How are you spending Boxing Day?

Chevin Chase?

41 to 49 of 49 messages
26/12/2008 at 17:13

wow, that was fun!

back from my first Chevin Chase, one race i can certainly say i will do again. some tough hills, but great support from marshals/speccies and fellow racers. loved the muddy bits (got a cheer at the top of the first descent for going straight through mud!), but my feet were about 3 times heavier in the last mile i am sure!

hello to Swittle, brill to meet a forumite in "real" life, thanks for cheering me over the line.

see you all next year x

26/12/2008 at 23:08
my first chevin chase as well - beautiful course with great marshals and crowd support.

However I think next year should feature a start line, I didn't know from where or when the race had started. Also, a HQ where racers could gather beforehand would have been useful, as it was so cold!

Very slow race and not one for a PB, couldn't believe how slow the first 2 miles were. Mile markers were badly missed, and maybe a water station after the chevin would have helped the weaker runners.

But all in all a good run and fantastic free shirts at the end!
26/12/2008 at 23:18

Ian,

I think the Leisure Centre is the race HQ (although there is no way 800 runners could all fit in there) - But yes agree that start line needs to be clearer.

My first time running it this millenium (1999 last time) - a cracking day for racing with the sun soon warming the runners up - gloves were off in less than 5 mins. Agree the long sleeved tee-shirts were excellent - can now replace my 1999 one!!

27/12/2008 at 15:30

This was differant!!No start line crammed together for first mile or two the mud was mental even santa was cruising past me!!The two walls everyone had to wait to get over were annoying but thats just me!!

The crowds were fantastic and very encouraging thank you

No water station was dissapointing but the long sleeve tee shirt was fantastic.

Won't be back next year probably due to my terrible finish time but it was worth the experience and quite funny at times.

The hills were a teaser and the marshalls were plentiful and a cheery bunch,thanks to all at the club.

27/12/2008 at 15:56

surely you have to come back next year to get a better finish time David?

i will deffo be back next year, even Mr Meglet says he will enter next year, and in fancy dress.

30/12/2008 at 20:51

official time 1h22m33s (7 miles-ish, not measured). i was 802 out of 833 finishers!

something to beat next year, and to aim to finish when there are still small t-shirts

31/12/2008 at 15:33
Nah wont be back too hard stick to road running tried and failed at this one but no disrespect to the marshalls and crowds awesome.Tees hirt the best i've ever won.Thanks.Did the ribble valley 10k two days after and completed the race in 45 mins so you must agree Mudlet running through mud aint for me.
GTC
31/12/2008 at 17:00

David

That's why we train, to tackle new challenges. I promise you we do the chevin chase in training runs as it is our back yard and it is a challenge but by no means impossible. Mud and hills are good for fitness, endurance and a damn good laugh.

Set yourself the goal of doing it next year and then get into the pub afterwards (The Drop) and listen to everyone telling each other what a great tme they had.

Learning to go off road will make your road running that bit easier.

GTC
31/12/2008 at 23:38
Well done, Mudlet and great to see you looking quite perky as you came across the finish line - said you'd not be last, didn't I? As for that huge mud lake on the 1st descent, it looked bottomless See you Boxing Day 2009 if not before

I've run every one since 2000 (except 2005) and my times have slipped away but not as much as I did in the "agricultural" mud by the barn in the last field This event is a firm favourite with me, although I can see how some will always prefer the predictability of the road.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
41 to 49 of 49 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.