Hawkshead Trail 15K

Saturday 18 April 2009

21 to 40 of 55 messages
05/04/2009 at 21:11

First time I've done an off road. One question will I get away with using my road shoes ASIC 2130s?

Ria dont worry I need the extra 15 min as well. I may just squeeze under 2hr 15min.

06/04/2009 at 10:30

I know several people who have done this in road shoes and got away with it - they have all since graduated to trail shoes and find those much better.  If it rains in the next week and a half there will definately be some slippy bits out on the course.  All of the other events in the series will need trail shoes.

06/04/2009 at 13:04
Mr Ben wrote (see)

First time I've done an off road. One question will I get away with using my road shoes ASIC 2130s?

Mr Ben - The first time I did this a few years ago I done it in road shoes and was fine (though I too have now graduated to trail shoes). If my memory serves me correctly there's only one section (between 8k & 9k) where it's a steep downhill and if the ground is wet it is a little tricky.

Also you can transfer from main Race to the Challenge if you're worried about your finishing time.

This was the first off road race I ever did. I guarantee that you will love it!

06/04/2009 at 16:50
probably not the best time to wear new shoes in your first trail race -  but apprently there will be puma trail shoes available at the event at a special price.
06/04/2009 at 17:01

This thread is making me feel tired......did my first marathon yesterday.

I shall be fine for this one though......

06/04/2009 at 21:11

You must be wondering why I'm looking at this so close to the event. Well I've had a very bad chest infection and only just decided I can make it.

I'm looking at Mizuno Wave Ascend 4. Will these be more suitable and will they stand me using them on runs with 50/50 road/off road use?

Thanks for the replies. 

06/04/2009 at 23:44

Mr Ben - Mizuno Ascend would be ideal for the race, and would be OK for mixed used too
although as billywhizz said, unless you're willing to risk monster blisters I think I'd go with your existing comfiest road shoes...

I've just finalised the Slug Clan logistics: Slug Family camping + Grandma/Grandad Slug B&B

Lady Slugge yesterday managed a 10-Mile run for the first time since last November, so is now feeling a bit more positive

Quite looking forward to this one now...

09/04/2009 at 13:27

Anyone needs a race number for this event? I have one that is no longer required.

Contact me at jr@gables.eclipse.co.uk.

12/04/2009 at 11:23

Has anyone received their number for this event yet?  We haven't .... or am I being dumb and it's a "collect number on day" scenario?

NE

12/04/2009 at 12:24
if you go onto the website and follow the links you can get to the list of competitors and your number - you will need to know this on the day.  here is the link to the starters for the  race and the challenge
12/04/2009 at 12:25
jane - apparently you cannot pass on your number - something to do with health and safety etc...
12/04/2009 at 15:45

NE - it's a 'collect on the day' event.  Don't worry too much about checking your number on the website (beyond making sure your name is on the list) - there will be lists posted at registration for you to check against.

For what it's worth - the reason why we have to collect numbers on the day is so that the race organisers know how many people they've sent into the hills so that they can all be counted safely back. I know people get uptight about H&S rules (and sometimes with good cause) but I think this one's an example of how they can be applied to benefit everybody.

So Jane - if you do manage to pass on your number, make sure whoever you pass it to can claim to be you.

I've also just been on the website - there is some important travel information (roadworks between Windermere and Ambleside - Cumbria CC must have realised the tourist season has started! ) and some bad news regarding the kids' races and entertainment.  I'd suggest folks have a look before finalising plans for next weekend.

12/04/2009 at 20:15

Thanks for that.

Anyone know if you can enter the challenge with a race no.?

12/04/2009 at 21:20

Andy - your response much appreciated.  Am seriously looking forward to the race!!

NE

13/04/2009 at 10:50

Jane - absolutely - if you download the 'final details' from the Lakeland Trails website it will tell you all you need to know.  In particular, the second or third line states

"We will permit individuals to change from the Trail Race to the Challenge, but not the other way around, as the Trail Race is completely full."

I've also just seen on the website that the venue has now dried out and that the original full event plans may be back on.

18/04/2009 at 20:20
Thank you to all the organisers and marshals for a really enjoyable day. I was pleased to knock 15mins off my 2006 result and come in 1.45, would like to do 1.30 next year but those hills were impossible to run up all the way! I still have a red face, not sure if its the sunburn or the wine.
18/04/2009 at 21:58

I'd like to second that. Great day.

First time for me and aimed at 1hr 50min and did 1hr 49min 35sec. I was surprised just how tuff it was, that last 'coffin trail' I walked al the way. 

19/04/2009 at 21:14

Mrs E and myself had a great day, we've just got back after a really enjoyable weekend.  Thanks very much to the organisers .... and it was *much* tougher than we expected

NE

20/04/2009 at 09:09

Good to hear people enjoyed themselves - I know I did.  I also noticed parts of the course I don't remember from two years ago.

Anyway - who has now got a taste for this trail running lark and fancies entering Garburn?

If you're put off by the price then you may be interested in this

Basically, one of the regular runners (who has already entered) won a free entry to the Garburn Race for himself 'or a friend'.  The entry is now, with the Organiser's knowledge and agreement, available to the highest bidder over on the Fetch Everyone site. Proceeds will be added to funds raised by the participants in the Brathay 10 in10 challenge during May (10 times round the Windermere Marathon route on consecutive days).  Its a great cause and it would be a shame if a decent donation wasn't forthcoming.

20/04/2009 at 11:49

Let's be honest - that was a fell race - "Trail" my eye!
150ft ascent/Mile/rough paths = FELL RACE
John Heneghan beating John Brown by 2mins = FELL RACE

and whoever suggested running it in road shoes must've been having a giraffe - SO glad I had my trusty Mizuno Harriers on

Loved it!

21 to 40 of 55 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.