Kent Roadrunner Marathon

June 2013

61 to 80 of 252 messages
25/04/2013 at 12:13

Kathy - yes, but it's still nice to support 'local' races. But I have to say the Swansea Bay 10k is more picturesque than Croydon!!!!

Focussing on Llanelli until Sunday, I've not given this race much thought, but I have to say, looking into everything now, there is such a feel good factor to how this race is organised. I almost hope this is nobody's first marathon as you don't always get spoilt like this!!!

Makes me really glad to be supporting it.

First run since Sunday's marathon last night - hilly 10k race at 6.38 pace and highest placing all year!! - And most importantly, feeling good today!

25/04/2013 at 15:28

TZ- ive sent an e mail regarding my entry. I entered online, and only got one from runners world acknowledging my entry.

Will you send confirmation via e mail shortly? Also looking forward to this one. I will go for the band option. Obviously we have to provide own bands and drop them off after each lap on a table i take it?

TZ
25/04/2013 at 18:06

Hi Andrew. Email confirmations for the past week of entrants will be out later today. We have been busy managing the wait list in the past couple of days.

We supply the wrist bands and the boxes to put them into each lap. We have a stock here of many many thousand bands ready for you all

29/04/2013 at 19:20

TZ

Having missed out on the London marathon due to a chest infection, im looking forward to achiveing my goal at the kent roadrunners marathon on June 1st. My question is about training. A month before the london i did my 20 miler and tappered from there, i managed a 2 1/2 hour bike/xtrain session 2 weeks prior to the London but then i became ill. Since London i have been for one 4 miler(last thurs) and a 10 miler on the weekend(which was faster than my 10 miler pre marathon. In your opinion should i be building up to 20 miles again? i planned to possibly do it this sat,  i then have 2 days to recover before going back to work.  I can do a months taper as i had planned originally for London.

GTC
30/04/2013 at 22:04

My apologies for a tardy response to those KRRM that emailed me on Runners World. I have now responded and just want to repeat that if anyone doing the Kent RRM still wants to take part in my research project then please email me direct at g.cochrane4232@student.leedsmet.ac.uk as the more the merrier. I promise to email back pre-study questionnaires asap if you still have 2 long runs left (at least  half marathon distance or more). Thank you to those already taking part.

GTC
02/05/2013 at 14:52

Hello all, ...I go away for 3 weeks & this thread goes crazy!

TZ - thanks as usual for all the helpful information - it's great to be kept informed. Regarding the race numbers, I dont really have a request - happy to be allocated any number (so long as it isnt 13!).

GTC - I'll email you about the questionnaires.

Kathy - hope you are back on track ok now? I've had similar break from marathon training, sorry to hear about Brighton though - how disappointing for you. I take it you are also from Croydon way? I'll be staying in the Travelodge in Dartford & getting a taxi to the start...send me a message if you'd like to share a taxi - I'm not sure how far apart the Premier Inn and Travelodge are though?

Cable - congratulations on the marathon time and for the GP 10k. I've missed 2 now, have a lot of catching up to do! 6.38 pace on a hilly course is terrific.

We went to Turkey for 2 weeks & as soon as we came back to UK I came down with manflu... (heavy cold), unfortunately it was enought to interfere with running. So due to the heat in Turkey & difficulty breathing, I've not trained as much or run as far as I'd have liked to. Think I will need to re-adjust my finish time goal - perhaps look to get round in 4:30, as time is running out now.

Hope to do a longer run this weekend, but I'm still coughing hard, so might set out at snails pace. Dont think I've lost too much fitness in these past 3 weeks otherwise - we did loads of walking and swimming on holiday & I ran, albeit slowly on alternate days.

hope everyone has a good bank holiday weekend.

Good luck with the last month of training!

Cheers

TZ
02/05/2013 at 17:16

LTS - Somebody has already selected number 13, so you're safe

Tom - I would not advise now doing a 20 miler as you may not recover sufficiently. If you want the confidence of a long run, how about a 10 miler in the morning (keep the pace easy) and then a 6-8 miler in the afternoon (try to run it a tad faster than the morning, but don't go nuts!).

You have to balance training versus keeping your body fit and healthy for race day. It's no good training so much that you're wasted on the day!

Another good idea is to do back-to-back runs. So instead of a 20 on one day, do 11 on one day, and perhaps 12 on the other.

Whatever you do, eat well and drink A LOT in the 48 hours leading up to the race day. I ran a marathon in Italy yesterday and ended up on a drip with dehydration. Needless to say I didn't run especially well either!! Don't copy my mistakes

03/05/2013 at 10:34

TZ - sorry to hear about your experience yesterday - how awful! Was it the heat that contributed to it? Hope you have made a full recovery.

