Helsby Half Mara

61 to 80 of 140 messages
12/12/2008 at 14:06
it probably is, but I won't tell anyone, if you don't
12/12/2008 at 14:11

well it could be seen as a contribution to the charity that you're runing for so i'm happy to help.

I'll send you a message with my email address, and then you can email me your details so when i get the information through, i'll forward it on to your address.

Edited: 12/12/2008 at 14:14
12/12/2008 at 14:50
gr8
12/12/2008 at 22:10

Looking forward to the Helsby race. I did a short session (10km, 5km out and same route back) on the first bit of the course on Monday. Will have to watch that I start slowly as the 'hill' is just after the first mile and as this will be my first 1/2 marathon I need to make sure I get round ok.

Planning to run the whole course very slowly on 28/12.

Nat 

12/12/2008 at 22:45

Nathalie - been 4 years since I last did Helsby, but I don't recall the "hill" in the first couple of miles as being too bad a climb. "Dunham on the Hill" is a bit of a misnomer.

The first significant climb starts after about 7.3 miles/just before 12K - not particularly steep, but it goes on for a while and takes you up about 30-40m.
The steepest of the lot is just after 10 miles/16K, and for me that's the start of the "graveyard mile" where you're just hanging on waiting for the left turn into Towers Lane where you start the descent to the finish.

If you're in a position to be able to recce the course by actually running it over the Xmas holidays that's brilliant - will be a huge help when it's time to do it for real.

13/12/2008 at 20:27

Hi Mike

I am a novice long distance runner and the climb at Dunham on the Hill is hard enough being at the beginning of the race! Hope I do have some energy left for the long descent at the end of the race.

Regards

Nathalie

16/12/2008 at 13:09

I ran part of the course last Monday Nathalie as well - you didn't have a head torch on by any chance?

I find the hill up to Dunham managable, but that's as far as I went on the route, I stayed on Chester Road to Bridge Trafford before turning back. Trying to take advantage of living within walking distance of the start...

16/12/2008 at 14:35

Where exactly is the start these days ? The race headquarters used to be at the Shell sports & social club, and the start was in a road just opposite (Robin Hood Lane (?)). The website mentions Tesco, but there never used to be a Tesco in the area

Is the start still in the same place ?

16/12/2008 at 15:53
Tescos is a couple of hundred yards up the road from the sports club - back towards the centre of Helsby. It has only been there 2 or 3 years. First time I've done it but I assume that's where the race starts from. Opposite the little co-op shop, if that helps.
16/12/2008 at 17:11
Yeah, it is a stone's throw from the Tesco.  The toilets were busy!
21/12/2008 at 12:46

No Paul - no headtorch that Monday I'm afraid. Ran it in the morning as was off work.

Just finished a 10mile training run. Not fun going out towards Airbus in Broughton: fight against a strong headwind. did 1'34"10". Nearly 8 minutes slower than the previous 2 sessions for that route, but than my brother gave me a talking to for running to fast in training.. As I am a novice he tells me I should learn to run longer but slower.

Need a bit of advice!! I am planning to run the entire Helsby course on 29th December. Is this a good idea or should I just stick with maximum training sessions of 10miles (have done 3 to date in preparation for Helsby)? My last 10miles will be on Monday 5th January.

Nathalie 

21/12/2008 at 17:41
Hi, Nathalie! Good mileage today and earlier - well done

I must say, I gave in to temptation before my first HM in 1987 and ran 13 miles but it didn't really have any greater effect than the 10s and 11s I was running confidently in training.

So, imho, run to your plan and save the 4 Villages course until the big day. You'll be very close to breaking 2 hours if your run today is taken as a guide.

Good training and good luck!!
22/12/2008 at 09:04

If you've never run 13 miles before then I'd save it for the race, if you can run 10 miles then you can run 13. Just keep doing the 10 milers or even add a mile or two on. But save the magic distance for the race

R

22/12/2008 at 10:12

Hi Nathalie, can only agree with swittle and WRW - if you can do 10 miles now, no need to worry about doing 13 in 4 weeks time. Maybe do an extra mile or so next weekend, or during the following week if you're off work (a good chance to get out in daylight). Then spend the rest of time consolidating what you've already done.

10-miler on 4th Jan is probably OK, but no later than that. Apart from that, I'd start easing back in the New Year, doing no more than 7 & 8-milers. At this stage, if in doubt - do LESS

Good luck

22/12/2008 at 23:02

Thanks for all the advice! Also spoken with my brother, a long distance runner, and will be doing an 11mile run on 29th December. Maybe another 10miles on 5th January but might shorten that slightly.

Did another 10miles yesterday but it was fighting against the wind for approx. 5miles. Took me 8 minutes longer than the previous 2 times on the same route.

Do you think my aim (and schedule!) to run 1u50' in Helsby is crazy?!

Nat

23/12/2008 at 09:14

Nathalie, I've just looked back to your original post. If you've got a 10k PB of 48 something, and regularly do around 50 min or less, then as long as you've done the extra mileage, and built up gradually with no probems, then I'd say 1:50 is a reasonable target - maybe even 1:45 if everything goes perfectly

A couple of  provisos: everyone is different, so you may me more suited to shorter distances, or you may be perfectly suited to half-marathon and beyond - after 18th Jan, you'll have a better idea. From what I remember about the course, it's not easy to run steady pace all the way round, but be careful about setting off too fast - the last mile gives you every opportunity to make up any lost time.

As it's your first half, it's going to be a PB, no matter what time you do, so don't get too hung up about the time - better to do 1:55 comfortably, than struggle for a faster time, and possibly be disappointed over a few seconds.

So, in answer to your question - no it's not crazy. Good luck, but enjoy  !

23/12/2008 at 18:32

Thanks for the positive feedback above. Yes, having seen the course, you're right it will be tricky keeping a steady pace. My brother's schedule for me for Helsby gives 8'23" miles all the way.

Will know more on 29th when I will hopefully do 11miles on the course!

Regards

Nat

27/12/2008 at 16:56
Jay Snizzel wrote (see)

Running4Rwanda.com, i have entered this race but now i've changed my mind and no longer will be running it, i dont think we can get a refund or what have you, so if you wish you may have my stuff when it comes through the post.

let me know if you're interested, i dont think this is against any rules.. or is it?

Sorry Jay - you can't just give (or sell) your number to someone else.
UK Athletics rule 216(3) says "Numbers are issued to the individual athlete completing the application form and are non-transferable except with the specific authority of the Race Secretary."
(see http://www.ukathletics.net/competitions/rules/).

If (and I do mean if) the race organiser allows it, then you can officially transfer the number to someone else, otherwise you cannot do it.

27/12/2008 at 18:59

OK Mr Rule book, i wont transfer the number But someone with my name will be completing the race.

27/12/2008 at 19:27

That's even worse Jay - so when that person collapses with a medical condition during the race, whose wife will be the one getting a knock on their door to say their husband has collapsed ?

What I was trying to say was that - if the organiser allows (and not all do) - you should transfer it OFFICIALLY, and not just give it to someone else.

61 to 80 of 140 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.