Humber Bridge Half-Marathon

101 to 112 of 112 messages
17/06/2009 at 13:13
bolognese sauce wrote (see)

Yesterday was only my second half marathon. I lost it completely just before the bottom of gravel pit, and started to fantasise about water from then onwards (had plenty of gatorade before and first part of race), so I started to run/walk as was terrified of ending up in an ambulance. I even thought of mugging a chap who had one of those dougnut shaped affairs with something which looked like a banana milkshake.

Can I just ask some of you more experienced ones - is it ok to take on a couple of glasses of water at the later drink stations? I did knock back a couple of glasses like one of the earlier reviewers did at several water stops towards the last part, but thought that drinking too much in one go was bad for you. Also, in really hot weather like yesterday, I know I could have carried on running some more, but it seems that it really is dangerous to push yourself to the limits.

Will be back next year though, and maybe with one of those camelbaks.

I have a feeling the chap with the dount and the milkshake may have been me! It was infact a orange drink of some sort but due to heat and shaking I think the chemical compound had changed and it formed some kind of jelly!! Was nice though!

Was my first half marathon I have done, I am a recovering fat bloke (shed 7 stone leading up to this) and posted a time of 2hrs and 37... I couldnt be happier with the time and loved every minute of the run. I was very nervous going in to it, but all the other runners, support teams and people out to watch made it a fantastic experience and 1 I wont forget!

I totally have the bug now and will def be back next year!!!

17/06/2009 at 13:26

hi darren

nice to find another recovering fatty  over the last 3 1/2 years ive lost 9 stone and since last june ive been running was a powerwalker up til then humber was my 7th half, and the bug has bit me too

i love to run now not sure about coming back next year but you never know

keep up the good work

angie

17/06/2009 at 14:10

darren - judging by the time and if you had an ipod it would be you! Can't tell you how close you came to being mugged for it. Started dreaming of battered sausage when I thought I got a whiff coming back over bridge also. Only my second half and thoroughly enjoyed it.

See you next year for definite,and we both might be a bit slimmer and faster....!!

x

17/06/2009 at 14:15

Yeah... definatly me!!! I would be the burley looking annoyed chap in the bright tshirt!!

Sadly most of that hill is a blur to me, I remeber a couple of people on it... some one in a black top... and a young lad with a gashed knee... he was working very hard and definatly made me push myself when I was about to stop!!

I got a weird hamburger smell as I approached the end but figured I was delirious!!!!

Faster maybe... slimmer??? hmmmm will see!!

17/06/2009 at 14:40

Bit faster will do. I was the lady with sleeveless black top and badly burnt left shoulder.I even thought of pushing you off the bridge to get your 'banana milk shake', 'cos I thought that if I just grabbed it you'd run after me, and my legs wouldn't take it! Amazing what a bit of heatstroke does! Promise to behave next year though, and I'll keep a look out for you.

17/06/2009 at 14:52

Yeah, I remember you!!! How very odd...!

Pushing me off the bridge may have been a happy occurence at the time! I honestly thought at one point I could see a tunnel with a bright light at the end!

TO be honest, any running after you would have been done very slowly indeed!!! I was exhausted!

I wouldnt worry about behaving to much, I had quite a laugh with a few people going round and it REALLY helped out!!

Am not sure if your aware of this or not, but there are loads of photos online here https://www.global-pix.com/scripts/event_entry.py?event=Sports/CPUK/2009/Humber%Bridge%Half I hope I havent broken some rule about advertising... im nothing to do with the site!!

17/06/2009 at 15:39
If you go on www.marathon-photos.com, they're all on there now also. no photos over finishing line though, but good on bridge.
17/06/2009 at 15:49
Just been taking a look, there great... though boy do I look rough!! Flattering photos they aint!
18/06/2009 at 13:20
Is anybody else having problems accessing the Humber Bridge Half site to get results?
18/06/2009 at 13:22

hi katie

i couldnt get on there

try this one

http://www.sportsystems.net/Results/ResultsHumberBridge09All.pdf

18/06/2009 at 13:26

Cheers Angela

18/06/2009 at 13:28
no probs

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
101 to 112 of 112 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.