#Handsoverhearts at London Marathon

21 to 33 of 33 messages
18/04/2013 at 12:04
Wilkie wrote (see)

Why do people try to get folk to all do something?  There was some other poster wanting people to all wear a race medal to work next Monday!

Do they want to feel they've influenced events or something?

I feel that the black ribbons, and a 30 second silence are enough.

Couldn't agree more. I'm a bit suspicious of organised grief - partly because I don't like it, partly because all this hysteria plays into the hands of terrorists, giving them more publicity than they deserve. I'll observe the silence and wear the ribbon. It's enough.

18/04/2013 at 12:45

"Organised grief" - good phrase and only a few degrees away from "professional mourners" IMO. 

18/04/2013 at 12:56

The other thing that crossed my mind in this, is do they still take photos at the finish - I haven't run the race since 1998 - but surely the official photographer is not going to be to happy with people covering up their numbers.

On FB I am being encouraged to wear a race t shirt for the day to show my solidarity - not sure what it will achieve - (or how my boss will react to me sitting all day in an old Southend 10K T Shirt.

What happened in Boston was a terrible event. But to me, the fact that the organisers of London did not consider cancelling the event and the fact that 35,000 people will show up on the day to run, watched by 100,000s of supporters and spectators,  shows whoever, or whichever organisation was responsible that they can never win.

But as others have said - it is down to the individuals themselves how they choose to deal withany personal grief. If nothing else the 30 seconds silence will shut Brendan Foster up briefly.

18/04/2013 at 13:02
Grendel3 wrote (see)

The other thing that crossed my mind in this, is do they still take photos at the finish - I haven't run the race since 1998 - but surely the official photographer is not going to be to happy with people covering up their numbers.

That is a seriously good point Grendal. More importantly it means people won't get a finish line photo either! 

18/04/2013 at 13:06
I'm always happy not to get a finish line photo.. I generally look like I have been blown up.
18/04/2013 at 13:09

I look more like I have been blowtorched 

WiB
18/04/2013 at 13:21
Peter Collins wrote (see)
Wilkie wrote (see)

Why do people try to get folk to all do something?  There was some other poster wanting people to all wear a race medal to work next Monday!

Do they want to feel they've influenced events or something?

I feel that the black ribbons, and a 30 second silence are enough.

Couldn't agree more. I'm a bit suspicious of organised grief - partly because I don't like it, partly because all this hysteria plays into the hands of terrorists, giving them more publicity than they deserve. I'll observe the silence and wear the ribbon. It's enough.

Agree with both Wilkie and Peter.

WiB
18/04/2013 at 13:30

There's a real response from core poster's here and that's fine because you guys are what help's new runners learn the ropes but from the outside.  I'm just reading this thread for the first time in ages it seems like you're giving Lucy a hard time for something which is coming from a good place - up to and including a veiled challenge to her "running credentials". 

I for one ran Brighton on Sunday and was disgusted by Boston which happened so suddenly afterwards - at that point I felt a massive feeling of solidarity with those guys and mainly because our community is above this sort of c**p.  As runners (even those who don't use runner's world forums every day) we love what we do and enjoy the company of others who love what we do. There's truth that we have at time some over the top emotional responses in modern society but this is coming from a good place and sincerely its the same type of emotional response which helps raise millions for charity each year.

Lucy - stick with it.  For personal reasons some may identify with your efforts and some won't but all you can do is ask.

18/04/2013 at 13:43

To be fair, no-one said it wasn't coming from a good place J-A-R. The value and practicality of the gesture has been questioned, that's all.

18/04/2013 at 13:59

Agree with Wilkie and Peter too.

30 people were killed by car bombs in Iraq on Monday but it has hardly even registered on the news. Terrorist bombings are tragic wherver they happen. It baffles me why people only care when it happens in the West?

"all men are created equal but some are more equal than other" - George Orwell

WiB
18/04/2013 at 14:08

JAR - I have nothing against what Lucy is trying to achieve, but (to steal Peter's phrase) I don't really liked organised grief or the need for people to have to do something in response to it.

I am certainly not trying to pursuade anyone not to do it if that is what they feel they need to do for whatever reason, I was simply agreeing with other posts on the matter.

The 2 posts I quoted sum it up well, in my opinion.

As chunkymunky says, we have a lot of incidents throughout the world such as car bombings that dont even make the news, certainly not front page anyway, but I don't feel the need to perform an acknowledging act everytime I park.

WiB
16/05/2013 at 01:24

Did this happen?

16/05/2013 at 08:10

Watching the coverage I did see a few people do it - very few though. 

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 33 of 33 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.