Jungfrau Marathon

Anyone else doing 20th edition this year?

21 to 34 of 34 messages
03/09/2012 at 07:58

Weatherwise, it is looking good for Saturday.

There is likely to be some early mist in the Lauterbrunnen valley which will clear to leave full sun later. Meteo Suisse are predicting a maximum temperature of 14°C at Kleine Scheidegg, and a max of 22° in the valley at Lauterbrunnen. 

If this changes significantly I will post another message 

Edited: 03/09/2012 at 07:59
03/09/2012 at 11:27

Thanks Einepyk, sounds ideal and hoping Sunday is similar.

Just found this thread after not being on the forum for a while. Looking forward to the race now despite not doing enough hill training. Thinking it will be a half mara followed by a long scenic walk. Group of 8 + supporters of us from Soton area going out to do the run (5 Sat, 3 Sun). Fly out Wed so get to see what the weather is like then.

Any idea why the Google & IPhone weather forecasts for Lauterbrunnen are so far off the mark. Interlaken shows a realistic 17c but Lauterbrunnen 0c & light snow which I cant believe.

03/09/2012 at 13:15
I saw that too but been watching the weather channel 10 day app which is much more on the mark. If you are out supporting on Saturday I am running in a union jack vest with Lisa on the front! I'm excited now I can't do anything about my training!!
03/09/2012 at 14:14

There was a sprinkling of snow above Wixi on Friday but there is barely a trace of it now.

03/09/2012 at 14:18

I'm running on Saturday - I'll be somewhere near the back! I'll look out for your vest Lisa!

04/09/2012 at 05:36
Thanks Steve. Looking lovely now. Hope it's not too hot - never thought I'd say that but at least we will have stunning views.
12/09/2012 at 09:25

Sorry that I didn't see you on Saturday, Lisa, but I'm seriously impressed by your time! Well done!

12/09/2012 at 10:23
Thanks Steve. I absolutely loved it. We were so lucky with the weather too. How did you get on?
12/09/2012 at 11:38

Well, I finished - which was my only aim - so I am happy. (It is 30 years since I last ran a marathon).

I passed through the gate at Wixi seconds before it closed!

Next year?

12/09/2012 at 12:30
Well done to you. It was very hot day. I don't think I will do it again as then in becomes time related. And I love the memories and photos I have of that day with my parents supporting me too. At 40 I think it will only get harder now!!
13/09/2012 at 12:04

Did see you on the Saturday Lisa. Was supporting at the 21km point just out of Lauterbrunnen. Even got a photo but you appear to be texting at the time.

Really enjoyed the race but that was one tough run! Knowing how to pace the various sections and where to walk was key. Thought the organisation, drinks stations etc were spot on.

13/09/2012 at 12:16
A.A! wrote (see)
 At 40 I think it will only get harder now!!

At 60, I'm hoping that it can't get any harder! I probably will do it again, partly because the race is on my doorstep and partly in the hope of doing better next time. Like Owen, I was very impressed by the organisation and the many helpers.

13/09/2012 at 13:51
Ah, sorry Owen! I sent a few texts and took loads of photos en route I was glad I ran with my own drinks bottles and kept filling them up from my parents and water stations. It was so hot.
I was watching in lauterbrunnen on the Sunday opposite the lady with union jack flag up in the coffee shop. How did you get on?

Steve - good for you. If I lived there I would do it every year. I loved wearing my t shirt with pride on the Sunday.
20/09/2012 at 14:59

I absolutely loved this Marathon and will definitely be going back next year!

I finished in 4hrs 36mins.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 34 of 34 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.