Hastings 100th Anniversary Marathon

21 to 40 of 3,295 messages
06/01/2008 at 20:48
I've only seen the original announcement in the local paper - starting at the old town hall and going up near the centre of town rather than back along to Harley Shute. It's supposed to follow the original route quite closely - which would mean about 80 years before the Queensway was built I guess?
06/01/2008 at 20:56

Yes, I suppose you're right.  And am I right in assuming you are a Hastings resident, as you refer to your local paper, or is that me barking up the wrong tree? 

Any news of when the registration will begin?

06/01/2008 at 20:56
ooooooooooooh!
06/01/2008 at 21:19
Afraid I'm not from Hastings, but mum and dad are near there and I get to run when visiting the family... I'm in Portsmouth, but I've run quite a few Hastings Half's over the years.
21/01/2008 at 21:00
Boing so this doesn't get forgotten

Hope you are all doing the 1/2 too in a few weeks.
21/01/2008 at 21:11
Yes indeed Susie, and apparently, entry for this Anniversary Marathon will probably take place after the Hilly Hastings Half has been staged.   See you there.  Is Mike running - ??!!
22/01/2008 at 18:37
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! That would be a "NO!" to your question Pete.
22/01/2008 at 19:45

Mr Finknottle - insider information

Redhead - PSC and I will definitely be there for the half, its become quite a tradition, hopefully Jnr will out on the course with his new camera - will be good to meet again. 

22/01/2008 at 20:45
Hi Bo-bo, look forward to seeing you both. Please ask junior to watch out for me as he takes the best race photos!
22/01/2008 at 22:24
It's quite simple really, bo-bo.  I just emailed Eric Hardwick about one aspect of the race and about purchasing some souvenirs at the half marathon event, and I got all this info.  Eric has been inundated with inquiries about the Anniversary Marathon, and is already organising the 2009, yes 2009 Hilly Hastings Half, to be staged on Sunday, 15th March 2009.  More insider info for you.  
10/03/2008 at 15:18
For those interested in the proposed route here is the information I was given when asked back in August of last year!

Starting outside Hastings Town Hall, at least round the ‘Ground’ Havelock Road, Devonshire Rd., South Terrace,once. Then into Queens Road, St. Helens Road, turn right into Parkstone Rd., Hillside Rd., to The Ridge. Along to Beauport Park Roundabout, Follow Battle Road into and through Battle, turn left into North Trade Rd., Left into b.2204 through Catsfield to Ninfield Junction. Left to Sidley. Through Sidley and past Bexhill Hospital, under Tunnel ,turn right, and follow to Bexhill Town Hall Square,Terminus Road into Terminus Avenue, Richmond Rd., to Bexhill Promenarde.
Then along Promenarde and seafront to Hastings, through underpass to Town Centre and Town Hall Finish.

There are some ups and downs but nothing too bad. The climb out of Hastings via this route is probably easier than Queensway (for the half) but I may just be hoping for this! The part through Battle should be nice then it is a long, long slog through Catsfield (long stretch of rural roads) and Sidley (back in to built up areas but this is probably the 20 mile mark).

Cheers, Mike
Edited: 10/03/2008 at 15:20
10/03/2008 at 15:39
Will be there at the Hilly Half as a spectator for once... been waiting for some time for an operation to fit a replacement pacemaker, and it came through two weeks ago... I'm recovering, and would still run, but under threats of violence from various family and club members if I attempt to put my running shoes on!

Will watch out for you all and be cheering at the sidelines - still be on for the marathon, and as for the Half in 2009, try and stop me!

Russ
Alan W    pirate
21/03/2008 at 12:16
I've just seen that entries for this will be open from 12:30pm Next Friday (28th).  www.sportsystems.net/hastingsmarathon/
21/03/2008 at 15:52
I went over to watch on Sunday, and took a drive round the full marathon course... for information, once you get out of the centre of town it's a seriously long drag along St. Helens Road, Parkstone Rd, Hillside Rd, and up to The Ridge just to the south east of the Conquest Hospital roundabout. I guess it is always going to be a big climb no matter which route you go up, as the elevation difference between the Ridge and sea level has got to be overcome somehow!

I'd say the course out to Catsfield and Battle, then back through Sidley to Bexhill, is undulating, and could be quite exposed in the winter weather - they do get snow in this part of the country. Once you hit Bexhill it's flat along the prom with just Galley Hill left to contend with. I'm assuming we'll turn under the railway arch and along the main road/pavement, rather than taking the beach footpath (shingle/dirt) - at least I hope so!
24/03/2008 at 10:42
Should be challenging in any case, and thanks for the weather warning Russ.  I guess that hgher ground will be exposed to more severe weather, especially in these days of climate change.  I hope to enter the event, nonetheless. 
24/03/2008 at 14:49
I'd say the course out to Catsfield and Battle, then back through Sidley to Bexhill, is undulating, and could be quite exposed in the winter weather

undulating may be an understatement at this stage of the race - I bike those roads a fair bit and the bit between Catsfield and Ninfield will make you work a fair bit but thankfully it's only about 3 miles

is going to be fun closing them roads as well as alternative routes are not easy
Iron Tractor Boy    pirate
28/03/2008 at 12:39
Just signed up for this race. Was planning to do their half but thought I might as well do this race.
28/03/2008 at 12:43
I've entered!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Now need to start some hill work!
28/03/2008 at 12:50
myself and OH (Pit Stop Crew) will see you there!
28/03/2008 at 12:54
hmm shall I ?
21 to 40 of 3,295 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.