Hastings Half-Marathon

short sharp & steep or never-ending hills?

61 to 78 of 78 messages
22/03/2010 at 13:17

That was hard going yesterday but I loved it and just about got over the line under 2 hours.  The crowd supporting was amazing and kept me going up those long stretches!!

Did anyone see a couple just walking along at the start - it wouldn't have been so bad, but they were right at the front, so everyone had to dodge past them!

Very enjoyable experience!

P.S.  The no shoes guy finshed just in front of me, so there is no way I can complain about sore feet this morning!!!

Edited: 22/03/2010 at 13:20
22/03/2010 at 14:02

Had a great race. 13 mins of HM PB. Finished just outside 2 hours (2.02.30) so next target will be beating that in a flat race!

Loves the crowd support and actually the course - I tend to put the hills in the first half of my training runs, they didn't seem so bad of fresh legs, and then the downhills to the sea front felt great. I sped up without meaning to and then carried on that pace to the finish.

22/03/2010 at 14:36

was the barefoot guy me? probably - I came it just under 2 hours... feet are surprisingly okay, actually. Got a little blood blister, probably from the wet downhill, but aiming to sort that out before London in April...

Great run yesterday - amazing crowd but gutted I missed out on the goodie bags. Gutted.

22/03/2010 at 14:42
What goodie bags??!!  I missed out too then!!  I think I was so relieved to get over the finish line!!  So why the bare feet Reece?
22/03/2010 at 14:49
I din't see any goodie bags either! though the area accross the finish line was a bit chaotic. HAd to ask someone where to go for water!
22/03/2010 at 14:53

Hi Tim,

I think there are so many good reasons to go barefoot that I find it easier to ask why wear shoes. But that's no use to anyone, so in summary my own main reasons are: fewer injuries, more fun, lower impact, healthier feet, more freedom, better stability and, of course, cheaper!

mmm... this is making me want to go running...

22/03/2010 at 15:11
reecebot - fair play to you , more and more people seem to be doing the same. Likewise I didn't get a goodie bag, medal was nice though...
22/03/2010 at 17:11

Reecebot thats crazy!!! How did you manage to run that far and not seriously injure your feet? Do you train barefoot.....?? There has been alot in the press recently about barefoot running, I'm not sure im all that convinvced.

Well done tho!!

22/03/2010 at 17:45

Thanks! I try to land lightly, listen to my feet, and practice lots... there's not much more to it than that!

It's what they're for, you know!

22/03/2010 at 22:37

Hi, I'm new to the forum!

I ran Hastings Half on Sunday. What an event! This was my first running race and I'm definately doing it again next year, a good incentive to lose some weight! I managed to do it in 01:40:55 and am fairly happy with the time, but I was very slow at the end having set off with the 01:30 group.

I saw a guy pass me bare foot (as did many other with shoes!). I think there were several running bare foot and it seems to be getting popular.

23/03/2010 at 01:35
Hi, I am in the same situation as Jason is (doing things for the first time
I surprised myself by finishing it as I only had about 4 and a half weeks training, and have never run that far before. I did it in 1:50:56, and am glad to have raised some money for the Retired Greyhound Trust. I had no idea what positioning I should have or was in at the start.. I started a bit behind where the drinks were on tables at the end.

I found the downhill parts on the ridge a lot easier to speed up on compared to the uphill and last flat straight.
I saw a bare foot guy cross the line, but thought he had just took them off a bit further back as I didn't see him on the run.
23/03/2010 at 09:16

Respect to Reecebot.

I passed you at about the 3rd mile so I can confirm to doubters that you were barefooted from the start.  There was an interesting article in RW this month about barefoot running. Fairly balanced I thought, and bearing in mind how my achilles feels now - I will certainly be including some barefooted running into my training.

Also missed out on the Goodies Bag so presume there wasn't one. The medal is fantastic - it looks like a Horse Brass. It looks like it should be hanging on the wall at my local.

Came in at 1:54 which I was really happy with bearing in the mind the uphill nature of the run.

Brilliant support from the locals. Well done Hastings...

23/03/2010 at 09:21

Reece - do you do all your training bare foot too?  Do you ever suffer finding broken glass and all that?  Fair play to you anyway.

I'm still on a high from the weekend and I can't wait for Paddock Wood now, although I hope it is not too much of an anti-climax!

23/03/2010 at 10:38

I have commented to the organisers before that they need to have a 'runners only' area behind the finish line where runners can be 'processed' - medal, DRINK, goody bag, munchies, ANOTHER DRINK.

For those of you doing your first race this is much more usual and avoids the claustrophobic chaos at Hastings. Having said all of that the rest of the organisation at Hastings is spot on & the crowd support is very, very good for a half.

23/03/2010 at 13:50

Well done Jacob B!

01:50 is a good time with only 4 weeks training! I started about six-months ago, and ran the Hastings hills 3-weeks prior to the event as a training run. Before this, I only really ran on and off once or twice a week for 30-40 mins - which I thought was a long way! Since training properly, my pace has improved to a near enough 7:30 min miles.

My step dad, Alex Heywood , used to run the event when he was younger - much faster than me! He used to do 32min 10k and 20 miles under 2 hours. He became ill after a bowl cancer op and was given 24hrs to live. I promised the Hastings conquest staff that if they could get him better I'd run the race to raise some money. He's back home with us again and I managed to raise £250 so I'm doubley chuffed!

I've got the bug and want to do 01:35 next year if I can shed some weight, but it's tough when you are 37!

Some interesting course facts:

-Running Hastings half has been scientifically proven to be the equivalent of running just over 14 miles on the flat.

-The total climb is 237 metres, nearly twice as high as the London Eye

23/03/2010 at 14:44
Nice work Jason and I love the interesting facts!  That makes me feel even better, moving onto the next event!
23/03/2010 at 16:57

Hi Tim,

Provided it's above 5C, I do all my training barefoot, because otherwise I lose form and I'm all over the place. Glass isn't really a problem - generally if it's big enough to hurt it's big enough to see and avoid. Small bits are just annoying. Everything else is technique!

28/10/2012 at 20:53

Considering doing the Hastings Half Marathon next year - ran Windsor a couple of weeksago, my first half, was hard work but did it 1:58. What lvel of training is needed for Hastings how many hills are there?

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
61 to 78 of 78 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.