Helly Hansen Beauty and the Beast

Who's In?

21 to 32 of 32 messages
23/09/2012 at 15:57

I certainly underestimated it.It was quite funny because as we got out of the car we just went quiet when it dawned on us what was ahead!  Wasn't quite prepared for ALL of it to be off road! The Beast was a killer but I expected that. I did try and run a few feet up it in the last lap but not much alas. I found the toughest part- and the least enjoyable- was going ACROSS the open slopes as my feet kept on slipping sideways in my shoes due to the camber.. I didn't mind the woods but found it difficult to run in due to the roots etc- but I guess that's my inexperience in trail running. I went over on my ankle a few times..On the road I can go sub 4 ( 3:50 ish). This one took me over 5 hours!  Today my quads feel like they've been bashed by a hammer and I guess that's due to the downhills. I did pluck up courage and tried to run down the big hill in not so tiptoey a fashion as I did in the first lap and I quite enjoyed that bit but I'm still a bit lily -livered when it comes to going down at full speed as I was scared of tripping over the long grass! . A very well organised event though with fantastic marshalls and feed stations and of course a great goody bag

WiB
23/09/2012 at 21:04

Just looked and results are up now.

Jenny - There was a coupel people stopped for a breather walking to the registration area

WiB
23/09/2012 at 21:59

Ha WiB!  *hopes it wasn't me...*

Just seen the results and in those immortal words of Simon Cowell I was 'distinctly average'  at place number 60! Interesting set of results with only 10 below 4 hours. Shows how tough it was I guess

Although my quads feel extremely tender I feel really well in myself and tentatively thinking of trying another trail run. One day. Not quite yet..... Dreading tomorrow though. I left my bike at work and have a long walk in the morning . And all the classes that I teach at work are on upper storeys...

WiB
24/09/2012 at 10:22

I am sure it wasn't you Jenny!

Definitely not an easy course  I seem to ahve got away without any noticable damage though, went for an easy 60 mins yesterday with no problems.

Edited: 24/09/2012 at 10:27
WiB
24/09/2012 at 11:00

Loved the race, finished the marathon in 4 hrs 13mins!

I didn't have a thames path 100 top on (haven't earned one yet!) but spoke to a lot of people on the way round including a really tall guy who did have a TP100 top on.. The course was awesome and the beast was a killer. I took the first lap fairly easy and figured from there that if you have to go down hills that steep its easier to go with gravity rather than try and beat it. I topped out at 5.07mins/ mile coming downhill at one point, it was soo much fun! I too ache in some strange places but will go out tonight and see how my body has held up. Will be back next year for this one.

WiB
24/09/2012 at 12:23

Well done MB. Great time for that course.

WiB
24/09/2012 at 16:18

I can't believe how sore my quads are still today- it is years since I suffered like this after a marathon. I feel fine in myself but it is still very very painful going up and down stairs. Maybe I've lost some strength in my legs as I don't cycle as much as I used to or maybe it's simply the inexperience of down-hill running! 

24/09/2012 at 17:25

Thanks WiB, I'm well pleased with that! I read a pretty cool book on fell running that gave me lots of tips and inspiration for the hills, its called 'Feet in the Cloud: A Tale of Fell Running'. Def worth a read if you're interested.

What's next on peoples agenda? I've entered Freith Hilly 10k and the Rugged Radnage 10k. Both are local for me and they are awesome races for support and a tough course, albeit a bit shorter that the B&B.

WiB
24/09/2012 at 18:50

Caesars Camp 50 in 4 weeks. Looking forward to it. I read Feet in the Clouds a while back, a great book.

WiB
25/09/2012 at 10:50

Awesome! Good luck WiB. Hope to run into you again sometime!

WiB
25/09/2012 at 13:34

Cheers MB. I will be at TP100 most likely, although not running so pop over to the Ultra section as no doubt you will find a few people on there doing it.

I put a little bit together on the race from Sat if anyone needs to waste a couple of minutes! http://ultrapaulo.wordpress.com

WiB
25/09/2012 at 16:03

Cheers WiB. Bloody good effort on B&B! Will keep an eye on your blog as you've got some awesome races coming up.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 32 of 32 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.