Jurassic Coast Challenge March 2013

has anyone entered?

21 to 40 of 62 messages
13/02/2013 at 16:13
David Falconer 3 wrote (see)
AussieCate wrote (see)

(I can get a little over emotional about mud and silly things when I am tired!!)

Youre an Australian ......... suck it up ...... thought we bred em tough in Aussie land????

Bahahaha! I thought this was a safe place to share No Judging!!!  ... Besides Ive been out of the country for awhile ..

13/02/2013 at 16:15

This event is enough to make grown men cry.

Actually I did see grown men cry - one on the first day when he tried to jump a stile, slipped in the mud and almost castrated himself , the second about 16miles into day 2 being comforted by the emergency doctor, twisted knee and told he could not continue.

MM and AC - walking poles are allowed on the event if you are concerned about your knees. I ran without on day 1 and 2, because I thought it would be a hinderance, but then took one out on day 3, very useful on the descents and for forging your way through the mud. Lots of folks used them on this, although its not something I would usually bother with, if its allowed in the rules, then its worth giving yourself the option.

13/02/2013 at 16:24

Tigerspaw - OUCH.. though have to say jumping stiles is never a good idea..   good idea re poles - I have some and was thinking of taking them for exactly as you've described.. though wondered if I would use them.. prob good to have an option - particularly if my knee isn't coping with descents..

16/02/2013 at 12:52

I only use walking poles on mountains usually and then only if i have to, i find they just get in the way. but i could stick one in the pack.

18/02/2013 at 15:45

Lovely running day today folks - decided to take your advice Tigerspaw and MM and go takle some hill repeats.. I found a lovely "mound" near me that climbs 72meters per km.. starting at a lovely 17% then mellowing out to around 5%.. I worked out that to cover about 3000feet I need to run it just under 10 times.. made 5 and gave up, but saving myself for my last long run set this weekend B2B 20miles..  I really noticed the pounding in my quads descending!!  As you said MM, its the accumulation of climbing and descending that gets you!  Couldn't help but love being out on a day like today tho.. What beautiful weather we are having.. and what a difference it can make to your running!!  

Hope all is going well JCCers!

20/02/2013 at 16:28

did a nice long run at the weekend, 16.5 miles, but sadly not over hills, on a flattish trailway, just wanted to go for some distance. back on the hills the next couple of weeks though. maybe this one!

http://s0.geograph.org.uk/photos/41/47/414792_e571581d.jpg

21/02/2013 at 09:48

OMG MM - that is beautiful... and a little terrifying! I am in envy of your beautiful "local".. I can't really complain though - we have some lovely woods to run in..  This is the best hill I could find nearby.. you don't really get the perspective but just imagine that it rolls down to the village in the distance..  We have had a change of plan this weekend.. B2B will be up and down this hill (prob) x 10.. makes a 20km run with over 3000 ft climb! We decided we could squeeze a 20 mile in March and so getting some climbing in our legs would be better for now!

http://s4.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/585599/gallery/watlingtonhill.jpg?width=350

21/02/2013 at 09:55

Dont be too terrified, thats one of the hills you'll be going up on day three!
Looking down Arish Mell, and up Flowers Barrow

Your hill looks big enough given the view i can see!
I'm worried i wont be ready. . .

21/02/2013 at 10:15

because some of us are getting on a bit?

21/02/2013 at 12:40

MM - sounds like you are putting in the miles and training on the perfect terrain - sure you will be fine.. grand even!!   Plenty of time to squeeze in another LSR and taper!!  

DF3 -  Running dinosaurs or the regular kind?  I am a bit excited to see this part of the world.. not sure if I will stop to gather and carry any fossils tho... that's fossils of the rocky variety.. not running kind

04/03/2013 at 09:56

Terrain Report!
went to Lulworth yesterday to do a 3 hour 'run'
i say it in inverted commas cos the section we did ( Lulworth to just past Tyneham and back) contains a lot of vertical!
Paths are fairly dry at the moment in that section, couple of bits of mud but its fairly firm. Good running where it was possible. Even going down hills in minimalist shoes there was no slipping apart from on a loose shaley bit.
No idea what the rest of the route is like, might do a short run from durlston in the next couple weeks to check it from the other end.

04/03/2013 at 13:40

OH that is exciting news MM - I've had a bit of a set back have managed to tweak my knee (Quad tendon) with some over ambitious downhill running last week which has meant Ive not been able to run all week  I am off to physio again today and hope with rest and strapping I will get to the start ((  

I really wanted to get one more 3hour in and then some little B2Bs  - def can't run still and any walking, other than dead flat terrain is a problem.  I feel really deflated but still hopeful with two weeks to go I can start and still run at least one day!  I am having a "kit and race planning dinner" with my fellow entrants later in the week... NOT LONG NOW!!

Hope you are all well JCCers!

04/03/2013 at 14:44

Yes we are having a planning meeting this week too!!

07/03/2013 at 09:51

Not long now folks!! Is anyone freaked out by the military range we have to cross through.. I definitely won't be taking any detours from the path!!  How is everyone feeling? Prepared?? 

I had a sports "massage" yesterday and I am developing a rather fancy collection of bruises down my legs..  All good, hoping it will at least get me pain free - even if only for the start.. So peeved that I have been training (not perfectly but consistently) for 12 months and with a month to go I get injured! FLAMMING FRUITSTICKS!  Dodgy piriformis, patella tendon, soleus etc etc.. But like all you other mad runners out there, I will put my body on the start line and have a go anyway... besides.. I might come good in the next few weeks.. 

07/03/2013 at 10:13

AC, the military range is fine! have walked and run it many times, the wide paths are clearly marked between yellow posts, its a popular walking area. Also there is no firing on the weekend so we wont have to duck!
My concern is the 4 mile detour that still seems to be in place from Kimmeridge to near Worth Matravers. The hill we will have to climb is about the highest thing around (swyre head). Its the highest level you can see in the middle of this picture!
Mind you the views are spectacular!
Are you doing all three days - hats off to you!

http://s3.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/592148/gallery/coastal.jpg?width=350

07/03/2013 at 12:50

MM - thanks you have cheered me up no end - I didn't fancy being shot to pieces!! What a fab photo aswell..I am hoping to do 3 days but will have to see how the leg holds up!  The detour looks like a challenge to say the least.. Do you think they will change the finish point then to keep the miles down - or just add it on?  Is that day 2?  

07/03/2013 at 14:14

What do you get if you cross a dinosaur with a pig?

07/03/2013 at 14:23

Jurassic Pork!!

07/03/2013 at 14:26

AC, no idea what they will do with the detour, I'm waiting until they give out the final race instructions which i think is after this weekend? they might have some more info for us. I suppose they could change the finish to middle beach instead of shell bay if they wanted to make it shorter, but i'm expecting the worst just in case!
Its day 3

11/03/2013 at 12:43

Has everyone got their instruction pack email?
looks like we are following the detours, and the finish stays the same.
unless the coast path is opened up again by then, which i doubt

ho hum - extra mileage anyone?

21 to 40 of 62 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.