Join the fight against cancer and sign up to Race for Life today!

41 to 41 of 41 messages
02/02/2013 at 16:50
Mr Puffy wrote (see)

And the way they announce that "Thirty per cent of women DO NOT HAND OVER THEIR SPONSORSHIP" and then email participants for months afterwardsasking them where their money is, as if they've pissed it up the wall in Benidorm, when in fact they thought they were supporting cancer research  just by paying the inflated entry fee.

The reason women don't "hand over" their sponsorship is because they collect it directly on sites like justgiving, so they don't have anything to hand over.  I've already raised this on the CRUK Facebook page as it's horribly misleading and makes people very angry.  Also - lots of people sign up but then don't do it for whatever reason, so of course they don't hand over any cash because they haven't "earned" any.  Of course, I was completely ignored. Why let the truth get in the way of an emotive headline?

Race for Life got me running, so I'm not saying it's a bad thing, but I find CRUK's attitude arrogant at times. I don't like organisations who ignore comments on Facebook.  There's also the whole controversy about excluding men and boys, though it's unclear to me why the men who want to raise money can't choose another event to run (I was told it's because they're all 10ks and some guys want to do 5k - I give you parkrun then and actually a lot of longer events have 5k fun runs). I much prefer parkrun or the many club-organised lower-key but as good if not better events.

It's also a mystery to me how it can cost so much to put on when there's no timing, no closed roads etc and the medals are rubbish!  But I don't deny that the events make a lot of money for a deserving cause.

Edited: 02/02/2013 at 16:54

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
41 to 41 of 41 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.