Kent Coastal Marathon

1 to 20 of 689 messages
07/12/2004 at 10:23
Blimey, starting off a new thread, that's a first for me! Then again, so is marathon running.

Just been rejected for the FLM, need to do a south east based marathon in spring / summer 2005, this one seems to fit the bill. Thing is, the web address doesn't work.

Can anyone tell me what the course is like? I'll email the organiser as well, but in the meantime all viewpoints welcome! Ta.
07/12/2004 at 11:32
We are currently working on next year's programme of races and we will have further information about it early next year.
Sorry for the lack of information, but our calendar is going through a re-work period...

07/12/2004 at 12:02
Thanks very much David. :)
09/12/2004 at 08:59
web address:

www.thanetroadrunners.org.uk/

details will be available in january
13/02/2005 at 19:32
I have been to the thanet runners site, but it seems there are still no info about the marathon. Is that right?
13/02/2005 at 21:10
...the marathon is usually the first weekend in September...that would be the 4th this year.

It is a hilly first half going from Margate to Ramsgate and back. The second half is flatter as you follow the promenades to Minnis Bay and back.

There is usually a half on the same day.

13/02/2005 at 22:24
Thanks for that info, Corridore, it is helpfull. How big are the hills in the forst half. I am looking for a PB.
Dark Vader    pirate
13/02/2005 at 22:54
Its nit really 'hilly', more 'undulating.. this was my first marathon last summer on what was one of the hottest days of the year. I'd still recommend it.. only down side was that there was no medal...

13/02/2005 at 23:16
Thanks, think I'll go for it.
14/02/2005 at 08:48
We'll be putting the entry forms and more information out over the next couple of weeks.

There will be a half the same day. We are hoping that we can make improvements to the race this year with energy gels on route and better prizes...

25/02/2005 at 23:20
Hi, I have just registered for the marathon over the internet. I live in Oz and will be visiting the UK in Aug/Sep. Can anybody recommend some accomodation in Margate during the event? Also, how do you get to Margate from London!

Cheers,
David
26/02/2005 at 10:08
Hi David, easiest way to Margate from London is train from London Victoria.
26/02/2005 at 22:57
Thanks Cinders, any suggestions for accommodation. I suppose Margate is huge and there would be hundreds of places to stay?
04/03/2005 at 16:25
I would suggest Looking at the accommodation list on the bottom of the events page. Margate isn't that big, so its not too far away from anywhere. However, Smith's Hotel is very close by to the start - about 50 yards.

djb
04/03/2005 at 16:37
Except that I see that it has now stopped working :-(.

Hmmmm... I'll try to dig up a few details. NO worries there is no hurry to book accommodation yet. We will find you somewhere to stay!
21/03/2005 at 17:58
Thanet Roadrunners Announce New Sponsor for Kent Coastal Marathon

Thanet Roadrunners AC are pleased to announce that the 2005 Kent Coastal Marathon, held on Sunday 4th September, has a new headline sponsor on-board, Fosters Solicitors, who have offices in Herne Bay and Ramsgate. Fosters join existing supporters, Pfizer and Thanet District Council, to help bring this event to the area.

Edward Foster, Senior Partner of Fosters Solicitors, said, “We are delighted to be able to support what is a major sports event in the County, and an important feature in Thanet’s own sports and tourism calendar. We are hopeful that, in the coming years, our relationship with Thanet Roadrunners will develop further – although, personally, I do not think I will be ready to compete quite yet!”

Race Directors Dave Bennett and Mark Foster are very pleased with the sponsorship deal. Dave said, “The commitment from Fosters Solicitors will allow us to help this event grow. We’re pleased to be associated with a local company who are clearly interested in developing the area. We are looking to make this race a flagship event for Thanet and Kent, bringing people from all over the country to the area, and the support from Fosters will allow us to do this.”

Mark added, “The race will also see a number of other innovations over the next few years. Starting this year there will be feed stations en route, where runners can pick up Science In Sport ‘Go’ gels, to help prevent runners ‘hitting the wall’. The ‘Go’ gels, supplied by Downland Cycles of Canterbury, are unique in that they don’t need to be taken with water and hence are easy to swallow. This is an important feature for runners taking part in the full 26.2 mile run.”

There will also be an increase in the prize money offered this year, and an expected prize fund of over £1000, with other spot prizes for runners who aren’t vying for a top three place.

The race is the only full-length marathon in the county of Kent and probably the best value marathon in the country. Runners who are who are keen to take part are encouraged to enter early. Entry forms can be downloaded from www.thanetroadrunners.org.uk/events/marathon. The club will also be running a half marathon on the same day.
28/03/2005 at 22:09
Hi David

I live in West London and your marathon works well for me in terms of the date and location.

Is it flat, if no what gradient hills?

Can you advise, what time does the marathon start, are there plenty of parking spaces, are there showers and toilets at the finish?

I note from the email thread there was no souvenir medal last year, will there be one this year?

Tim
timjsizeland@aol.com
01/04/2005 at 21:23
Hi-am considering entering this as my first marathon after completing the Hastings half. Am also wondering about the medals, very sad I know, but really want to get a medal for completing first marathon, although I do really like the sound of this one. Should I sacrifice the medal and stop being such a sad newbie?
Dark Vader    pirate
01/04/2005 at 23:08
The lack of a medal was a real downer for me last year. In fact, my wife even went to a local shop and had one made for me specially! Only cost £1.25, including the engraving!

01/04/2005 at 23:48
Ducati Man - thats a very thoughtful wife and a very good idea. Think i will enter this one as really like the sound of the event. Is it very hilly and is it hilly throughout thr first half or is that flats as well, as don't want to be over ambious and not finish! Thanks.
1 to 20 of 689 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.