Kennet and Avon Canal Ultra 56 miles

Anybody signed up for this???

6 messages
20/08/2012 at 21:41
Still toying with the idea of entering this one. Thinking I could use it as a LSR for the Snowdonia Marathon. Anybody else signed up? Done a few hot hilly races over the last couple of weeks, I don't really fancy another one, so any locals know how much potential shade there is on the course? I know it'll be flat but ran the BBCHM in 2011 (which I imagine to be a similar type of course) in blazing sunshine and didn't enjoy it as there was limited shade so want to know what it will potentially be like before I part with my cash!!!
21/08/2012 at 10:24

I ran from Bristol to Reading along the River Avon and then the Kennet & Avon in December and ran the bit from Bristol to Bradford-on-Avon again in March as a LSR for London.  The towpath is obviously pretty flat (although there is a short steep climb as the canal leaves Bath and again at Devizes).  There are places where the towpath was pretty muddy because it gets used by cyclists quite a lot and my pace slowed quite badly.  It was also tough on the achilles tendons!  It's a beautiful route, though, so I'd recommend it.

22/08/2012 at 07:38

Thanks Joolska, thats what I kind of expected in terms of terrain.  Just looking for a few long races to break up the training a bit, just not sure if £30 is reasonable for what you get, may keep looking....

22/08/2012 at 10:15

This event might break up the training a bit more than you would care for. 

22/08/2012 at 12:38

Yes, should add that I presume you're planning on doing the shorter option to Devizes rather than running to Newbury, as 56M is not marathon-specific training!

22/08/2012 at 19:27

Correct, was planning on only doing the 21miler as a change of scenery for my LSR.  

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
6 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.