Irish Races

Looking for info

1 to 20 of 29 messages
10/12/2002 at 16:01
I'm planning to visit Ireland in 2003, and would like to combine this with a race, preferably a half marathon. I'm having trouble finding a comprehensive list of events. Can anyone help?

Andy
16/12/2002 at 13:09
Hi Andy,

I have the same idea as you, did you have any come back on your request!!!!!

Lou
16/12/2002 at 13:11
See the connemarathon thread on events which loadz of us are doing. There is a guy called Ray on there that will be able to tell you about others too

Good luck
16/12/2002 at 13:12
Afraid not, Louise, but thanks for getting it to the top of the list again. Someone in the know (one of the Connemarathoners?) may see it this time.

Andy
16/12/2002 at 13:13
Ah, thanks Wolfy
16/12/2002 at 13:23
Hi, myself and a couple of running buddies are planning on doing the Dublin marathon on Mon 27th Oct 2003, www.dublincitymarathon.ie/ will be a first for us, but thought a great place to start! You can enter online at www.activeeurope.com!
Ali
16/12/2002 at 13:30
PS... Active europe is a good search engine for events!
16/12/2002 at 13:32
What's the URL please?
16/12/2002 at 13:33
RC: sorry about earlier thread I was about as much help as a chocolate fireguard....still asleep I think!!!

We did dublin this year and it was fab!
16/12/2002 at 13:39
Wolfy - no it was a good suggestion. I've posted a message on the Connemarathon thread.

I've not heard a bad word about the Dublin marathon though there are some hills I believe? I've promised my wife that I won't do any marathons in 2003 but October is virtually 2004, so I might just get away with it.

Andy
16/12/2002 at 13:41
http://www.activeeurope.com/home/index.cfm

What was the course like for Dublin... HOW many hills?? LOL

16/12/2002 at 13:45
? Were there hills?
16/12/2002 at 13:53
RC,
Waiting to hear from Wolfy re hills! I have been to Dublin on business, never run there,have the course mapped on my map! (sad I know) The map is only a street one and doesnt show things like hills!! LOL Was amused to note that the route takes in the front door of practically all hospitals in Dublin tho'!
16/12/2002 at 14:00
Dublin course was OK. I didn't find it anything spectacular from a scenic point of view, the crowds were rubbish (sorry the Yanks bizarrely enough were up fer it but the rest were just not supportive at all). The hills start at c.19 miles I think and went on for a couple of miles which was interesting cos my other half was injured and really didn't want them!

Quick summary of my thoughts on Dublin:

a) Great city very sociable met some great people and had a great night out (or two!)

b) Course, pretty boring not too hill except 19-21ish miles.

c) Crowd support pooh!

d) Would I do it again....yes but only to meet up with my other running pals!

Think I may have been expecting a bit of FLM fever over there but didn't experience it.

Hope Milano is better!
16/12/2002 at 14:01
Sorry if I have put you off, that wasn't my intention! A lot of my running pals thought it was great!
16/12/2002 at 14:04
Hmm, interesting. I was under the impression that the Dublin crowds were loud and large. Still quite tempted though, especially as I have family in Dublin, and I might even persuade my sister to take part.

Andy
16/12/2002 at 14:06
Wolfy...
No not put off, have entered all ready and planning a week out there as well....
Has to be done, sample the Irish hospitality and all that!!
A
16/12/2002 at 14:07
RC: no they were definitely NOT loud and large and I think that the reason for that is that the majority weren't from Dublin!!!! Dubliners, as you know, are lovely and friendly but with Dublin being so Cosmopolitan people were walking along the streets and seemed oblivious to the race. I think there were somewhere in the region of 8k runners so you'd expect a fair crowd but I was literally running around clapping to encourage them to encourage my other half! Dismal.

I've done worse marathons but I'm sure they get much better than Dublin!
16/12/2002 at 14:08
Ali, with that attitude you'll have a super time. The cit, the pre-post race atmosphere is great and I do hope that the crowds come out next year to give you the support that you deserve!
16/12/2002 at 14:14
Wow, i think i know all about Dublin now, unfortunatly i was hoping for a spring marathon over there. Do you know of any!!!!! When is the Belfast marathon?

Lou
1 to 20 of 29 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.