Headington 5

(thanks Pizza Man!)

11 messages
18/08/2002 at 13:48
Hello, just decided to follow Pizza Man's suggestion and do the Headington 5 on 25 August. Anyone else out there doing it?

It will probably turn out to more of a regular run than a real race for me, but I dont care, it will be my first ever race (so automatic PB!), and that's what makes it exciting.

Cheers,
Hild
19/08/2002 at 17:14
I'm in! My first 5 miler so also a PB. Good luck cycling there. I hope the course is flat 'cos I'm fed up with picking runs with hills (Wycombe Half, Bearbrook 10!!)
19/08/2002 at 21:56
I think it's generally flat, with the beginning bit (along the dual carriage way) going uphill, whilst the end bit (Marston Ferry Road) goes downhill.

I only live a few miles from the start, so getting there will be my warm-up! I just registered today, so I hope I get my race number beforehand!

Good luck!
23/08/2002 at 21:23
Hi Hildegard,

Am I right in thinking this is your first race since school? If so,

GOOD LUCK & ENJOY

I won't be doing it myself as it's a little bit too far to go.
All the best
PM
24/08/2002 at 13:33
Yes PM, you are right as rain. I'm really nervous about it, mainly because I haven't been feeling one hundred percent over the past few days. I've been trying to eat more this past week, but feeling unwell has sabotaged that. Oh well, I was out until 4am last night, but tonight I'm teetotal, and shall be getting to bed earlier!

I would like to run it in 50 minutes, but my main goal is not to walk! I'll let you know how I get on.

Cheers,
Hild
24/08/2002 at 16:33
Good luck Hildegard, I'm sure you'll have a great time. Just enjoy it and don't worry what anyone around you is doing. Let us know how you get on.
25/08/2002 at 11:53
Hi all,

Just home from the race, where I got a stunning all time PB of 43 minutes!! So I'm very pleased. Met a couple of friends at the start, so my anonymity was gone, but they sped away quite quickly! I started off slowly, which enabled me to pace myself and not burn out too soon, as well as speed up at the end and pass lots of people.

I haven't been awake this early on a Sunday in ages, so it's quite a novel experience all in all!

Nobby, how did you get on?

Cheers,
Hild
27/08/2002 at 08:14
Hi Hildegard

Well done on your time. I'm also very pleased with my 36 mins. Coming from High Wycombe it makes a change to run on the flat for once!!!

Does this mean you have got the bug for some more races???
27/08/2002 at 10:36
Well done Nobby. I'm racing again this Thursday, once more in Oxford, a 4 miler. After that, I'd like to do more, but I have to start working like mad again on my thesis, so I'm not sure how much time I'll have to spare. Plus, I have to beg people for grant money so that I can actually do this amazing postdoc that I've been offered next year.

Perhaps I'll choose a 10K in a few more months? What are your upcoming racing plans?
27/08/2002 at 11:10
Go Girl
2 races in a week. Doesn't sound so good on the thesis and begging front though!!

I am taking it easy for the next month before I compete in the Amersham 5 on 22nd Sept and the Windsor Half Marathon on 29th Sept. I'm hoping to get under 1:50 in the Windsor race so I've got to get some serious training in.

What's the thesis on... anything to do with the Hildegard moniker??
27/08/2002 at 13:08
As my Thursday race is one mile less than Sunday's, I'm not nervous like I was before! Good luck for Windsor, as it will soon be here.

The thesis is on medieval English/Norse literature. So, basically I have no life, but it will all be worth it in the end. Hildegard was a German mystic nun. I, however, am not.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
11 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.