Hastings 100th Anniversary Marathon

81 to 100 of 3,295 messages
29/03/2008 at 21:00
Oh, and Telham as well, wherever that is!!
29/03/2008 at 22:14
Thanks Mr F
29/03/2008 at 22:47
Hi all. Well with my leg in an air cast and only a couple of weeks before my first ever marathon, the FLM, I'm not exactly expecting to set the world on fire with my finishing time. Unfortunately I overtrained and gave myself a shin stress fracture and ankle ligament problems, but I'm so determined to get round that course by either jogging, run/walking, or crawling. All I can say is I'm looking for another marathon a long way off from now, where I can actually run it and enjoy myself! This run seems a good one. Is it worthy of a first proper running marathon?
29/03/2008 at 22:49

I'm in and looking forward to this one (see my post on page 2 for details of the route that was provided to me some time ago by Eric). Wonder what they are going to do about road closures for this - not even sure if they will be able to close many as it is just two weeks form Christmas. Can you imagine the fuss the big retailers will make if it hinders the stampede to the shops!

Another vote from me for the horse brass as well - really like the ones I have from the Half and am looking forward to another. Should have enough to decorate the old nag soon.

This will be a stange one for training as you typically come off from summer with 10k's etc., and don't really get going for a Marathon until past Christmas. Looks like we all need to take it easy on the build up to Christmas this year! I can image the sob story's now at the office Christmas do's passing on that extra pint!

Right, just hoping for a nice crisp, sunny day with no wind now - where's that long range forecast!

Good luck all,

Mike

30/03/2008 at 12:25

Hi Muttley,  yes I think the event is particularly worthy of a proper running marathon, given the uniqueness of the event, as it will never be staged again.  Sorry to hear of your injuries, please do be careful if you do make it to the FLM start.  Just get yourself round, and in so doing you will set yourself a new PB for this distance, which you can then beat at Hastings.

Make sure you sign up now, as places are going fast, I understand.

30/03/2008 at 12:28

Another horse brass for this unique event?  Hmm, would prefer a ribboned medal or glass memento I think.  Leave the brasses for the Hilly Hastings Half, IMHO, the memento for this marathon needs to be quite distinct.    

Was there a memento for the 1908 race?  If so, then how about something based around that?

Edited: 30/03/2008 at 12:31
30/03/2008 at 12:29
I agree, this is a unique event and deserves a decent medal, especially with a steep entry fee.
30/03/2008 at 12:49
Have emailed Eric Hardwick about the memento, so hope to hear from him in due course.
30/03/2008 at 16:15
I don't want a glass memento thank you very much! Give me a medal any time.
30/03/2008 at 19:09

I must agree something that is based on the 1908 race would be great. 

To be honest it;'s nice to get medals but what do you end up doing with them?  Mine seem to sit in a draw gathering dust,  where as a glass memento (recieved one after finishing the Picnic) was outstanding.

30/03/2008 at 19:39
CWPants, mine are hanging in my office at home (my medals, not my pants!) and whenever I feel like a fat middle-aged woman I look at them and smile

I've got 2 shot glasses from the Steyning Stinger marathon for the past 2 years and they gave exactly the same thing to people who just did the 1/2 so I felt a bit cheated. Now a nice big medal would have really meant something.

WOW, if you've done the Picnic then I hope you display your glass memento with pride!

It must be very difficult for race organisers to please everyone as we all seem to like different things. I suppose if I'm honest I just want something other than a tee shirt to show what I've achieved - 35 miles at the Draycote ultra and you got a tee shirt!!!!!! Or perhaps a medal and a tee shirt would have pleased me.

30/03/2008 at 20:27

Yo Red...

Don't get me wrong... I like Medals, but for a 100th Aniversary then maybe something special.  After all the price kind of dictatates that it's got to be something good (fingers crossed I am hoping)

And I too have TWO shot glasses,  I only use them on special occasions because as far as I am concerned I really erned them (as you did I know). 

My Glass memento is in my prize possesion... It's a shame they only do it every 2 years!

If it is a medal, or a horse brass or even a Glass then so be it.  Just be nice to have something different as this is going to be a one off event.

Of course being giving nothing except a certifacate would be a compleate letdown as on one 26 miler that happend .

30/03/2008 at 21:17

Hi all.  Have received a reply from Eric Hardwick, the Race Director.  He states that, although it hasn't been decided yet, he is still leaning towards a special brass, and that he does have details of the original medals handed out at the 1908 race.  Apparently, he has spoken to many runners and has got a consensus that "medals can be a bit common, whereas the Hastings brasses are great!" 

At Arundel last year, runners get a gorgeous perspex hologram oblong paperweight, depicting a male and female runner running alongside each other.  At least, that was what was awarded at last year's Arundel Castle 10k.  It came complete in a luxurious blue presentation box.  How generous.

We will know in due course what the memento will be for the marathon, so I think we may as well close this chapter for now.  All agreed, or any other comments?

Erm ................ what is 'the Picnic'?  

30/03/2008 at 21:27
Those paperweights are cheap, perhaps Eric should canvass opinion on here.
30/03/2008 at 21:30
Pete, the 'Picnic' is a race that neither of us will ever be allowed to enter! http://www.trionium.com/picnic/
30/03/2008 at 21:40

I really do not like horse brasses, sorry but I just dont.  A medal would be just 'normal', a glass momento could be good if its nice quality.

This is a one off special event and as such should have a one off special momento.

30/03/2008 at 21:55

Did you do Arundel Paul?  The paperweights certainly don't seem cheap at all.   

We could enter the Picnic Susie, if we are mad enough!!  However, you won't be allowed to enter because you are not mad, whereas they would definitely welcome me with open arms (especially if wearing red tights!!!).   Yuk, yuk!

30/03/2008 at 21:59
Did you have anything especially in mind, sunluver?
30/03/2008 at 22:02
No I didn't do Arundel but are they like these 'running cubes' ?
http://www.runningimp.co.uk/default.asp?cid=0&page=glass#3

30/03/2008 at 22:13

ooooooh, nice

But , id like a mug

then i can drink out of it and smile

actually, i dont really care

Just so  bloody excited!!!!!!!!!!!!

81 to 100 of 3,295 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.