Join the fight against cancer and sign up to Race for Life today!

1 to 20 of 46 messages
27/01/2013 at 14:22

Cancer, we’re coming to get you. Join in this year’s Race for Life and show cancer who’s boss. Come along and run, walk, dance or sponsor - together we will bring forward the day when all cancers are cured.

Race for Life is the UK’s biggest fight against cancer and the largest women-only fundraising event in the UK.

Since Race for Life started in 1994, an incredible six million participants have raised over £493million, more than any other UK event series raising money to fund cancer research.

Some of our Race for Life women take part in celebration of surviving a cancer experience. Others take part in memory of a loved one or to give hope to a cancer-free future. But all of you share a common goal: to raise money for Cancer Research UK's groundbreaking work and to help save more lives.

www.raceforlife.org

Dave The Ex- Spartan    pirate
27/01/2013 at 14:26
Where do I sign ?
seren nos    pirate
27/01/2013 at 14:33

Does any of the £15 entry go to cancer research or is that all admin fees............

27/01/2013 at 14:35
Think some go's into Lance Armstrong's defence fund
27/01/2013 at 15:22

Apparently all of the £14.99 entry fee goes into the set-up and organisation,

JPenno    pirate
27/01/2013 at 21:59

So Race for Life hasnt actually given any money for the cause its all from sponsorship?

28/01/2013 at 19:47

Like most other charity events, the entry fee covers the cost of the organisation of the event eg the £50 entry fee for the Great North Run.. not sure why this comes as such a suprise?

28/01/2013 at 19:48
I hadn't realised the Great North Run was organised by a "charity"
kittenkat    pirate
28/01/2013 at 19:51
Dave The Ex- Spartan wrote (see)
Think some go's into Lance Armstrong's defence fund

go's isn't a viable word Dave, it's almost as bad as this............. between............... everything.............

But not quite

kittenkat    pirate
28/01/2013 at 19:56
Sarah Threadgall 2 wrote (see)

Cancer, we’re coming to get you. Join in this year’s Race for Life and show cancer who’s boss. Come along and run, walk, dance or sponsor - together we will bring forward the day when all cancers are cured.

Race for Life is the UK’s biggest fight against cancer and the largest women-only fundraising event in the UK.

Since Race for Life started in 1994, an incredible six million participants have raised over £493million, more than any other UK event series raising money to fund cancer research.

Some of our Race for Life women take part in celebration of surviving a cancer experience. Others take part in memory of a loved one or to give hope to a cancer-free future. But all of you share a common goal: to raise money for Cancer Research UK's groundbreaking work and to help save more lives.

www.raceforlife.org

I'm not getting involved in the 'where does the money go' conversation, because I have no idea. But don't let the comments put you off what is a very emotive and sincere endevour by many women.

kittenkat    pirate
28/01/2013 at 19:59

If someone comes to the table with the breakdown of the entry fee, we can make an informed comment, until then where are people getting their 'opinion' from?

Gotta love the binternet.

28/01/2013 at 20:04
My humble apologies KK

Is there a thread that I can feel free to comment on ?
kittenkat    pirate
28/01/2013 at 20:06
Dave The Ex- Spartan wrote (see)
My humble apologies KK

Is there a thread that I can feel free to comment on ?

Depends on how you are dressed.

28/01/2013 at 20:09

Amazing how people can have such a negative view on a positive event due to an entry fee which you can expect at any running event, regardless of whether it is a charity event or not!.... 

28/01/2013 at 20:12
I think it's that people assume that part of the entry fee is going towards the charity
kittenkat    pirate
28/01/2013 at 20:13

Does it not? No friggin idea...

28/01/2013 at 21:26

And the way they announce that "Thirty per cent of women DO NOT HAND OVER THEIR SPONSORSHIP" and then email participants for months afterwardsasking them where their money is, as if they've pissed it up the wall in Benidorm, when in fact they thought they were supporting cancer research  just by paying the inflated entry fee.

28/01/2013 at 21:59

Another person taking away from the positivity of the events and the research the money funds! 

seren nos    pirate
28/01/2013 at 22:05

how many women do it 10,000..??..............instead of charging £150,000 to arrange the races....wouldn't it be better if everyone did a park run for free and gave the £150,000 to cancer research as well as all of the sponsorship on top

28/01/2013 at 22:12

To say that 12,500 ladies took part in Glasgow in 2012 and there are over 200 events, I think the scale of park run is a little small!

1 to 20 of 46 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.