Hastings Half-Marathon

Who's in?

21 to 38 of 38 messages
04/03/2012 at 17:57
I'm already in and got my number a few weeks ago. The main hill is tough but the second half more than makes up for it.
11/03/2012 at 18:49

This will be my seventh consecutive running of this 'must-do' race, brilliantly organised by Hastings Lions Club.  Water only at the four drinks stations around the course.   You do get  a cup of tea at the end after you pass through the finish funnels and have collected your horse brass memento.  Those of you who have run this race before will have noticed a slight change in the course for this year. 

The Rock-a-Nore Road hairpin turn after 10 miles as you turn left on to the promenade has been taken out, the hairpin now being situated at the top of Winchelsea Road and turning left and uphill into Rye Road (just after 8 miles).  It means less route on the flat, but the promenade is quite a tiring part after having just expended most of your energy among the hills, and means a more direct route to the finish.   Should be good. 

22/03/2012 at 12:33
I've registered for this back in February through runnersworld but have not recieved my race number, I'm hoping that I can bring along my proof of purchase in the morning of the race and collect my race number. Has any body else had this problem?
22/03/2012 at 16:07
See you all there...
23/03/2012 at 13:11

I registered direct last week and my number arrived in the post a few days later. I'd check but I'm sure you'll be able to pick you number on the morning. There is a list of entrants on the sportsystems website http://www.sportsystems.co.uk/ss/event/HastingsHalfMarathon you can always check there that they have your entry

I'm looking forward to Sunday, I feel the training has come together perfectly so hope to beat my time from last year.

23/03/2012 at 13:12

Scrap the link to that list...i've just spotted that runners world entries are not included on it....

23/03/2012 at 13:19
Thanks guys, race number arrived in the post yesterday bring on the Queensway
24/03/2012 at 17:12
I wasn't going to do it this year, but i live close by and saw them setting up today. Got that old buzzy feeling so I guess i'll see you all in the morning! Not in peak condition at the moment though so might need a helping push up the dreaded first hill.
24/03/2012 at 19:01
I'll join you Alexandra as I gasp and wheeze up Crowhurst Road / Queensway!!  Lol. 
25/03/2012 at 16:22
Great day out. Was over the moon with 1:51:21. First half was really hard work and struggled to stay ahead of the 1:58 pacer but got and stayed ahead from about mile 6 and never looked back. The hill was harder than it looked on paper! I kept cursing when the spectators kept saying the hard bit's over only to see another hill when turned the corner! Let go from mile 8 thank goodness! Hope everyone had a good day. Great weather and nice support.
25/03/2012 at 18:01

Excellent race as always, although I overheated on the last three miles along the prom -boy was it warm! The only gripe I would have was a some near collisions with people either suddenly deciding to stop in front of me or being totally engrossed in their mp3 players and oblivious to everything else.(got a bit cheesed off with it after the fifth time) But then again with nigh on 5000 runners it is bound to happen. I liked the addition of the new "loop" as opposed to the old one by the fishing huts -somehow I found it a bit easier. Talking of fishing huts "popeye's" face must be aching by now given all that gurning he had to do!

26/03/2012 at 08:01
First time I've done it despite growing up in Hastings, and REALLY enjoyed it (except the last two miles, which seemed WAY more effort than the hills).

But... did anyone else have a problem with their timing chip? I was very happy with my time since it's only my second half marathon and a new personal best, but in the results my chip time was a minute and a half slower than my watch, and only a second slower than my recorded gun time. That obviously has to be a mistake in the official timing rather than mine, right? Because I didn't cross the line in the first second with all the elite athletes! I'm thinking maybe the chip didn't get picked up properly crossing the start line - is this something that happens a lot but that a race novice like me just doesn't know about?
26/03/2012 at 13:55
How was Queensway for you Mr Finknottle? I was ok this year - but my legs turned to lead at about the white rock theatre - so frustrating. But i got there in the end!
26/03/2012 at 18:52

Same problem with my chip time too. 1 sec off gun time. Impossible !

I'm a bit annoyed as it was a PB for me too.

M...eldy    pirate
26/03/2012 at 18:56
My times are a bit out as well .... I go with my Garmin times on each run as to me that is the constant

I am not overly bothered with official results and just upload the Garmin

How glad was I not to have a headwind going along the prom 
26/03/2012 at 20:33
Thanks for another well-organised event & for the fantastic support from the Hastings residents. I really love this race, it was my 7th consecutive effort.
26/03/2012 at 20:55
Really enjoyed my 1st half marathon,fantastic crowds cheering and very well organised.Managed a good time considering how hot it was,thought my feet were going to explode on the last 2 miles!!Am already thinking of doing next year.Thanks Hastings!!
30/03/2012 at 15:38

At last my work IT stops blocking access to this website....and before you say it, home PC is kaput so I couldn't log on from home either.

This year was a lot better than 2011 for me, I managed to knock 11mins off my time  and I didn't feel too bad at the end either. I too prefer the new loop, made the prom section seem a lot more manageable. Well done to the organisation and support, I'll be back for more next year......doubt I'll be able to repeat the amount of time I can knock of the previous year's time, but we'll see if I can get another PB  

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 38 of 38 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.