Kent Coastal Marathon 2011

Knowledge?

1 to 20 of 119 messages
24/01/2011 at 21:27

Does anyone have any information on this one, such as Good / Bad / Hilly / Flat / VFM?

I certainly like the idea of entries on the day being allowed!

Paul

24/01/2011 at 21:44

Paul - I have only every done the half marathon, it is undulating. I have been told the marathon which is the half marathon course and then you go straight on at the finish is flatter. Thanet RC races are very well organised events. I am not a member btw, thou have also done therer 10 mile race in December twice.

So I would say it is a good race, undulating and not as flat as VLM. Hope that helps.

24/01/2011 at 22:19

THanks Tracey for the kind words - are we seeing you this year?

Paul - the first half is definitely undulating - the second half much flatter but can be a bit lonely so best to ask your supporters to go there.  If you are definitely wanting to do it best not to leave it to the day to get your entry in - the last few years there has been a really mad scramble for places on the day and a few people have ended up disappointed!

24/01/2011 at 22:25
JDFI - Well hubby has a 3 day weekend, so it is a possiblity. Hoping that Cinders might be able to do it with me again.
25/01/2011 at 20:28

Thanks to you both, Sharon and Tracey - hmmm, or should I say Messrs Theodopolopodos and Stubbs?

I'm now definitely not sure, as I was going to hold off committing until a bit nearer the time. I do, however, quite fancy using it as a fitness booster prior to Liverpool on 9 October, which I also put in for a few days ago. Two races in reasonably close succession should make the training seem more worthwhile.

26/01/2011 at 13:35

Comon Paul you know it makes sense  You can enter right up to the closing day we usually have spaces, the only issue with on the day is that we have to limit these so it can be a gamble.

26/01/2011 at 20:02
Well in that case, how can I possibly refuse? Margate here I come!
26/01/2011 at 23:08

Paul - I think you have talked yourself into it. I got a great spot prize one year that I did the race, in fact it the best spot prize I have every had.

26/01/2011 at 23:40
It just gets better and better!
27/01/2011 at 10:23
And we have the best marshals ever - complete with jelly babies
27/01/2011 at 16:57
Flippant remark withheld.
27/01/2011 at 21:53
I never realised before that jelly babies made such good marshalls! Presumable the fruit flavoured ones don't need HV jackets as they stand out by themselves.
28/02/2011 at 12:46
Did this last year but as a "training" run for Abingdon. Thinking of doing again as my main marathon for the autumn (but a bit early) as a mate is getting married and his stag weekend is same as Nottingham and weding is same as Abingdon...now inconsiderate is that!
28/02/2011 at 18:57
I missed out last year because of a wedding, which was especially inconsiderate as the bride works for New Balance!
28/02/2011 at 18:59

Wish people would plan their weddings better

Did you sort the parking for them Sir C de C?

01/03/2011 at 18:24
No, we got there late as Google maps had not updated the instructions and we encountered a number of roundabouts which were not supposed to be there.   On the positive side, we did get to drive all the way round the outside of Bolton's Reebok stadium - twice!
12/03/2011 at 23:49

I did this last year and found it very enjoyable.  Most of the course was flat, although there were some mild hills at the start of the race.  The support from the crowds was phenomenal - it felt as though the whole town had turned out to cheer on the runners, and it certainly helped to keep me focused towards the end of the race when I started to tire.  If you're looking for a marathon where you can try and set a personal best then choose this one - the (mostly) flat course is ideal for a fast run and the marshals dotted around the course ensured that the energy gels and water never ran out.

Zac.

20/03/2011 at 21:10
My sister lives in Margate. How weird is that!
16/04/2011 at 18:53

I just found this  race, and I am wondering if it would a good first marathon for me?? I see no personal music is allowed, silly how that can make me stumble slighty , as I have never ran without my music.

16/04/2011 at 22:39
You'd probably get away with one earpiece!
1 to 20 of 119 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.