this morning.

Superbly organised as ever, fantastic support, weather not too hot  and great to meet some new people . PBs or something similar all round.

I would also agree that the grassy knoll  at mile 25 is evil so could you please arrange for it to be flattened next year Halstead people.

09/05/2010 at 21:23

Thanks to everyone for a great race. Organisation and support fantastic!!!

Unfortunately, my hamstring started hurting after 16 miles and too many hills. Had to walk up most of them. Finished in 4:18 - 3 minutes faster than London last year. ( I know I should be really pleased, but still managed to miss my good-for-age time by 3 minutes.)

09/05/2010 at 22:20

Well done all you Halstead runners, great day for me too, got my goal of a FGFA time for next years London. Happy with that!

Met some top people too, the massage at the end was just what I needed, I'm not walking backwards down stairs at the mo!

See you next year Halstead road runners, fantastic event as always!

10/05/2010 at 08:07
Tracey G wrote (see)
adrian - was it you I shouted the time to in the later stages of your race?

I'm not actually sure, I was a bit oblivious by the end!   Myself & another Harlow runner finished almost together, he was the tall one, I was the stocky one!

Sore today!

10/05/2010 at 08:15

What a brilliant marathon - so different from London, felt a lot more relaxed and the route was beautiful. Really well organised too! Was great to meet you Liz - well done on your time! Can't believe I PB'd too finishing in 4.07 Happy Days! Legs quite (actually Very) sore today, am def. not as chipper as I was after VLM but the pain was worth it . Ooooo that grassy hill at the end tho - brought tears to my eyes!

This is one for my calendar next year that's for sure!

10/05/2010 at 08:54

Well HRR did it again. They have set a high standard but still seem capable of producing something even better than the previous year. This year''s goodie bag was superb. I prefer the sunshine to yesterday's cool weather but I guess I'm out on my own on that one - and it's not something over which HRR has much control.

Thanks to the marshalls and water station operatives for your efficiency and cheery encouragement. Special thanks to my own clubmates from Witham Running CLub who manned the 6/18 mile stop. I understand one or two runners benefited from their picnic goodies. I'm not sure whether a sausage roll got them round faster but I'm sure that those who did have one enjoyed it!

I dipped in under 5 hours so did as well as I expected. It's a pity there was no happy ending to a perfect day but well done Chelsea. The Reds  will be back again next year.... as I will be back at Halstead D.V.

10/05/2010 at 09:48

I'm gutted.    Especially now I've read all your comments about how great this race was and the PBs etc.  Couldn't make it in the end, too many family members up for the weekend and wanting to go to the pub Saturday night (VE Day celebrations) and country show Sunday.  We had a lovely weekend, I got royally drunk Saturday night - first proper drink since Christmas so it didn't take a lot - and a very relaxing day at the country show oh but how I wished I'd be able to do Halstead.  Will definitely sign up for next year even if I do do London or Brighton (both on the same day) first.

Well done to all of you who ran.

10/05/2010 at 09:58

Hello -  I was at Fetchpoint at the 4 mile marker. Here are my photos, feel free to download if I happen to have got a photo of you.

http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/JonandVicky/HalsteadMarathon2010#

10/05/2010 at 10:32

Ah brilliant - thanks VicnVin!

10/05/2010 at 11:52

What a great race def back next year. Thanks to everyone involved in making this such a top event, unfortunately I did not get to meet as many of you as I had liked but the ones I did were all top people! .

Bring on 2011!

10/05/2010 at 12:22

Was there a race photographer?

321 to 340 of 346 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.