IAAF Cross Country World Championships

4 messages
04/03/2011 at 22:50

On the off-chance that anyone was thinking of going to the World Cross Country Championships (http://www.iaaf.org/WXC11/index.html ), presumably to spectate - but best of luck otherwise -I thought I'd offer a few lines of local knowledge, as the venue is just down the road from me.

The official website recommends Sevilla airport, but in fact Faro is significantly closer (you don't have to get through Seville, the motorway is less cluttered) and has a wider range of operators.

Ditto, the official hotel, there are various cheaper alternatives.

Nothing to promote myself, but as a local I'm really excited about the event. The area is great for running (lots of pine glades, miles of beaches and excellent weather at this time of year). You could make a very refreshing weekend break of it.

26/03/2011 at 15:31
I watched this on Channel 4 this morning. What a joke! They may as well put astroturf on a 400 metre track, put a few steeplechase barriers up and put a ramp on the back straight as a hill. Why can't there be a real cross country with hills, mud and lousy weather? OK, the Africans would probably still win but it would be cross country, not a road race on grass.
Edited: 26/03/2011 at 15:32
29/03/2011 at 12:47
Sadly, I completely agree.  It looked as if they'd brought in the surface specially from Axminster. Perhaps the Rift Valley is fully fitted with astroturf and these boys are unused to anything less. More's the pity, as there is some good cross-country terrain to be trod here, perhaps not the rutted fields we cherish from our school days, but there is many a sand trap and you should never underestimate the delaying potential of the gnarled root.
29/03/2011 at 13:18
I know what you mean, I've tripped over a few tree roots in my time although here in Bolton, the pavements are so bad that any run is virtually off-road!

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
4 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.