Have a good bank holiday weekend all.

My cold/cough has got a lot worse in the last 24 hours, but I'm hoping to fit in a long run sunday or monday. Might take your advise TZ and do 12 one day, 10 the next. Too late for me now to squeeze in anything above 16 unfortunately.

03/05/2013 at 10:48

Tz

sorry to here about Italy, I hope you are feeling better more.

i should have said it was a chest infection that stopped me running the london. I feel back to full fitness now however. As far as the 20 miler I did a month pre london, is that in the bank or would I have lost some of the conditioning?

I don't feel I need to do this distance for confidence more for the physiological gains. 

03/05/2013 at 10:50

That was suppose to be better now....

TZ
03/05/2013 at 16:47

I'm all fine now. My issue was not drinking enough prior to the race, which was very humid.

Tom - that 20 is now six weeks ago so you will have started to lose the benefit a bit. If you can fit in a 20 this weekend then I'd say that's fine, but no later as it'll then be too close to race day.

03/05/2013 at 17:03

Hey LTS and all,

Yep, Croydon born and bred! Unfortunately have lost the accent though as lived abroad for several years and now in sunny Redhill

I got back into my training and then my youngest son took very ill and we spent 6 days with him in hospital. He is doing well now, running around in the garden squabbling with the other two!

So, coming back fighting yet again, I'm back on the program this week. Going to concentrate on more speed training and see how I get on with the long runs. Doing the Three Forts Challenge (the half only!) in Worthing on Sunday.

Hope you manage to shift your cough and cold LTS, try and get some good rest. I'll probably be driving on race day so could swing by the Travelodge en route. Will message you when I know for sure.

Hope you're feeling better too TZ.

Have a great bank holiday weekend!

TZ
04/05/2013 at 21:46

I'm fine and back to the more relaxed world of Race Directing for a while

05/05/2013 at 19:10

Hi TZ - I see the race is full, any chance of a space?

TZ
05/05/2013 at 19:26

KateF - Please place your name onto the wait list at the link below. The list is moving and we've been able to offer a lot of people entries from the list so far.

http://www.kentroadrunner.com/register.html

06/05/2013 at 09:04

I have done, fingers crossed.

TZ
06/05/2013 at 11:07

08/05/2013 at 08:33

Hi all, hope everyone had a good bank holiday weekend. Lovely weather in south wales....Back to rain today though!

TZ - glad to hear you are back to full health after the dehydration incident - must have been scary at the time....we just aren't used to the heat in the UK! Italy sounds a lovely location for a marathon...I guess heat like that is unusual in April? We had a similar heatwave in Turkey - it reached 31 degrees on 27th April.

Kathy - thank you very much for the kind offer - that sounds great. otherwise I'm happy to get a taxi. Have family watching from about mile 13 onwards, so organised getting home afterwards. Glad to hear your youngest is better now after they were taken ill. Hope the half in Worthing went ok?

Tom E - what a shame about London. did you manage the 20 miler this weekend?

I'm still full of cold & have a bad chesty cough - had this for 15 days now, can't seem to shift it. Any magic cures for making them disappear?  Ran 13 miles yesterday (would have been longer but I ran in my lunch break) & managed a long walk with my husband in the evening so covered 20 miles total. Only problem was the cough and constantly blowing my nose. Hope it clears up by this weekend.

My plan for the remaining weeks was 4-5 runs of 4-8 miles every week, this friday or saturday 16, next weekend 14-16, bank holiday weekend 12. Although the holiday & cold have set me back a bit I've been running regularly for many years & try to run 30-40mp week, so have good base fitness. Just hope it goes ok on the day...too late now to make any real gains!

Hope training's going well for everyone.

08/05/2013 at 08:44

Kate F - Would be lovely to see you at Kent Roadrunner!

Am really looking forward to this race

08/05/2013 at 14:23

Hi TZ,

thanks for the race number 116 ! Am looking forward to this as ran in the Brighton Marathon but as a pacer so do not have a sense yet of my progression time wise from last year. I was thinking on the day to set up my own fuel station table somewhere along the cycle route if thats ok! Also if it's ok I'll rely on the almost always faithful garmin for my time/distance keepn as a pose to bands. Have managed 24 miles on a treadmill a few weeks ago so hopefully this track should be a doddle mentally by comparison

come on 1st June! I'm wishing this month away

61 to 80 of 252 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.